follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 10-24-2022, 10:11 PM   #1
Bergycheese348

Drives: TRD Supercharged 2016 FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Internals for TRD Supercharger

Hello everyone.

Long story short, I am starting my research for everything I will need for when i boost my engine. Being this is for a specific and rare supercharger and I just had my engine rebuilt (367 days ago i picked it up), I want to make sure I do it right and do not have any issues down the line. The car is my daily as well as my track car (plan on doing more, as now I am in Michigan rather than Minnesota).

The supercharger I will be going with will be the TRD supercharger. Yes, i know it is rare and not many people have built them (only one person that I know of). I have not acquired it yet, but plan on doing so. I am rebuilding it along with a few buddies of mine. We are all in college, ME majors, and some of them have rebuilt motors before. With all of that said, it is time for the nerdy stuff.

As of right now I was told by Zach (CSG) that the upgrades needed would be:

Rods
Valve Springs
Head Studs
Main Studs
Injectors

I was advised to cap myself at about 350whp, as anymore would be risky long term. I would start with about 300whp originally just to get used to the power, and then have a second tune for that 350whp once I am ready for it (this is all running E85, keep in mind). I plan to go further and push more, but I don't have plans on dropping 15k in the engine being a college student as of now (maybe after i graduate i can). With all that said, anything else that would be a good idea, brands for these internals, etc. The TRD is similar to the Harrop, but is supposedly a little more beefy and better cooling capacity (since it was made for race applications).

Thank you for any feedback!
Bergycheese348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 10:30 AM   #2
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,587 Times in 2,929 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I would suggest finding one first before going any further lol. Once you have the kit, then look into the other stuff

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
Aztec (10-26-2022), PulsarBeeerz (10-26-2022), villainous_frx (10-25-2022), Wally86 (10-26-2022)
Old 10-25-2022, 01:55 PM   #3
alex87f
Meow

Drives: GT86, Volvo 996
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I would suggest enjoying college life first. You'll be able to buy car stuff when you're older. Girls, on the other hand, become a more complicated affair. Best to focus on them for now.
alex87f is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alex87f For This Useful Post:
Aztec (10-26-2022), Wally86 (10-26-2022)
Old 10-25-2022, 02:20 PM   #4
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
I would suggest not being too dead set of a hard to find TRD part. When something is rare for this car, it's really hard to get your hands on.

Otherwise, keep researching. Every one of those parts CSG recommended- look into maybe why they are necessary. If you aren't building in the moment, I would be reading about every component until you understand why it was deemed necessary. You'll be better informed to decide what your goals are, in that case. Go through this Forced Induction forum, read through all the carnage threads. Read through the dyno thread, through the owner's threads for Edelbrock, JSCR, Vortech, HKS, JDL, Fullblown, SBD, Greddy, FA20club (haha), and whatever else is out there.

You will have hours and hours of reading, from people who started their journey likely similar to you. You will see how it ended up for beginners and veteran builders alike. See what limits they found, piece together the commonalities in their resolutions for problems. Maybe you'll come to a different conclusion about some things you think you know? Maybe you'll decide you want to LS swap? or turbo instead of supercharge? Maybe you'll be able to answer what compression ratio you want your built engine to have? There are so many things that go into a good build. If you're really interested in this, you've got a lot of reading to do if you want to have the best experience with your friends and your car. We'll do our best to support you in either case (And if we're not, you've got CSG's line already )
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
Wally86 (10-26-2022)
Old 10-25-2022, 02:52 PM   #5
KMA KiCKz
Certified Wumbologist

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
This would be a very cool build to follow but obtaining one would take some time. IMO, if you can find one, get it but don't work on it until after college or until you're financially comfortable spending that much. Your goals may change over time.

This post was a few years back but I'm not sure if someone had already picked it up:
URL REDACTED TO HELP A FELLOW MEMBER SWOOP BEFORE SOMEONE ELSE DOES

Best of luck on your search

TRD | Brembo | RAYS

Last edited by KMA KiCKz; 10-26-2022 at 02:58 PM.
KMA KiCKz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KMA KiCKz For This Useful Post:
Aztec (10-26-2022)
Old 10-25-2022, 08:07 PM   #6
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Wasn't the TRD supercharger a thing they were only selling to motorsports groups, at $20,000 a piece and you had to buy two of them? I don't think this is something pursuable.

@Bergycheese348 seems like you should get a little more familiarity with the platform, lurk on some builds, and gain a bit more insight.

I think you'll need more than the engine service. What about mounts and drivetrain? Are you going to get poly mounts or inserts? Don't you need a stronger clutch? What about your tune? What about details like ARP wheel studs to replace the toilet-paper factory wheel studs?

Also, 86 as a college car? Well I hope you have somewhere nice and safe to park it. Me, I'd prefer parking a beater on campus.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 11:21 AM   #7
Aztec
Lost in the twisties

Drives: 2014 BRZ Dark Gray Metallic
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergycheese348 View Post
Hello everyone.

Long story short, I am starting my research for everything I will need for when i boost my engine. Being this is for a specific and rare supercharger and I just had my engine rebuilt (367 days ago i picked it up), I want to make sure I do it right and do not have any issues down the line. The car is my daily as well as my track car (plan on doing more, as now I am in Michigan rather than Minnesota).

The supercharger I will be going with will be the TRD supercharger. Yes, i know it is rare and not many people have built them (only one person that I know of). I have not acquired it yet, but plan on doing so. I am rebuilding it along with a few buddies of mine. We are all in college, ME majors, and some of them have rebuilt motors before. With all of that said, it is time for the nerdy stuff.

As of right now I was told by Zach (CSG) that the upgrades needed would be:

Rods
Valve Springs
Head Studs
Main Studs
Injectors

I was advised to cap myself at about 350whp, as anymore would be risky long term. I would start with about 300whp originally just to get used to the power, and then have a second tune for that 350whp once I am ready for it (this is all running E85, keep in mind). I plan to go further and push more, but I don't have plans on dropping 15k in the engine being a college student as of now (maybe after i graduate i can). With all that said, anything else that would be a good idea, brands for these internals, etc. The TRD is similar to the Harrop, but is supposedly a little more beefy and better cooling capacity (since it was made for race applications).

Thank you for any feedback!
Unlike others here, pursue your passion and build this out.
That said, as others have mentioned the key problem is your fixation on the TRD unit.
If you were willing to use a different kit, such as the Edelbrock kit, which most if not all issues have been identified.
Also, CSG Zach is extremely competent with the tuning of that platform, could be a similar 350whp access level.

-Aztec
Aztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 12:07 PM   #8
Bergycheese348

I have found one already and have had conversations with him, but he isn't fully ready to sell it as is for now. He has been running it for some time and has everything to get it up and running.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
I would suggest finding one first before going any further lol. Once you have the kit, then look into the other stuff

As mentioned above, I have a good chance of acquiring one as I have been chatting with him for a while now. It would end up being that or the Harrop kit, as they are pretty similar to each other (besides the TRD being beefed up a bit).

I know I have plenty of hours of reading ahead of me. I was primarily hoping I could get started on some suggestions which I could look further into, as for now things have been scattered as far as I've seen on info.

I let one of my buddies drive the FR-S (he is used to a built turbo Buick Regal), and he loved the way it felt with only 215-220whp, but was too nervous to try pushing it around corners (just installed the Verus UCW wing, and the car had been gripping on the on/off ramps). I then took him for a spin, drove like I do in autocross on a on ramp, and he later said he had never experienced anything like that and he felt like he was gonna die taking the one on ramp. I was driving in my limits, but after that he started to do some research of his own on supercharging it since he wants really badly wants to see it with the supercharger. The point of this is we will have a few people doing some research for it all haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
I would suggest not being too dead set of a hard to find TRD part. When something is rare for this car, it's really hard to get your hands on.

Otherwise, keep researching. Every one of those parts CSG recommended- look into maybe why they are necessary. If you aren't building in the moment, I would be reading about every component until you understand why it was deemed necessary. You'll be better informed to decide what your goals are, in that case. Go through this Forced Induction forum, read through all the carnage threads. Read through the dyno thread, through the owner's threads for Edelbrock, JSCR, Vortech, HKS, JDL, Fullblown, SBD, Greddy, FA20club (haha), and whatever else is out there.

You will have hours and hours of reading, from people who started their journey likely similar to you. You will see how it ended up for beginners and veteran builders alike. See what limits they found, piece together the commonalities in their resolutions for problems. Maybe you'll come to a different conclusion about some things you think you know? Maybe you'll decide you want to LS swap? or turbo instead of supercharge? Maybe you'll be able to answer what compression ratio you want your built engine to have? There are so many things that go into a good build. If you're really interested in this, you've got a lot of reading to do if you want to have the best experience with your friends and your car. We'll do our best to support you in either case (And if we're not, you've got CSG's line already )

You found the one (don't steal it haha). Im a big TRD guy (you can take a look at my build thread and see), and once I found out they made four SCs for it and they actually produce a lot of power I knew that would be what I wanted in the long run. Yes, if i do get it and things don't work out entirely, I may have to wait to install it till after college, but it all depends on how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMA KiCKz View Post
This would be a very cool build to follow but obtaining one would take some time. IMO, if you can find one, get it but don't work on it until after college or until you're financially comfortable spending that much. Your goals may change over time.

