follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-20-2020, 12:33 PM   #1
Jaden
Road-hole

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I think I figured out p0351 repeatedly coming up.

So, I've built myself a custom flex fuel system and been on it for the last couple of years but I've been on E since 2014 just a few months after I bought the car.

Don't ask me why but I had switched to 5w20 oil after I started using E.

I had gotten a p0351 code for the first time not long after and like many people who have gotten it, I replaced my coil.

a few months later it came back and I replaced it again.

After that it would periodically come back and instead of replacing it, I would just reset it and it would be fine.

It got to where almost any time I would greatly accelerate at full throttle, it would trip, I would reset it and it would be fine until I accelerated again. It had to be WOT and it had to be for more than a few seconds.

I got pretty good at resetting it using a blue tooth obd2 module and a phone app.

fast forward to recently. I decided this last time I changed oil a week or so ago that I would switch back to 0w20.

Ever since, not a single p0351 code no matter how I drive it or what I do.

So, those of you who have gotten the dreaded p0351 code feel free to chime in as to whether or not you've been on 0w20 or a different oil.

Jaden

Last edited by Jaden; 06-21-2020 at 10:17 PM.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaden For This Useful Post:
humfrz (06-21-2020)
Old 06-21-2020, 12:36 AM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
So, I've built myself a custom flex fuel system and been on it for the last couple of years but I've been on E since 2014 just a few months after I bought the car.

Don't ask me why but I had switched to 5w20 oil after I started using E.

I had gotten a p0351 code for the first time not long after and like many people who have gotten it, I replaced my coil.

a few months later it came back and I replaced it again.

After that it would periodically come back and instead of replacing it, I would just reset it and it would be fine.

It got to where almost any time I would greatly accelerate at full throttle, it would trip, I would reset it and it would be fine until I accelerated again.

I got pretty good at resetting it using a blue tooth obd2 module and a phone app.

fast forward to recently. I decided this last time I changed oil a week or so ago that I would switch back to 0w20.

Ever since, not a single p0351 code no matter how I drive it or what I do.

So, those of you who have gotten the dreaded p0351 code feel free to chime in as to whether or not you've been on 0w20 or a different oil.

Jaden
For a non tracked car, I don't see how the change of oil weight would effect the engine giving you a p0351 code.

I suggest you look elsewhere for the reason for the code.
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Jaden (06-21-2020)
Old 06-21-2020, 10:15 PM   #3
Jaden
Road-hole

Thanks??

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
For a non tracked car, I don't see how the change of oil weight would effect the engine giving you a p0351 code.

I suggest you look elsewhere for the reason for the code.

I mean, yeah, I couldn't see how it could cause anything either, but you can't argue with the results. Literally nothing else has changed. I was able to get it to code easily before.

I can no longer get it to cel no matter what I do. The big test would be switching back to 5w and seeing if it happens again. But thankfully, that isn't likely to happen before I start my swap.

So we'll never know. On the other hand, not a single person has posted that they had the problem using 0w20, so until they do, it may have something to do with running hotter or something that causes it to trigger. who knows, stranger things have happened.

Jaden

p.s. This isn't a fly by night thing, it has literally coded 60-100 times over the last two to three years and I could easily get the code to pop up on purpose and now I can't (which of course is awesome).

I worked in IT for twenty years and I've seen computers not work due to PLASTIC laptop cases, where everything but an ALL plastic laptop case was replaced and only after replacing the case would the computer work.

Hell, it could be something like the resonant frequency of the engine changes causing a design flaw in the coil to show a signal it doesn't even really have. '

Also, I drive on the street like I'm on the track..lol

Last edited by Jaden; 06-21-2020 at 10:29 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaden For This Useful Post:
humfrz (06-21-2020)
Old 06-21-2020, 11:06 PM   #4
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
I mean, yeah, I couldn't see how it could cause anything either, but you can't argue with the results. Literally nothing else has changed. I was able to get it to code easily before.

I can no longer get it to cel no matter what I do. The big test would be switching back to 5w and seeing if it happens again. But thankfully, that isn't likely to happen before I start my swap.

So we'll never know. On the other hand, not a single person has posted that they had the problem using 0w20, so until they do, it may have something to do with running hotter or something that causes it to trigger. who knows, stranger things have happened.

Jaden

p.s. This isn't a fly by night thing, it has literally coded 60-100 times over the last two to three years and I could easily get the code to pop up on purpose and now I can't (which of course is awesome).

I worked in IT for twenty years and I've seen computers not work due to PLASTIC laptop cases, where everything but an ALL plastic laptop case was replaced and only after replacing the case would the computer work.

Hell, it could be something like the resonant frequency of the engine changes causing a design flaw in the coil to show a signal it doesn't even really have. '

Well, I have found over the years that sometimes things happen, or quit happening, that just make no sense. Short story time.

A case in point, we have a 2007 Saturn Aura which is our OC. For the past year, I drive it almost every day to haul granddaughters to school and back and never a CEL. About once a month mrs humfrz drives the Saturn to get her hair done and every time she drives it, she leaves it with a CEL (P-0300).

I read and erase the CEL and it doesn't return till she drives it again. The last time it did its CEL trick, I read it but didn't erase it, because I was going to take it into the local shop and have them try to figure out what was causing it. But before I could get it into the shop, the CEL went away, until she drove it again. Because of the COVID-19 lockdown, she hasn't driven it for several months and NO CELs.

So, what is the why for of that?

* something that they put in her hair causes the engine to throw a P-0300?

* she is hot rodding the car while driving across town?

* why/how sometimes does it just "fix itself"?

* has COVID-19 in the air "fixed it"?

If it is still bothering you I hope you get your gremlin figured out.

As for our Saturn's gremlin, I've just quit paying it no never mind.
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Jaden (06-22-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 07:08 PM   #5
redlined600

Drives: Fr-s
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

The singular of data is not anecdote.

My first Coil popped while using 0w-20. I would wager many(most) are, they just don't post about it.

Imo, the largest contributor is aftermarket header and overpipe.

Quote:
The difference between track and street driving is night and day. There is even a difference between novice and advanced drivers.
Old 06-25-2020, 11:14 PM   #6
Jaden
Road-hole

holy shit dude...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlined600 View Post

My first Coil popped while using 0w-20. I would wager many(most) are, they just don't post about it.

The difference between track and street driving is night and day. There is even a difference between novice and advanced drivers.
holy shit dude, that was a joke for Christ's sake, hence the lol...and yeah, I still have an aftermarket header and it was popping with the stock one as well.

Jaden
Old 06-26-2020, 01:54 AM   #7
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlined600 View Post

This. I notice I get the code a lot less often using the stock header and overpipe with OEM heat shielding.

My aftermarket header was ceramic coated.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote