follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 05-11-2022, 02:08 PM   #1
kimcheetos

Drives: 2022 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Can't Interact with Map in Apple CarPlay?

long time lurker. Anyway, I just purchased an iPhone, and it doesn't seem like I can interact with any of my map applications in Carplay (pinch, drag map, etc.). Has anyone else noticed this? These touch interactions all worked on Android Auto (and other Apple Carplay apps, for that matter)

thanks
kimcheetos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 03:11 PM   #2
Trollhart

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Sport
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
This is normal for Carplay, in my experience at least.
There are some arrows on the right sicw of the screen that allow some movement, but that‘s limited as well.
Trollhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 11:47 AM   #3
kimcheetos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollhart View Post
This is normal for Carplay, in my experience at least.
There are some arrows on the right sicw of the screen that allow some movement, but that‘s limited as well.
Well, that's a major bummer :/. Seems like a huge oversight. Thanks!
Old 05-21-2022, 02:17 PM   #4
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimcheetos View Post
Well, that's a major bummer :/. Seems like a huge oversight. Thanks!
I can move the map around on mine.
I have the GR though, not a BRZ. I wouldn’t imagine it would make a difference though.
Old 05-27-2022, 09:30 AM   #5
ozafar

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS Release Series 1.0
Essentially, Carplay engineers wanted all the inputs to be selectable without using the touch screen, i.e. using the tune scroll knob and steering wheel controls for some vehicles.

As for the latest update, I'm not sure, maybe they changed that.
ozafar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 06:47 AM   #6
jimmyjazz86

Drives: 22’ Red GR86 MT Premium
I'm not sure its a multitouch display, so commands like that are probably unable to be recognized by the surface. You can move drag and zoom, but you have to use the indicator for it on the bottom left, at least on Google maps.
jimmyjazz86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 01:01 PM   #7
diga

Drives: 2022 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Yes I noticed this right away with Apple CarPlay on my 2022 BRZ, I think I remember seeing a review video somewhere where the person was interacting with the map using swipe/pinch but it was Android auto I believe. Can anyone confirm? I only have iPhone.
Old 06-09-2022, 02:05 PM   #8
kimcheetos

Quote:
Originally Posted by diga View Post
Yes I noticed this right away with Apple CarPlay on my 2022 BRZ, I think I remember seeing a review video somewhere where the person was interacting with the map using swipe/pinch but it was Android auto I believe. Can anyone confirm? I only have iPhone.
Yeah, when I was using an Android phone, all the gestures worked fine. Seems like specifically an Apple Carplay limitation
Old 06-09-2022, 06:21 PM   #9
Haust
Driver

The 2023 CarPlay update looks amazing. I don't think Subaru or Toyota are getting the full integration, but I would imagine the base will be updated.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022...date-features/

"Announced today, the latest generation of Apple CarPlay will deeply integrate with vehicle hardware in unprecedented ways, now with adaptive software and menus that can function behind multiple screens in the vehicle interior, not just the main dashboard interface, like before. Apple claims the new integration will allow users to override traditional vehicle information, including driver display elements like speed, fuel level, temperature, and other instrument cluster details in a new personalized display that taps into the vehicle's data systems for accurate readouts. Apple says this better-integrated CarPlay will offer a "unified and consistent" user experience."
Haust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 05:15 PM   #10
Flarpswitch

Drives: 2022 BRZ Ltd, 2019 Ascent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haust View Post
The 2023 CarPlay update looks amazing. I don't think Subaru or Toyota are getting the full integration, but I would imagine the base will be updated.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022...date-features/

"Announced today, the latest generation of Apple CarPlay will deeply integrate with vehicle hardware in unprecedented ways, now with adaptive software and menus that can function behind multiple screens in the vehicle interior, not just the main dashboard interface, like before. Apple claims the new integration will allow users to override traditional vehicle information, including driver display elements like speed, fuel level, temperature, and other instrument cluster details in a new personalized display that taps into the vehicle's data systems for accurate readouts. Apple says this better-integrated CarPlay will offer a "unified and consistent" user experience."
I'm not so sure that the car in the next lane hosting a webinar on Zoom with the participants splayed across the dash would be a step forward. Didn't Malcolm in Jurassic Park say something to the effect, "You were so busy trying to figure out if you could do something that you never considered if you should."?