This post was a few years back but I'm not sure if someone had already picked it up:
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133683

Best of lunch on your search
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bergycheese348 For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (10-26-2022), KMA KiCKz (10-26-2022)
Old 10-26-2022, 12:16 PM   #9
Bergycheese348

$26,000 and you had to buy two. Priced that way because any reasonable person (not just motorsport teams) wouldn't purchase it, and they had to do it for a sort of 'homologation' thing where the parts had to be offered by dealerships. To my knowledge, three were used, and the fourth was not used. The fourth one ended up being purchased by a member on here, and he later threw it onto his car. Not worth $26k because it was a 'markup' meant to deter buyers (like saying you will only trade a certain fantasy football player for an extremely unreasonable trade).

As mentioned in another comment, the idea was to get a starting idea from some people. I am fairy knowledgable about the platform (spent a lot of time looking at a lot of things), but had not started to dive into engine internals till recently. As for mounts, I already have upgraded engine and transmission mounts, and suspension bushings are on my list of things here really soon. Clutch is already upgraded, as well as I have a lighter flywheel. Yes, it will need to be retuned (already tuned by Zach, and will be tuned by him again afterwards). Wheel studs are a good suggestion, as I have not heard of that as something before (been lurking on the 200whp side of builds in the past).Thats an example of what I was primarily looking for with the post. And yes, we have campus security that sits next to my car almost constantly haha. I park in the back and thats where they sit

Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post
Wasn't the TRD supercharger a thing they were only selling to motorsports groups, at $20,000 a piece and you had to buy two of them? I don't think this is something pursuable.

@Bergycheese348 seems like you should get a little more familiarity with the platform, lurk on some builds, and gain a bit more insight.

I think you'll need more than the engine service. What about mounts and drivetrain? Are you going to get poly mounts or inserts? Don't you need a stronger clutch? What about your tune? What about details like ARP wheel studs to replace the toilet-paper factory wheel studs?

Also, 86 as a college car? Well I hope you have somewhere nice and safe to park it. Me, I'd prefer parking a beater on campus.
Old 10-26-2022, 02:57 PM   #10
KMA KiCKz
Certified Wumbologist

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergycheese348 View Post
You found the one (don't steal it haha). Im a big TRD guy (you can take a look at my build thread and see), and once I found out they made four SCs for it and they actually produce a lot of power I knew that would be what I wanted in the long run. Yes, if i do get it and things don't work out entirely, I may have to wait to install it till after college, but it all depends on how it goes.
LOL sorry just wanted to help since I saw that one a few years ago. I'm also a sucker for OEM+ parts. If I were to boost my car, I would have opted for the same one. I didn't want to spend $5,000+ on a SC that not many know how to install/parts to go along with it. I felt that it would take too much R&D for it to function, especially since my frs is currently my daily. If you do obtain the TRD SC, please post as many pics/info for all of us to see. I'm sure there are many others who are as interested.

TRD | Brembo | RAYS
KMA KiCKz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KMA KiCKz For This Useful Post:
Bergycheese348 (10-26-2022), DarkPira7e (10-26-2022)
Old 10-26-2022, 04:04 PM   #11
Bergycheese348

Yeah, luckily the guy did do all of the work himself and he was able to get everything working and did use it for some autocross here and there. He said he would sell it as a kit (when he decides to part it from his BRZ), so the R&D aspect would be sorted out besides a tune.

And don’t worry, there are barely any pictures of it right now, so I’d post plenty of photos (if it is crinkle coated red it’d make the engine bay beautiful)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMA KiCKz View Post
LOL sorry just wanted to help since I saw that one a few years ago. I'm also a sucker for OEM+ parts. If I were to boost my car, I would have opted for the same one. I didn't want to spend $5,000+ on a SC that not many know how to install/parts to go along with it. I felt that it would take too much R&D for it to function, especially since my frs is currently my daily. If you do obtain the TRD SC, please post as many pics/info for all of us to see. I'm sure there are many others who are as interested.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bergycheese348 For This Useful Post:
KMA KiCKz (10-26-2022)
Old 09-26-2023, 01:50 PM   #12
Bergycheese348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztec View Post
Unlike others here, pursue your passion and build this out.
That said, as others have mentioned the key problem is your fixation on the TRD unit.
If you were willing to use a different kit, such as the Edelbrock kit, which most if not all issues have been identified.
Also, CSG Zach is extremely competent with the tuning of that platform, could be a similar 350whp access level.

-Aztec
Kit acquired

T RD, Verus, Ace
The Following User Says Thank You to Bergycheese348 For This Useful Post:
Aztec (01-12-2024)