follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 07-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #1
track_warrior
Track Junkie

Drives: Faster than the Stig!
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation AP Racing brake systems in development

Super exited just got word that Essex Parts is developing two different kinds of AP brake systems for our cars!! The lightest one is 3 pounds lighter per corner so lighter even than the STI brembos!! Cant wait to get these on my car!!! For those of you who know AP you know they make serious braking products for race cars i ran their J hook rotors on my GT-R and they were by far the most long lasting and cooling efficient rotors for that car, lotus drivers praise them because they are proven around a race track IMO the best bang for the buck.

Here are the links to pictures and the weight specs:
http://www.essexpartsblog.com/news/E...em-Development

http://www.essexpartsblog.com/news/S...System-BRZ-FRS

Last edited by track_warrior; 07-24-2012 at 02:18 PM.
track_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to track_warrior For This Useful Post:
blags (07-25-2012), Bristecom (08-10-2012), coyote (07-25-2012), CSG David (12-12-2012), cyde01 (07-24-2012), Fly Guy (12-04-2012), GT86_PRAGUE (06-07-2015), ICantAffordAnLFA (07-25-2012), illmatic (07-24-2012), jstans84 (04-07-2013), mines13 (07-24-2012), normancw (10-25-2012), punchdrunkjuice (08-03-2012), R2RO (10-30-2012), RazBRZ (09-16-2012), RRnold (07-24-2012), schtebie (07-24-2012), Surok (10-09-2012)
Old 07-24-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
mines13

Drives: '13 FR-S '12 CBR1000RR
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mines13 Send a message via Yahoo to mines13
Interesting, I was actually looking at the Stillen 4pot AP package. I assume no dust seals on these since they are a full racing caliper?
mines13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
AP's are the shit!
Old 07-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #4
UncleFester

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Nice post. Looks like an excellent product.

Here is a copy and paste from their website that answered most of my questions;

Quote:
With a target retail price of approximately $2,195, it's going to be very tough finding another modification to the car that will offer more benefits per dollar.

Approximately 8 lbs. unsprung weight reduction from both front corners of the car.

Incredible array of inexpensive brake pad options.

These pads are far larger/thicker than stock, and will last a very long time on the FT86. You'll replace your pads a lot less often, saving money in the long-term
Mitigation of pad knockback due to 4lb. anti-knockback springs in the calipers.

Caliper finish that is highly resistant to wear and deterioration under high heat track conditions
Stainless steel caliper hardware for a long caliper service life under frequent pad change conditions
High temperature, low drag seals that will hold up to track temps better than OEM components= less rebuilding and longer service life

No dust boots to burn up and make a big mess
Simple pad change with one bolt and no spring clips (no tapping out the pins as you would on an STI Brembo.)

Extremely compact package for superior wheel fitment.

Stainless steel pistons that keep heat out of your brake fluid to resist fluid fade during extended track sessions.

Lifetime professional caliper rebuilding support by Essex (at a fee)- pull off your calipers, send them to us, we clean, inspect, and rebuild and return them.

High airflow, heavy duty AP Racing J Hook brake discs that weigh 5 lbs. less than the OEM units despite their larger size, available at an extremely competitive replacement price ($158 each).

AP Racing J Hook slot design that gives more pad bite/feel, and distributes heat evenly throughout the disc.

Disc metallurgy specifically designed to handle the temps typically seen on track offers a long service life
Highest quality, Spiegler stainless steel brake line with clear sheath that reduces compliance over OEM rubber design.

Much more attractive appearance vs. OEM FT86 brakes

Saves your OEM components in good condition, so you can reinstall them when you sell your car.

Because of their quality and trusted brand name, AP Racing brake systems hold their value well in the used market, and you will get a considerable amount of money back out of them when you decide to part and sell your car.
UncleFester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to UncleFester For This Useful Post:
Black Tire (07-31-2012), normancw (10-25-2012), punchdrunkjuice (09-03-2012)
Old 07-24-2012, 02:10 PM   #5
jamal

Drives: Legacy GT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Sweet. This kit has been out for the WRX/STI for awhile now and was one of the first things I thought of for a brake upgrade for this car. No need for a big heavy kit with gigantic rotors.
jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:14 PM   #6
Tainen

Drives: First SWP BRZ-L
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Wow... these look great. Very well priced imo, and the rotors only being $158 and being lighter weight? very cool.

The question is really, do we actually need to upgrade the sizing of the brakes for the general HPDE attendee? The car is so light, the stock brakes might hold up well enough with good pads, fluid and lines.

