follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 04-30-2019, 09:40 PM   #1
juniorrr

Drives: Scion Frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Coilovers install Issue. Help

Hey guys so I installed my Tein Flex Z Coilovers and i noticed that after I set the coils on the both side equally when I put the car down the heights were different on both sides and someone explained to me this is because I didn’t put any load on the control arms when installed them(which I honestly didn’t know had to be done) can anyone help me out on how to fix this step by step and does this have to be done to all four sides? Thanks Ahead of time!
juniorrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:46 PM   #2
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorrr View Post
Hey guys so I installed my Tein Flex Z Coilovers and i noticed that after I set the coils on the both side equally when I put the car down the heights were different on both sides and someone explained to me this is because I didn’t put any load on the control arms when installed them(which I honestly didn’t know had to be done) can anyone help me out on how to fix this step by step and does this have to be done to all four sides? Thanks Ahead of time!
If you removed the rear lower control arm to get the stock struts out they should be retightened under weight. Any bushing that does not spin freely should be tightened at ride height.

Shouldn’t have done anything with the control arms in the front.

Rear lower coilover mount will spin freely.

Assuming you took the inner bolts out of the rear LCA, you should loosen it just a little and retorque it with the wheels on the ground or ramps.

The height difference would be very small. Something else is probably going on.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:53 PM   #3
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Be sure you mean height, and not camber of the wheels. Don't measure by the way the tires look sitting on the ground as you stand in front of the car pivoting left and right to compare.

Send us some pictures of what you're seeing so we can evaluate probable root cause better
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:03 PM   #4
juniorrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
If you removed the rear lower control arm to get the stock struts out they should be retightened under weight. Any bushing that does not spin freely should be tightened at ride height.

Shouldn’t have done anything with the control arms in the front.

Rear lower coilover mount will spin freely.

Assuming you took the inner bolts out of the rear LCA, you should loosen it just a little and retorque it with the wheels on the ground or ramps.

The height difference would be very small. Something else is probably going on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
Be sure you mean height, and not camber of the wheels. Don't measure by the way the tires look sitting on the ground as you stand in front of the car pivoting left and right to compare.

Send us some pictures of what you're seeing so we can evaluate probable root cause better
So i just checked the fronts and they are good it’s the rears where the issue is. So i’ve Never uploaded a picture on here So I’m not sure how to do it with a URL. But I unbolted 3 bolts one where the control arm is being held at the very end of it. 2nd bolt where the rear end link is at and 3rd bolt where the strut is. Will any of these 3 points affect my issue? Also so ima just intightenes the bolts set the car down and then retorque them with the weight on this time. Anything else I should know or do while I do this process? I might try with a jack on the control arm is that fine?
Old 05-01-2019, 12:17 AM   #5
jamal

Drives: Legacy GT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
No, that is not the problem.

Firstly, those have a threaded lower mount. Are all those in the same spot plus is the spring preload equal?

Secondly, even with preload and height set equal on both sides they won't sit at exactly the same heights because the corner weights are not equal.

It takes extra work and care to set up coilovers, especially when there is independent height and preload adjustment. You have to make sure they are in the right range of travel for your height, ie not sitting on the bumpstops or allowing the tires/axles to hit stuff. And ideally they should be corner balanced.
jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jamal For This Useful Post:
maslin (05-01-2019), Racecomp Engineering (05-01-2019), wparsons (05-02-2019), x808drifter (05-01-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 12:16 PM   #6
juniorrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal View Post
No, that is not the problem.

Firstly, those have a threaded lower mount. Are all those in the same spot plus is the spring preload equal?

Secondly, even with preload and height set equal on both sides they won't sit at exactly the same heights because the corner weights are not equal.

It takes extra work and care to set up coilovers, especially when there is independent height and preload adjustment. You have to make sure they are in the right range of travel for your height, ie not sitting on the bumpstops or allowing the tires/axles to hit stuff. And ideally they should be corner balanced.
I talked to Tein yesterday and they told me that was the issue that the control arms weren’t torqued down with load and so what I did yesterday was take off the wheel loosened the bolts to snug on the LCE and then lifted the arm with the weight of the car on it this time and then torqued it completely down. Made sure both coils were same height and it actually fixed everything the heights were just about even.