follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List
timurrrr

Old 08-01-2022, 01:59 PM   #239
Blighty

Drives: WR Blue Pearl 2022 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
A dealer is not going to do that, point blank.

Now, you could probably find an indy shop to do it. Just know any powertrain claim is going to be immediately denied once they see you've done something like that.

As I said earlier in this thread, so far we are talking about less than 10 known incidents in thousands of cars sold.
Hmm. Are problems caused by blocking the strainer somewhat, or just indeed the shear amount of grey material potentially finding its way around the engine not also a factor if your are putting the car through its paces on a mountain road for 5 mins? These car are low power and therefore you can use a lot of high RPM in a number of gears without breaking the speed limit. You know the kind of things we love about these cars.

And do all the potential issues related to the large amounts of sealant deposits necessarily mean that the cars are not still coping minor damage to various things, or suffering from minor aeration and so forth? I know oil starvation itself takes very very little time to do major damage, but its possible that minor starvation events are occurring still right?

Just the shear lack of inspection by Toyota is alarming, and honestly is setting off alarm bells about this issue - its a very new car that they in theory you would want to investigate deeply so as head off potential recalls early on and have fixes for. It makes you wonder if they absolutely know about it, and absolutely don't want to officially have to inspect it.
Blighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 02:52 PM   #240
gcmak

Drives: GR86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blighty View Post
Just the shear lack of inspection by Toyota is alarming, and honestly is setting off alarm bells about this issue - its a very new car that they in theory you would want to investigate deeply so as head off potential recalls early on and have fixes for. It makes you wonder if they absolutely know about it, and absolutely don't want to officially have to inspect it.
Toyota's was eager to investigate issues with the GR Supra during my year of ownership and following the problems with that car - including excessive oil consumption. The motor in the Supra was modified from MY2020 to MY2021+ and in the 2021 cars, a few of them exhibited oil consumption out of spec according to both Toyota and BMW - which often led to flying some expert out to dealers to inspect motors, perform tests, etc. Outcomes of whether or not people got their engines rebuilt or replaced were mixed but the key is Toyota was very interested in studying the problem.

Related to the original post in this thread which showed a dipstick with crud on it...my brain just made the connection that my dipstick had stubborn bits stuck to it around ~2,500 miles. They were not present on my dipstick early on (I have photos because my car was delivered lower on oil), but I stupidly didn't think more of it and vigorously rubbed it off without documenting it. However, I did a crappy job of cleaning (or there's new build-up) because I pulled my dipstick today and see there's still (gray) stuff on it near the edge around the low oil marker. Sorry the phone photo doesn't look great.

Someone else I know with a new GR86 shared with me that his dipstick has similar crud on it and he's still in his break-in period of <1,000 miles. Not sure what to make of it yet, but the dipstick should not have this foreign material on it.
gcmak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gcmak For This Useful Post:
Blighty (08-02-2022)
Old 08-01-2022, 03:14 PM   #241
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petah78 View Post
I mean asking the dealer to install a supplied after market baffle plate as the thread suggested. No guarantees they are willing but it's worth a shot for those seriously concerned and want to drop their pan.
Read the warranty. Modifications beyond stock and the use of non approved parts is a guaranteed warranty denial no matter who installed them.
Old 08-01-2022, 03:19 PM   #242
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanGreener View Post
We'll agree to disagree because if you ever pay attention to the amount of TSBs/recalls for earlier builds you'll notice a trend. Also I'd take the word of people I know in manufacturing to reaffirm what I already notice looking at the outside. If they opt to keep things the same during the mid-cycle refresh, things usually stay resolved. Best recent example: RAV4 and roof leaks, high voltage cable corrosion, and 8 speed transmission issues. All designs changed/modified verified by part #'s and visuals.

Anyways, definitely not saying this is acceptable but it's what I expect. Hoping we can get this all resolved.
I have been management in Tier One parts manufacturing for over 30 years. My statement was not based on the internet or some random YouTuber.
If they opt to keep things the same then it is not refreshed and yes the risk is lower.

Failure can happen anyplace in the lifecylce.
The valve spring recall from the 2013s had nothing to do with first run issue (there were 400,000 other cars involved) and neither does this sealant issue really. Remember they have been making near identical 2.4s for over four years now. If it had been an injector issue it could be attributed to new processes but it is exactly the same bottom end in the Ascent engines.
Old 08-01-2022, 03:26 PM   #243
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,228 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blighty View Post
What do you mean by shear lack of inspection? It looks like the cars being taken back to the dealers are being inspected. If you're talking about on the line. It's just not feasible, to pull the pan, remove the ATV, reapply by hand, and put back into the line. Because even if there isn't excess, it will have to be taken back down to a clean surface and reapplied.

I really think some of you are blowing this WAY out of proportion.
Opie (08-02-2022)
Old 08-01-2022, 03:33 PM   #244
RyanGreener

Drives: 2023 BRZ Allocation
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I have been management in Tier One parts manufacturing for over 30 years. My statement was not based on the internet or some random YouTuber.
If they opt to keep things the same then it is not refreshed and yes the risk is lower.

Failure can happen anyplace in the lifecylce.
The valve spring recall from the 2013s had nothing to do with first run issue (there were 400,000 other cars involved) and neither does this sealant issue really. Remember they have been making near identical 2.4s for over four years now. If it had been an injector issue it could be attributed to new processes but it is exactly the same bottom end in the Ascent engines.

Thanks for the info.
RyanGreener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 03:47 PM   #245
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisz5z View Post
Give us a free day of racing so you can deny us a warranty...looks like a trap.
A NASA track day is not racing. Racing is a competitive event. A track day, AKA HPDE, is not a competitive event.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WolfpackS2k For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (08-02-2022), Tcoat (08-01-2022), timurrrr (08-01-2022)
Old 08-01-2022, 03:50 PM   #246
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,292 Times in 715 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Astrologers proclaim the week of checking dipstick tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcmak View Post
Related to the original post in this thread which showed a dipstick with crud on it...my brain just made the connection that my dipstick had stubborn bits stuck to it around ~2,500 miles. They were not present on my dipstick early on (I have photos because my car was delivered lower on oil), but I stupidly didn't think more of it and vigorously rubbed it off without documenting it. However, I did a crappy job of cleaning (or there's new build-up) because I pulled my dipstick today and see there's still (gray) stuff on it near the edge around the low oil marker. Sorry the phone photo doesn't look great.

Someone else I know with a new GR86 shared with me that his dipstick has similar crud on it and he's still in his break-in period of <1,000 miles. Not sure what to make of it yet, but the dipstick should not have this foreign material on it.
Old 08-01-2022, 04:17 PM   #247
Stephen W.

Drives: 1993 Caterham HPC Evo
Thanked 2,405 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Dealers are not going to start redesigning the car. If the engineers determine a baffle plate is needed a TSB will be issued. I wouldn’t hold your breath.
If you did hold his breath wouldn't that be called choking?
Stephen W. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen W. For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (08-01-2022)
Old 08-01-2022, 04:23 PM   #248
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
What do you mean by shear lack of inspection? It looks like the cars being taken back to the dealers are being inspected. If you're talking about on the line. It's just not feasible, to pull the pan, remove the ATV, reapply by hand, and put back into the line. Because even if there isn't excess, it will have to be taken back down to a clean surface and reapplied.

I really think some of you are blowing this WAY out of proportion.
Not to mention that Toyota doesn’t make the damn things to start with
OkieSnuffBox (08-01-2022)
Old 08-01-2022, 04:33 PM   #249
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,767 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRNAD90 View Post
First Gen had the Valve Spring issue, Second Gen this Sealant Issue. First Model years are scary, even for Japanese Engineered AND Built vehicles it seems..

Toyota/Subaru needs to take the potential for this being widespread seriously instead of spending time tryign to find a way not to cover repairs. Maybe publicity via coverage by a magazine or Vlogers like Everyday Driver, Savage Geese (both of which own examples) or Smoking Tire would make a difference.

Hopefully Toyota/Subaru will step up and do so, if not, it doesn't say much for the brand integrity..

(In Fact, I think I will reach out to them and put the idea out there)

*EDIT* - Hopefully they will not be afraid of losing favor for press vehicles and ignore it..
Those are 13 and early are the culprit. I have seen/heard/read more dealerships fuck up a perfectly running engine to "try to fix" something doesn't broke. I'm '13 mfg, 90k miles tuned and its running way healthy when I was stock. If doesnt broke dont fix, am I right?
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Teseo For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (08-01-2022)
Old 08-01-2022, 05:43 PM   #250
Panda Grahams

Drives: '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
This is some scary, but informative, info. I'll keep an eye on the updates, but not going to let this scare me from enjoying my car. It's from an early batch (delivered 1/22) and currently sits just over 3000 miles. Oil changed at 1000 miles with OEM oil/filter. Only mod to the drivetrain is a cat-back. Car has zero issues. Repeatedly checking the dipstick - clean as a whistle. 5-year/60k mile warranty will have my back should anything happen. Happy to provide data for those attempting to correlate. Until then, party on dudes.
Panda Grahams is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Panda Grahams For This Useful Post:
diga (08-01-2022)
Old 08-01-2022, 05:49 PM   #251
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,092 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
this is one of the reasons why I always do used oil analysis on every play car I own, because I want data to back up my claims in case I need to get warranty coverage.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 06:00 PM   #252
dragoontwo

Drives: 22 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Should I change my cars spirit animal from Darkness to Megumin?
dragoontwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dragoontwo For This Useful Post:
Jdmjunkie (08-01-2022)

Tags
oh no not again