Lighter rotating mass though... that's really tempting.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #7
track_warrior
Track Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal View Post
"In development" is kind of funny because it's a kit that already exists for the WRX/STi. I don't think they'll have to change much for the BRZ. Not that I'm saying it isn't a good kit; it was one of the first things I thought of for a brake upgrade for this car because it's not a big heavy kit with gigantic rotors and should be perfect for these cars.
They are test fitting several wheels and stuff this kit cleared my enkei rpf1's in 17x8 +45 ill confirm later today that it clears work emotion kiwamis in 18x8.5 +47

BTW is anybody as exited as me for this KIT!! Lightweight + Stopping Power FTW!!!

Here is a pic of the template on the enkeis:
travace (09-21-2012)
Old 07-24-2012, 03:09 PM   #8
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainen View Post
Wow... these look great. Very well priced imo, and the rotors only being $158 and being lighter weight? very cool.

The question is really, do we actually need to upgrade the sizing of the brakes for the general HPDE attendee? The car is so light, the stock brakes might hold up well enough with good pads, fluid and lines.

Stock with good pads and fluid will good for many, but this will definitely help for those that go to stickier tires and track their car a lot.

- drew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
UncleFester (07-24-2012)
Old 07-24-2012, 03:19 PM   #9
track_warrior
Track Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainen View Post

I believe the benefits of the weight saving + the stopping power and cooling effectiveness should be enough to help you encourage your decision. The car is light the stock brakes are good, ap brakes are just better remember the rotors are 2 piece so it helps cool them as well. I agree with racecomp on the sticky tires part no point in getting very sticky tires if your brakes are not up to the task.

Last edited by track_warrior; 07-24-2012 at 05:03 PM.
track_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:03 PM   #10
UncleFester

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
Stock with good pads and fluid will good for many, but this will definitely help for those that go to stickier tires and track their car a lot.

- drew
Well said
UncleFester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:57 PM   #11
Apex Chase
El Presidente

Drives: it like I stole it!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Outstanding. The gains from a lighter brake package with improved performance is amazing.
Apex Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #12
JRitt

Drives: 2012 BRZ Premium WRB 6MT
Thanked 1,411 Times in 376 Posts
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Hi Guys,
Let me know if anyone has any specific questions on these two systems. I tried to answer as many tech questions in my blog post as possible, but I'm sure I missed something! We will have prototype parts in-house within the next few days. We'll be test fitting, and then track testing them in our project car. I'll update this thread and our blog with developments as they occur. If all goes as planned, the Endurance package is also going to have a provision for a brake duct built right into the caliper bracket, which I've never seen done before...should be pretty slick.

Target pricing on these will be in the $2,195 range for the Sprint package, and $2,495 for the Endurance package. It's tough to give a final price right now because we won't know exactly what will be in each kit until all of the prototyping and testing is done.

Quote:
Interesting, I was actually looking at the Stillen 4pot AP package. I assume no dust seals on these since they are a full racing caliper?
We are also working with AP Racing to spec out a few other kits, from their Formula line of products. These will use painted calipers with dust boots, etc., and will contain a few enhancements that Essex has specifically requested. We're going to have a four piston front kit that will fit the OEM 17" wheels, a six piston front, and four piston rear. These will all be fully built in England at AP's facility, and they are using some cool new caliper designs. I'll post more pics and info on these setups as we move forward. These setups will be a little more expensive than the competition systems.

Quote:
Sweet. This kit has been out for the WRX/STI for awhile now and was one of the first things I thought of for a brake upgrade for this car. No need for a big heavy kit with gigantic rotors.
Our Endurance kit is essentially the same as what we're doing on the STI, EVO, Corvette, M3, etc. We decided that a lighter version would be more appropriate for many of our customers running this platform. The disc we're using (CP3862) is the same as what we're using in our recently released S2000 kit. It saves a ton of weight over stock, has a ton of benefits, and is insanely cheap for a top quality racing disc.

Last edited by JRitt; 07-26-2012 at 07:45 AM.
JRitt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JRitt For This Useful Post:
illmatic (07-24-2012)
Old 07-24-2012, 05:31 PM   #13
post_break
Professional Smartass

Drives: White Out FRS
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Garage
Here's my question, do these clear the stock wheels?
post_break is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:34 PM   #14
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRitt View Post
We are also working with AP Racing to spec out a few other kits, from their Formula line of products. These will use painted calipers with dust boots, etc., and will contain a few enhancements that Essex has specifically requested.
Never picked up your WRX/STI kit because it didn't have dust seals. I know dust seals suck, but for a road car I consider them a necessity.

Now tell us about that prototype exhaust system you're allegedly working on.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote