follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

View Poll Results: Brz, civic si, miata
Brz 45 63.38%
Civic Si 7 9.86%
Miata 13 18.31%
other 6 8.45%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 01-25-2021, 02:38 PM   #15
ninjan00dles

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is there a reason you aren't considering WRX or GTI?

I've owned both a ND1 (2017) and my current FRS (2015). Given you're in NY w/ snow I would think you would want a RF not a softtop..

I'll give you pros and cons of both and it really comes down to your living situation and other factors I can't answer for you.

Pros:
Quieter
More Spacious / Functional
More Theft Proof (vs softtop)
Transport 3rd human being in a pinch
Better for long roadtrips
Steering is phenomenal
Doesn't need roll bar for track
Ample headroom

Cons:
Need a 17+ for bulletproof engine
TOB issues on earlier models
Avoid 2013 like the plague
Avoid 2013-2014 for coilpack issues
Feels slow man (stock)
Subaru build quality
Suspension is not fully adjustable
Clutch feel blows

ND

Pros:
Feels more visceral
More Fun
Feels fast
Quick enough
Clutch feels is amazing
Mazda build quality <3
300 lbs lighter?
Fully adjustable suspension
Double wishbone
Bespoke performance platform (no sedan underpinnings)

Cons:
Loud
Impractical
Small, do not recommend for taller than 5' 10"
Need 2019+ for telescoping steering wheel
Get the 2019+ for that sweet sweet engine update
Less storage, although trunk is impressive for what it is (IMO)
Steering feels overboosted, lack of feedback (my experience from a 2016 & 2017, may have been fixed)
Need rollbar for HPDE goodness

A big thing if you want to HPDE a ND that no one talks about is, if you want to clear an aftermarket rollbar in that car and you are average height you will need an aftermarket seat as well to get low enough. Which means losing side airbags and going to a fixed bucket and also potentially losing sliders (front/aft adjustment). Which isn't great for a daily/dual use car. This is a big reason I switched to a 86 car. Also for the price of a ND you can get a used 86 and slap a supercharger on it and still have play money left over.
ninjan00dles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 03:49 PM   #16
blackhawkdown

Drives: 2012 WRX, 2003 RSX Type S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Trying to decide between an ND Miata, upcoming BRZ, or Civic si

OP it sounds like a WRX is more practical for you since it snows where you live.

I have a stock 2012 wrx, I’m the original owner, with 110k miles with zero problems. The only thing I had to replace was my clutch at 82k miles. It still drives the same at 9 miles in the clock until now.

With some good blizzacks winter tire, the awd will hook up like no other. I highly recommend it since it is inside your budget. The four door practicality and ample space is nice. I have a 2” inch hitch I use to haul trailers and a roof rack system. Also it’s a great DD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
blackhawkdown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blackhawkdown For This Useful Post:
fatoni (01-28-2021)
Old 01-25-2021, 04:13 PM   #17
Red-86

Drives: 86 (sold), 370Z
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepSecurity View Post
Hello, I'm looking into getting one of these as a first car. I'd say the Miata is my overall favorite but my main concern with it is practicality and usability in the winter since I prefer the soft top.
If you prefer the Miata but are worried about winter usability, why not consider the RF? It’s a convertible when you want it to be, and (almost) a coupe when you need it to be. You are comparing it to dedicated coupes/non-convertibles anyway. Even if you insist on soft top, there are removable hard tops you can use in winter, although my understanding is the ND generation aftermarket hard top options are limited.

Quote:
If you guys could give any suggestions or advice it would be greatly appreciated
My suggestion is test drive them all, then decide which provides you the best mix of fun and practicality within your budget. They’re all good cars - you decide, you’re the one who has to live with it, not random posters on a forum.
Red-86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 01:27 PM   #18
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
BRZ and add snow tires.

Light affordable RWD coupes are a rare breed and won't be around forever. Meanwhile, FWD economy cars will always exist.
The Following User Says Thank You to WolfpackS2k For This Useful Post:
NARFALICIOUS (01-30-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 05:40 PM   #19
Snake

Drives: ADM Toyota 86 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
For what it's worth, I think these cars are incredibly reliable, until you start modifying the internals of the engine. Not quite sure where he's coming from. I pounded the hell out of my car for about 35k miles in all conditions (even at negative 20 degrees Fahrenheit) with no issue at all until I had the recall done.
Exactly why I avoided the recall work, too many horror stories on this site, plus not compulsory to re-register the car in Australia.

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snake For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (01-26-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 01:34 PM   #20
iTrytoBefast

Drives: Toyota 86 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepSecurity View Post
Hello, I'm looking into getting one of these as a first car. I'd say the Miata is my overall favorite but my main concern with it is practicality and usability in the winter since I prefer the soft top. I'm located in New York so there will be snow and it will be cold in the winter, so I'm not sure if the soft top is enough. I don't plan on carrying too much stuff but I'm not sure if space is enough as well. The upcoming brz and si are also 2 contenders that may be more practical than the Miata. With the BRZ, my concern is reliability and availability. With the upcoming si, I don't know enough but I'm going to consider it a safe option for now. Depending on availability or reviews, I may also consider getting one from this year. I'm not really looking for speed in a straight line, more along the lines of a light and quick car coming out of turns that's fun. I guess my top priorities go Fun>Reliable>Practical. I also plan to do some light mods such as a tune, cold air intake, exhaust, etc. My budget is somewhere around 30k but it's flexible. If you guys could give any suggestions or advice it would be greatly appreciated

What part of NY?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
iTrytoBefast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 06:21 PM   #21
Goingnowherefast

Drives: AP2 S2000, 91 Miata 1.8L Rotrex 5MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSideFRS View Post
BRZ and reliability don't belong in the same sentence.
Yeah not sure I agree with this. I see you have a 2013 which may explain some of this, but realistically the 2015+ cars are really reliable all things considered. If you keep it NA that is...
soundman98 (01-29-2021)
Old 01-28-2021, 10:08 AM   #22
Matt93SE

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I test drove some '17 and '18 Si and BRZs when I was last shopping for a daily. (I wound up with an Infiniti Q50, soo..... LOL)
For an 'only car', I would pick the Si due to the practicality. it's a larger car with more interior room and you can actually put more than a backpack in the rear seats. The FWD will help with snow as well. Plus Honda reliability. And it's still a fun ride. Because of the turbo, it had more scoot in Houston traffic than a BRZ, and unless you're insistent on drifting in empty parking lots, you won't really miss the RWD because the Civic handles pretty well.

All three are fun cars to drive and reliable when you don't mod the s*** out of them, but you are sacrificing interior room for RWD if you pick BRZ or ND. They both make a great second car, IMO.
Matt93SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 10:35 PM   #23
JusTheG

Drives: 2017 Subaru Forester 2.5L Premium
This is a tough question MeepSecurity. Being from Texas, our weather definitely sees a lot less salt and snow than in NY. So take some of my input with a grain of salt for what I would prefer for a first car.

I think you should value a fun Daily Driver that has enough space for your usage. As most people said, you should always keep the GTI and the WRX in your search for a good deal. Most new cars post 2014+ are built with modern amenities and should be fine for reliability following updates for most automakers with the OEM suppliers and designs.

Keep your operating costs low. Make sure your first car gets decent mileage, as I guarantee having to constantly fill up your car will become more annoying than the performance you get when separating from traffic.

I honestly will be keeping my Forester for my Daily/Utility Vehicle while getting a Manual BRZ hopefully this year if Production can continue on schedule for Subaru. Other vehicles like the Hyundai Veloster N, a decently low-mileage 2017+ 370Z, or a Fiesta ST wouldn't be bad options to choose from. Never neglect to count out New Sales before 2022 models drop this Summer and Fall so make the most of the search. Good luck!
JusTheG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 10:03 PM   #24
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
What makes the BRZ more practical than an ND the unusable rear seats?

Why not get a hardtop for the ND?
2019+ FBO E85 Tune looks like people are getting close to 190whp and cams putting them at 200whp on a car 400lbs lighter than a BRZ.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 02:49 AM   #25
LancePower

Drives: 2020 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
What makes the BRZ more practical than an ND the unusable rear seats?

Why not get a hardtop for the ND?
2019+ FBO E85 Tune looks like people are getting close to 190whp and cams putting them at 200whp on a car 400lbs lighter than a BRZ.

Rear seats, interior storage space (glove box, etc) and trunk space.
LancePower is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LancePower For This Useful Post:
bfrank1972 (01-30-2021)
Old 01-30-2021, 11:18 AM   #26
Grateful Dave
2nd 86 member

Drives: 2013 Asphalt AT FR-S
I'm still waiting for the new 86 before I make choice.
Grateful Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 11:47 AM   #27
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancePower View Post
Yep! Rear seats are quite usable. When my kids were younger the whole family (me, wife, 2 kids, cross legged) would fit. We are not small people either, I'm 6'2" wife is 5'10. Now kids won't really fit all that well but I can still take them without the wife if I move the passenger seat up. Subaru did an excellent job figuring out usable space in this tiny car (we used to affectionately call it "clown car"). Put the seats down and you have a ton of storage. Sorry, hands down more flexible and practical than any Miata. I think the 86 looks a bit better too but just a matter of preference - I liked the older NB and NC models better than the ND.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bfrank1972 For This Useful Post:
ermax (02-12-2021)
Old 01-30-2021, 12:28 PM   #28
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancePower View Post
So useless rear seats that many people delete there so useless.

A bigger trunk but it’s not big enough to do anything special with compared to the Mx-5s, mx-5 is smaller but isn’t too small to not be usable. In my 86 I never even used the trunk once. Groceries always on passenger seat.

Interior storage is slightly more practical on the brz
But the mx-5 has a center rear locking glove box, and a storage cubby behind each seat, also enough space behind each seat to store a laptop bag / man bag.

Not a lot more the brz can do from a practical storage standpoint vs the mx-5 if you really break it down. On paper it is but in practice not as much.

Plus the mx-5 physically being smaller makes it easier to fit in tight parking spots, not worry as much about door dings having more space between vehicles, maneuvering around tight turns and roads. In that regard it’s more practical.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, buying, first car, help me