follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-31-2016, 11:45 AM   #29
morswestford

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
The upcoming CSG exhaust may be your answer.

It passes the 90dB Laguna Seca test, as well as the "Irvine" test, with boost, without cats, and E85.
oh when does it come out and how much does it cost? im from PA, and have no idea what the laguna seca test, or "irvine" test are.
morswestford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 01:39 PM   #30
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by morswestford View Post
oh when does it come out and how much does it cost? im from PA, and have no idea what the laguna seca test, or "irvine" test are.
Laguna Seca is a track with strict noise restrictions, stricter than what is Legal in california.

Irvine has draconian noise enforcement. If your car can drive in Irvine without getting pulled over, it means you won't be pissing your neighbors off.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
whataboutbob (11-02-2016)
Old 10-31-2016, 04:06 PM   #31
morswestford

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Laguna Seca is a track with strict noise restrictions, stricter than what is Legal in california.

Irvine has draconian noise enforcement. If your car can drive in Irvine without getting pulled over, it means you won't be pissing your neighbors off.
oh, and when will it come out and how much does it cost
Old 10-31-2016, 04:24 PM   #32
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
oh, and when will it come out and how much does it cost
That is the question that has been going on around the forums for close to a year now? I have no idea of how long it will take, but based on the amount of research I can tell you it wont be a cheap alternative thats for sure. Im waiting on it as well, since my longterms plans include a JRSC and it seems thats what this system is being tested on. We'll see when it comes out I guess.
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 03:00 PM   #33
morswestford

Quote:
Originally Posted by toeout View Post
That's exactly right. It seems expensive upfront, but it's where you'll arrive after going through different frontpipes, midpipes, resonators etc. Only Borla's muffler is big enough to make a meaningful difference and they are the only ones who make something that big for that spot under the driveshaft.

I'm not sure how old your Perrin system is, but my Invidia Q300(itself touted as one of the quietest systems for our car) got louder after 2 years. I went through various Magnaflow resonators ( didn't last over 6 months ), Flowmaster Hushpower muffler (didn't quiet it down enough) and combination of the two. In the end only Borla made a significant difference, as it should since it's big enough to be a main muffler.

I only wish I'd bought Borla earlier before spending money on all the other stuff. Also you can get it for less than $900, I bought mine from FRSport.

is your car supercharged as well? is there any loss of power going with the dual muffler setup? will i lose any power going this route? i think im set on replacing my front pipe with the catted quite pipe from JDL, as well as doing this dual muffler setup, but i was wondering if theres any loss of power from that? would i also need to get my car retuned?
Old 11-02-2016, 04:18 PM   #34
toeout

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Quote:
is your car supercharged as well? is there any loss of power going with the dual muffler setup? will i lose any power going this route? i think im set on replacing my front pipe with the catted quite pipe from JDL, as well as doing this dual muffler setup, but i was wondering if theres any loss of power from that? would i also need to get my car retuned?

My car is not supercharged. I felt no loss in power, Borla's muffler is a straight through design. I didn't get a retune, because that muffler in that spot is no different than a stock or aftermarket resonator, only difference is more canister volume.

I would buy the muffler first and then see if you still need to change out the front pipe. IMO the resonators on all the aftermarket front pipes are so small, the they make very little difference sound wise.
toeout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to toeout For This Useful Post:
calic (11-05-2016)
Old 11-02-2016, 04:26 PM   #35
morswestford

Quote:
My car is not supercharged. I felt no loss in power, Borla's muffler is a straight through design. I didn't get a retune, because that muffler in that spot is no different than a stock or aftermarket resonator, only difference is more canister volume.

I would buy the muffler first and then see if you still need to change out the front pipe. IMO the resonators on all the aftermarket front pipes are so small, the they make very little difference sound wise.

sounds good thx for the advice. think ill go with this setup. i asked my tuning shop about needing it retuned but they are away at SEMA. i guess it probably doesn't need it anyways.
The Following User Says Thank You to morswestford For This Useful Post:
calic (11-05-2016)
Old 11-02-2016, 06:07 PM   #36
calic

Drives: Subaru Brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

I'm running into a similar problem as op. Does the borla muffler bolt up to the perrin?

Instagram: limitedbreeze
calic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 06:19 PM   #37
toeout

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by calic View Post
I'm running into a similar problem as op. Does the borla muffler bolt up to the perrin?

It does not. It bolts up to the front pipe, but the connection to the axle back has to be welded together. Good spot for it is the straight section after the Borla muffler, you can see it on my picture.
toeout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to toeout For This Useful Post:
calic (11-02-2016)
Old 11-05-2016, 04:32 PM   #38
calic

Drives: Subaru Brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
It does not. It bolts up to the front pipe, but the connection to the axle back has to be welded together. Good spot for it is the straight section after the Borla muffler, you can see it on my picture.
So this is for anyone running into this problem and is cheap like me.

I kind of followed your advice. I'm running the unresonated perrin 2.5, so I took our stock mid pipe resonator and cut it. And had my shop weld it to the perrin midpipe. Basically it's the same thing as the perrin mid pipe except they want 300 bucks for it. The car has no more rasp and sounds like it should of been loud, but not to loud.

I feel like I can change the front pipe out without killing my ears now. Thanks again for the inspiration and a easy mod to do. As long as you didn't sell your stock parts.

Instagram: limitedbreeze
calic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
borla, cold engine start, invidia, jackson racing, perrin