follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 03-26-2016, 06:23 PM   #1
BurnetRhoades

Drives: 2013 "Hot Lava"
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Maintaining Octane While Travelling

Just before receiving my OFT and headers I had to take a little road trip North for a weekend. I've got plenty of access to high quality 93 Octane in the Hill Country of Central Texas but the further NW I got, the closer I got to the New Mexico border, the best I could find was 91.

Near the border between Texas and NM it was even worse, with only 90 octane anywhere, no Shell stations at all, which is all I use in Austin, and mostly brands I neither recognized or trusted. How ironic, in the middle of oil country and Hobbs, NM being an oil town that actually stinks from the stuff, like the earth is perpetually farting, and it's the worst quality gas I've ever experienced, and I lived in California for almost twenty years.

Since I'm libel to be making at least a few trips each year up here I'm wondering if I should buy a few bottles of octane boost to bring with me next time. Are there any favored products or experience with these on this platform and with tuned cars?
2013 Hot Lava FRS :: OFT Stage 2+ :: JDL UEL Catless :: JDL Over-Frontpipe :: GReddy Evolution RS Catback :: Enkei "Tarmac Black" RPF1 :: Tein Flex-Z Coilovers :: 245/35r18 Conti DW :: RS*R R-LCA :: Racer-X Fab R-Toe Arms :: Mishimoto Intake Tube :: Mishimoto Oil Catch Can :: JDL FSTB :: Raceseng "Slammer" + RLO :: Diode Dynamics HID + Tail-as-Turn + DRL :: 5:AD Spoiler ::
BurnetRhoades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 06:48 PM   #2
elBarto

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Flash the 91 tune and don't go racing with it. The ECU will sort it out for you and pull timing if needed. Just drive calm and log it with your OFT.

send from the coffeemaker
Old 03-27-2016, 04:25 PM   #3
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I have never used octane booster, but looked into it and it seems somewhat imprecise. None of the products out there say how much octane they'll add to, say, 10 gallons. That said if you can figure out how to use it correctly, octane booster is a totally legitimate method.

If you have the trunk space, you could take jugs of 100 octane with you and just add the correct amount each fill up to get you to 93.

The difference between the 91 and 93 tunes isn't huge and probably isn't worth flashing over.
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:09 PM   #4
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,086 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Given that E85 is almost at normal petrol cost and of octane up to 110, but 100 octane "race petrol" costing three times as much as normal and available at only one tank, if E85 is available, i see no reasons not to use that instead. Heck, several local rally teams switched to E85 due difference in costs. Imho to OP @US E85 should be even more available then on EU side of pond.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote