follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 01-17-2022, 08:17 PM   #1
NateO

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
OFT or EcuTeK

So I was basically wondering if I should go with the OFT stage 2+ E85 or the Delicious Tuning stage 2 tuning and flex-fuel package for my 2018 BRZ. I'm going to get a Tomei UEL and a invidia N2 catback. I like the oft but I've heard some mixed reviews on it because of varying ethanol percentages at the pump and how that can maybe damage the car over time. Also the pain of having to empty the car if you want to switch over to 93. I like the idea of being able to change to whatever gas I want on the fly but the package is a lot more pricey than the oft. Any thoughts? I'm not planning on going FI any time soon, just looking for a bit of power over stock.
NateO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 08:30 PM   #2
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Flex fuel kit you don't have to change anything and it adjusts based on the ethanol percentage. Have to check with @steve99 but I don't think you can OFT FF tune a facelift car.
Old 01-17-2022, 08:34 PM   #3
NateO

yeah if i went with oft i would just stay on the e85 and 93 tunes I was just wondering how much of a pain it is to have to drain the tank between each tune change if there's no 85 nearby and if varying e85 levels can damage the car at all while running the tune
Old 01-17-2022, 08:43 PM   #4
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateO View Post
yeah if i went with oft i would just stay on the e85 and 93 tunes I was just wondering how much of a pain it is to have to drain the tank between each tune change if there's no 85 nearby and if varying e85 levels can damage the car at all while running the tune
You wouldn't want to drain it, that is a lot of work and has to be done from inside the car as the acces is under the rear seats. The access panel is held down with rtv. Easiest is to run it down low before swapping.
Old 01-17-2022, 08:47 PM   #5
NateO

oops didnt mean drain it fully. i just meant how annoying is it to have bring it down super low before changing tunes and also if varying e85 levels can damage the car overtime
Old 01-17-2022, 08:57 PM   #6
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateO View Post
oops didnt mean drain it fully. i just meant how annoying is it to have bring it down super low before changing tunes and also if varying e85 levels can damage the car overtime
Couldn't tell you. I have been flex fuel since I didn't want to deal with it.

US E85 can very between 51-85% and most E85 tunes are on the safe side and will deal with this range.
Old 01-20-2022, 12:25 AM   #7
demasrv

Drives: 2013 Rally Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I've had an OFT for several years. Great little device, but now I'm interested in a more serious tune tailored to my specific setup I think an ECUtek would serve me better. I've ran both the e85 and 93 stage 2 tunes. You wouldn't want to change the tune every time you fill up IMO. It'll reset your accelerator pedal position which is annoying. It also sucks to sit there and watch fuel trims.

Honestly, I wouldn't run E85 without the flex fuel kit given the varying degrees of ethanol content based on temperature/gas station.
demasrv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to demasrv For This Useful Post:
x808drifter (01-20-2022)
Old 01-20-2022, 12:00 PM   #8
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by demasrv View Post
I've had an OFT for several years. Great little device, but now I'm interested in a more serious tune tailored to my specific setup I think an ECUtek would serve me better. I've ran both the e85 and 93 stage 2 tunes. You wouldn't want to change the tune every time you fill up IMO. It'll reset your accelerator pedal position which is annoying. It also sucks to sit there and watch fuel trims.

Honestly, I wouldn't run E85 without the flex fuel kit given the varying degrees of ethanol content based on temperature/gas station.
There are guys who can do a custom tune for you for OFT, I have a custom OFT FF tune in my car. You can do an OFT FF tune on pre facelift cars.
Old 01-21-2022, 12:33 AM   #9
demasrv

Drives: 2013 Rally Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
There are guys who can do a custom tune for you for OFT, I have a custom OFT FF tune in my car. You can do an OFT FF tune on pre facelift cars.

That's definitely true/fair. I just keep seeing ECUtek tunes included with most of the FI or FlexFuel kits out there.
demasrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 12:10 PM   #10
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by demasrv View Post
That's definitely true/fair. I just keep seeing ECUtek tunes included with most of the FI or FlexFuel kits out there.
I haven't seen a FF kit include the tune before.