follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-01-2020, 01:56 PM   #15
juanlien

Drives: M5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
never experienced it but Looks like this is very interesting
juanlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 05:03 PM   #16
Kinda bored tbh

Drives: 2016 brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Well yea straight cut gears are stronger if made properly but my trans builder had build hundreds of built trans and said that the pars gearset didn’t impress him at all and that Ppg from what he noticed makes really well stuff and he would prefer them over pars so I took his info and went with that he said I also don’t want a loud whine all the time while driving my set will likely still have a whine just not as crazy which I’m completely fine with.
Kinda bored tbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 01:19 AM   #17
Kinda bored tbh

Little update gearset was almost done and I got a call output shaft I believe it was or 6th gear was machined incorrectly and the gear is stuck on there currently working to correct the issue they have been really helpful and are trying to fix the issue should have parts being shipped out by Monday I was just told if all goes well.
Old 05-10-2020, 02:24 AM   #18
Evil Rocky

Drives: FRS
Looking forward to hear back and your review after installed.
Evil Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 03:23 PM   #19
Kinda bored tbh

Sure Will make a update parts got delivered today and I’ll pick up the trans Friday most likely.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:56 PM   #20
Kinda bored tbh

So just a update trans is now in and everything it has about almost 700 miles on it it drives great the gear whine is very noticeable but not as obnoxious as a straight cut gearset and I personally like that I’ll have some videos posted tomorrow of when I have the change because I recorded some with my
Phone but I’m not the best at recording so I’ll use the go pro
The Following User Says Thank You to Kinda bored tbh For This Useful Post:
Evil Rocky (06-21-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 12:35 AM   #21
Evil Rocky

Drives: FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinda bored tbh View Post
So just a update trans is now in and everything it has about almost 700 miles on it it drives great the gear whine is very noticeable but not as obnoxious as a straight cut gearset and I personally like that I’ll have some videos posted tomorrow of when I have the change because I recorded some with my
Phone but I’m not the best at recording so I’ll use the go pro
How much power you running with this transmission?

Looking forward to info and video.
Evil Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 04:19 AM   #22
olsonpg

Drives: BRZ. R34 GT-T
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
While we are talking about ppg and pars, is there anyone here with feedback on the pars set?

https://www.par-engineering.com/prod...ion-fr-s-copy/
I have PAR 1-6 assembled by Jacks. Carbon synchros and the Verus clutch fork. Great little trans nothing bad to say except PAR took literally forever to get it machined and sent out.

No problems so far on around 320 wtq! Over a year now and I drive like an asshole. I shredded 4th gear the first week I got my car back with the turbo/built engine if that tells you how hard I am on my car.

Aside from what everyone says the gear whine isn't bad at all. Wish it was louder personally.

Cheers
Kinda bored tbh (05-19-2020), Lonewolf (06-22-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 06:44 AM   #23
Kinda bored tbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by olsonpg View Post
I have PAR 1-6 assembled by Jacks. Carbon synchros and the Verus clutch fork. Great little trans nothing bad to say except PAR took literally forever to get it machined and sent out.

No problems so far on around 320 wtq! Over a year now and I drive like an asshole. I shredded 4th gear the first week I got my car back with the turbo/built engine if that tells you how hard I am on my car.

Aside from what everyone says the gear whine isn't bad at all. Wish it was louder personally.

Cheers
Yea Ppg was honestly quick they shipped it out the day after I payed for it and came in 3 days then one part came wrong after the weekend they expressed shipped it threw fed ex and had it here in two days I also have the clutch for and carbon bushing but quick thing are you on the stock trans mount?
Old 05-19-2020, 07:14 PM   #24
olsonpg

Quote:
Yea Ppg was honestly quick they shipped it out the day after I payed for it and came in 3 days then one part came wrong after the weekend they expressed shipped it threw fed ex and had it here in two days I also have the clutch for and carbon bushing but quick thing are you on the stock trans mount?
Good news. PAR took about 2-3 months to machine the bugger and get it sent out. Wouldn't return emails or phone calls. Honestly thought I had been scammed for a minute there.

Yeah still on stock tarns mounts besides installing this whiteline insert a long time ago. I guess I don't know much about if I need different trans mounts? What do you know?

I went against my shops wishes when I went with this trans set up. They recommended the mazworks. Their reasoning was that with this much torque running through the stock trans housing that it had been known to flex under hard loads and destroy itself.

I personally don't know anyone or have heard of that happening from anyone other than from my shop.

Cheers
Old 05-23-2020, 08:39 AM   #25
Kinda bored tbh

[QUOTE=olsonpg;3332855]Good news. PAR took about 2-3 months to machine the bugger and get it sent out. Wouldn't return emails or phone calls. Honestly thought I had been scammed for a minute there.

Yeah still on stock tarns mounts besides installing this whiteline insert a long time ago. I guess I don't know much about if I need different trans mounts? What do you know?

I went against my shops wishes when I went with this trans set up. They recommended the mazworks. Their reasoning was that with this much torque running through the stock trans housing that it had been known to flex under hard loads and destroy itself.

I personally don't know anyone or have heard of that happening from anyone other than from my shop.

Cheers[/QUOTE

I run a Klein mount I really like it and I’ve never heard about the flex issue and I also thought about mazworx but they where 2-3 month back order and that was before thing corona stuff so can’t imagine now and if I swapped trans I should just swap engines but I love my trans and fa20.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:41 AM   #26
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,093 Times in 2,044 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:

I run a Klein mount I really like it and I’ve never heard about the flex issue and I also thought about mazworx but they where 2-3 month back order and that was before thing corona stuff so can’t imagine now and if I swapped trans I should just swap engines but I love my trans and fa20.
Where are the video(s) at?!
Glad to hear it's running well. I couldn't imagine paying so much and getting anything less though. I'd be on them so hard if there was an issue
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 10:33 AM   #27
olsonpg

[QUOTE=Kinda bored tbh;3333996]
Quote:
Originally Posted by olsonpg View Post
Good news. PAR took about 2-3 months to machine the bugger and get it sent out. Wouldn't return emails or phone calls. Honestly thought I had been scammed for a minute there.

Cheers[/QUOTE

Thats how I feel too! Glad you like it! Does it whine at all?
Old 05-23-2020, 02:54 PM   #28
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,802 Times in 3,297 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
Excited to see how well the gearset works for you! Any reason you're avoiding the CD009 swap? Fitment obviously is one good reason
Fitment?