follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 03-29-2012, 12:57 PM   #1
stlgrym3

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
i'm leaning toward BRZ but will it be easier to get a FR-S?

from what i've seen so far looks like Subaru will bring over limited quantity at initial launch, while my Scion deal gave me the impression it'll be just like the new TC, regular volume will flow in each month.
stlgrym3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:05 PM   #2
IconicRider

Drives: 06 Forenza 325i
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I had a change of heart and wanted the BRZ more after the Dallas Auto Show and seeing it in person. that Monday I was ready to go, so this is what I was told by the only dealer not marking up MSRP in my area....

Subaru of Plano, they are listed to recieve 15 of the first year model. so I called and was told 14 people already are on the wait list, and they are expecting of an average of "1 per month". To me that would mean a years wait, and by then the next year model would be ready to go.

to top it all off they wanted $1,000 non-refundable despoit to be added to the wait list.
IconicRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #3
zoomzoomers

Drives: 2013 Subaru SWP BRZ Limited 6AT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IconicRider View Post
I had a change of heart and wanted the BRZ more after the Dallas Auto Show and seeing it in person. that Monday I was ready to go, so this is what I was told by the only dealer not marking up MSRP in my area....

Subaru of Plano, they are listed to recieve 15 of the first year model. so I called and was told 14 people already are on the wait list, and they are expecting of an average of "1 per month". To me that would mean a years wait, and by then the next year model would be ready to go.

to top it all off they wanted $1,000 non-refundable despoit to be added to the wait list.
I doubt that this is true. I mean these aren't Ferrari's and are mass produced. If dealerships really did receive one to two cars per month, the car would probably flop after a few months. It's a good car, but it's not like the competition is non-existant. In the end, nobody knows anything for sure. So let's wait and hope for the best.
Man Law#17:A man in the company of a hot, seductively dressed, woman MUST remain sober enough to fight!

MODS: AVO tubes + filter, Cusco (F) strut brace w/ MC brace, Perrin CBE, Subaru OEM trunk tray, Grimmspeed front license re-locator & hood struts and Beatsonic rear cam.
zoomzoomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:10 PM   #4
poormans_LFA
FT86Club.com O.G.

Drives: Gunmetal Gundam Wing Zero Custom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
let the first year hype wear down then pull the trigger. if you want a BRZ.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:18 PM   #5
powertrip

Drives: Mercedes C320, S2000
Just give it some time, once the initial hype dies down you will be able to get one. Maybe even find them off lots with a little planning. It's always this way with hot models at first then after that initial rush wears out its just like any other car.
powertrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:20 PM   #6
S2kphile
Resident HoneyBadger

Drives: Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrip View Post
Just give it some time, once the initial hype dies down you will be able to get one. Maybe even find them off lots with a little planning. It's always this way with hot models at first then after that initial rush wears out its just like any other car.
That or just wait for a used one to come on dealer lots & save yourself alotta money because I expect some people to trade it in because it's a car did not meet their hype.
S2kphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #7
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,519 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
If you are 15 of 15, you should be able to easily argue them out of the non-refundable clause.

1st, you don't know what the car will cost. They can't lock you into buying something without telling you the price. Pretty sure that's illegal.

But also, why are they worried you won't buy the car? If they have sold out of the allocations, then obviously the demand is there. If you don't take the car, they will easily be able to unload the car on another buyer.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:25 PM   #8
Spd229

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S AT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I was leaning heavily towards the BRZ as well, but once things were to a point I could pre-order the dealership in my area had 5 or so pre-orders on file and given that quantities are questionable who knows how that would play out for me.

Given the price($25kish for premium, $27k for ltd), if things don't work out with the FR-S I will be placing an order once things clear up for the BRZ (actual delivery dates in my area, initial reaction to supply and allocation, etc).

I need a car soon so I chose to go with the FR-S as I am first in line at my local dealership, does irk me things didn't flow so well with the BRZ but at heart they're nearly the same car so I'm sure in time I won't be too bothered by it...at least I hope.

Overall it depends on what trim you're shooting for:

If premium:
Did you really want the in-dash navigation?
Seat Quality parity between the fr-s and brz premium are still theoretical at this point as far as info goes (different, unknown materials, wear, etc)
Did you want HID / LED DRLS?

Are these things you want immediately? Do you want to wait for those things?

If you were going for the limited however, there's not much comparison:
Premium
+Fogs
+Leather / Alcantara / Seat Warmers
+Pushstart
+Spoiler

If you can afford to wait, as others have mentioned, it will be beneficial given that you may be able to haggle with the dealership and get an awesome price compared to what the early adopters will receive for a BRZ.

To answer the original question however: Initial quantities will be low. Give it time and odds are you'll have no problem.
Spd229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:27 PM   #9
Spd229

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S AT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco-REX View Post
If you are 15 of 15, you should be able to easily argue them out of the non-refundable clause.

1st, you don't know what the car will cost. They can't lock you into buying something without telling you the price. Pretty sure that's illegal.

But also, why are they worried you won't buy the car? If they have sold out of the allocations, then obviously the demand is there. If you don't take the car, they will easily be able to unload the car on another buyer.
If you actually agree to it, is it still illegal? I've heard a lot of mixed opinion on it...granted I'm sure it varies by area and it wouldn't surprise me if GA allowed something like that

Had that issue come up with a dealership wanting a $500 non-refundable on an FR-S with a $1200 markup.....blew my mind.
Spd229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #10
tachi1247

Drives: 04 BMW 330i & 03 Mazdaspeed Protege
Quote:

Dealer is likely mis-informed. Per the SOA release almost a month ago, they have only released allocation information for the time period of launch through November. After that production will likely ramp up to at least meet demand. Still might not see them on the lot, but everyone with orders in should have one by next spring regardless of how deep they are on the waiting list.

Next years model likely will not hit dealers until august or september of 2013 so that is a long ways away.
tachi1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:12 PM   #11
G-Man

Drives: 1980 corvette, 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
when I talked to them they said 1k refundable
G-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:30 PM   #12
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
FR-S is my backup plan, but only if A. I can't afford BRZ Limited and B. this whole availability thing becomes a problem. I suspect it won't, especially after they announced a production goal of 100,000 units/yr. I think after this year you should be able to do a factory order and get one, they just won't be sitting around on dealer lots.

At Audi, we tell people all the time that our car quantities are extremely limited but they usually aren't that limited, they're just pre-sold before they get to the dealership (Q5, Q7, A3, A4 Avant, S5 coupe and cabriolet, TT coupe and roadster) and you need to do a factory order to get one in the colors/options you want. But then we do have actual limited cars like the TTS, TT RS, S6, S7, S8 and RS5 that we get one allocation per year or less. The fact that the BRZ is spec'd pretty simply with no interior colors or additional options packages should make it easier to find what you want, if they have units incoming. If you were looking for an Audi S5 coupe 6MT Prestige trim with Titanium Package, Sports Differential, Phantom Black Pearl exterior with Magma Red interior and carbon fiber inlays, yeah, you'd have trouble finding one without ordering it

And before I leave that tangent, I think I'm gonna step outside and take an S5 out for a spin...

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:09 PM   #13
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spd229 View Post
If you actually agree to it, is it still illegal? I've heard a lot of mixed opinion on it...granted I'm sure it varies by area and it wouldn't surprise me if GA allowed something like that

Had that issue come up with a dealership wanting a $500 non-refundable on an FR-S with a $1200 markup.....blew my mind.
In many states it's perfectly legal. Unless it's stated as non-refunable specifically then legally it's non-refundable depending on your state laws.

Now most dealerships won't go for non refundable because it's somewhat poor business practice for a car with no pricing released, plenty of time to cancel before they get "stuck" with a special order, etc.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:15 PM   #14
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,936 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spd229 View Post
Wow, what dealer?

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote