follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 06-01-2022, 04:20 PM   #1065
funkjaw

Drives: 16' WWB
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain awesome View Post
You'll need to cut your Kpower intake or buy the proper one for an PRB head. Now you no longer have the water neck on the back of the head. The PRB outlets are located on both the intake and the exhaust side. Unfortunately the larger coolant hose needs to get all the way to the passenger side from the intake area to connect unless you have a custom radiator with an inlet on the driver side. I've done the mental gymnastics on this but it seems like it ends up just costing the same or more than a ported head since the PRB usually ends up between 800-1200 for a good core.

I think it's still possible but don't know if it's worth the effort or cost if you bought the complete kit. Maybe if you pieced your build together it could be a more economical choice?
Wow thanks a ton, that is very good info. Sounds like I won't be going this route haha.
funkjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 11:21 PM   #1066
RedReplicant

Drives: None
Thanked 1,195 Times in 509 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReplicant View Post
I used the calibration posted by ML in this thread, the numbers seemed sane to me when I was looking at it pre-start. Saw 90f on a 'cold' motor which felt in the ballpark to my garage temp. File: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QLq...ew?usp=sharing
I sure hope this calibration for oil temp isn't right. I don't have my oil cooler plumbed yet but I can't see 240-270f oil temps being right when doing a few pulls then cruise for a few minutes and repeat.
Old 06-01-2022, 11:33 PM   #1067
funkjaw

Quote:
I sure hope this calibration for oil temp isn't right. I don't have my oil cooler plumbed yet but I can't see 240-270f oil temps being right when doing a few pulls then cruise for a few minutes and repeat.
That does seem high for sure - did you get your coolant bleed all the way? What were your coolant temps at that time?
Old 06-01-2022, 11:36 PM   #1068
funkjaw

If anyone is curious - I live in an emission inspection / smog check part of Texas and my Kpower Kswap BRZ passed the inspection no problem.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to funkjaw For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (06-02-2022), Wally86 (06-03-2022)
Old 06-01-2022, 11:51 PM   #1069
Jdmjunkie

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 Series
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkjaw View Post
If anyone is curious - I live in an emission inspection / smog check part of Texas and my Kpower Kswap BRZ passed the inspection no problem.
How does smog work there? Do they plug into the obd2 plug or is it a tailpipe test?
Jdmjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 12:09 AM   #1070
funkjaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdmjunkie View Post
How does smog work there? Do they plug into the obd2 plug or is it a tailpipe test?
All they did for my BRZ is plug in the OBD2 port and check for any trouble codes. For this to work in the Haltech the OBD2 Bus Selection must be enabled (this is enabled by default in the Kpower base map, see this knowledge base page from Haltech). I don't think the testing equipment cares that the swap disables the drive cycle monitors (i.e. in California if the monitors are disabled it is an automatic fail and is one way they catch ECU swapped cars).

There was no tail pipe test, no hood pop, no catalytic converter check, etc. although I do think they test the gas cap. The test seems super basic compared to states like California. I was surprised I passed but am super happy it did. There is also a safety portion of the check which they basically just make sure your car can stop.
The Following User Says Thank You to funkjaw For This Useful Post:
Jdmjunkie (06-02-2022)
Old 06-02-2022, 08:23 PM   #1071
RedReplicant

Quote:
That does seem high for sure - did you get your coolant bleed all the way? What were your coolant temps at that time?
I spent a bit more time with the car today and figured out a few things.

1. The oil temp can have wide swings in a short period of time if you are watching it as you go from like a highway cruise to a 3rd gear pull and lift.

2. The car stays in the 180's when cruising around, if I slow down or get into traffic it slowly makes its way north of 200. I found my two 25a fan fuses popped, replaced them and they popped again on the next drive.

It appears the previous owner of my car put Spal fans into the car but didn't use a relay kit, as to why the fuses decided to start blowing after the swap I have no idea.
Old 06-02-2022, 08:57 PM   #1072
funkjaw

Quote:
I spent a bit more time with the car today and figured out a few things.

1. The oil temp can have wide swings in a short period of time if you are watching it as you go from like a highway cruise to a 3rd gear pull and lift.

2. The car stays in the 180's when cruising around, if I slow down or get into traffic it slowly makes its way north of 200. I found my two 25a fan fuses popped, replaced them and they popped again on the next drive.

It appears the previous owner of my car put Spal fans into the car but didn't use a relay kit, as to why the fuses decided to start blowing after the swap I have no idea.
So I too used the calibration file you listed for the oil temp, and yup when I floor it the temps swing super wild; definitely does not seem right what so ever and I suspect it is not accurate. Not sure what is going on... you can see the video here: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/5gZxEJi04kk
Old 06-02-2022, 09:12 PM   #1073
RedReplicant

Quote:
So I too used the calibration file you listed for the oil temp, and yup when I floor it the temps swing super wild; definitely does not seem right what so ever and I suspect it is not accurate. Not sure what is going on... you can see the video here: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/5gZxEJi04kk
Yeah, that is exactly what mine does.

Looking around, these Mazda sensors are a Bosch part. I tried a couple of the calibrations floating around onlineand they both gave me negative temperatures. It isn't clear to me, my first guess if it wasn't the calibration was some kind of wire shielding issue since it is a 2 in 1 sensor, but I hadn't gotten that far into it.
Old 06-02-2022, 09:17 PM   #1074
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Drives: 14 FRS K24 swap - SOLD
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I know ML had to send me an updated file so maybe the wrong one was posted? I haven't had any temp swings like that on mine.
captain awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to captain awesome For This Useful Post:
funkjaw (06-02-2022)
Old 06-02-2022, 09:22 PM   #1075
funkjaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain awesome View Post
I know ML had to send me an updated file so maybe the wrong one was posted? I haven't had any temp swings like that on mine.
Can you post it by chance? I can run a diff between the two and see if anything is changed.
Old 06-02-2022, 09:31 PM   #1076
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Quote:
Can you post it by chance? I can run a diff between the two and see if anything is changed.

Try this one.

CLICK ME
Old 06-02-2022, 10:39 PM   #1077
RedReplicant

Unfortunately, that is the same as the one I've been running. This is pretty weird.
Old 06-03-2022, 01:02 PM   #1078
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Definitely weird. I would confirm it's wired correctly at the sensor as well as at the Haltech plug? Seems unlikely to be the case since RedReplicant appears to be suffering from the same issue but worth checking out.