follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 05-09-2017, 12:53 PM   #15
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by venturaII View Post
This thread just jumped my shark.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 01:08 PM   #16
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
"Passed" means it was somewhere within the wildly variable range of allowable specs. Nowhere close to an optimum setup for handling. And if you changed springs and didn't get another alignment, then that's a fail as well.
venturaII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to venturaII For This Useful Post:
#my86build (05-09-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 01:11 PM   #17
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by #my86build View Post
Are we talking about an alignment that differs from factory spec?
You can be within factory specs and have a 'good' alignment. You can also be within factory specs and have an objectively bad alignment for performance driving.

It'll go down the road fine enough, but you're losing a lot of feel and performance.
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
#my86build (05-09-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 01:16 PM   #18
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
See, you can be positive. You "questioning" my experience/skill is better than children who assume. Are we talking about an alignment that differs from factory spec?

So the fact that you're asking these questions sort of proves out the assumption made by others (and myself, tbh) that your experience/ability to tell what's good or bad is lacking. Not a slam - just stating what seems to be obvious.

And yes, the factory alignment specs are decidedly less than optimum for handling. The tradeoff is better tire wear, less tendency to tramline, more braking stability, etc. But if you want a car that responds well to steering input, those other qualities will suffer.
venturaII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to venturaII For This Useful Post:
#my86build (05-09-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 02:08 PM   #19
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
This thread is good, keep it going guys
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 05:21 PM   #20
boredom.is.me
Custom User Title

Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
Thanked 1,182 Times in 697 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Garage
You have some homework to do. If you don't know what an alignment is, that's the first place to start. Look up camber, toe, caster, and how each one has an effect on the way a car handles. Do that, tell us what you learned, then we can move on to the next step. Don't even say a single word about your "next build".
Old 05-09-2017, 05:29 PM   #21
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
You have some homework to do. If you don't know what an alignment is, that's the first place to start. Look up camber, toe, caster, and how each one has an effect on the way a car handles. Do that, tell us what you learned, then we can move on to the next step. Don't even say a single word about your "next build".
meh homework is lame, either OP will spend two hours reading wikipedia articles about vehicle dynamics or he won't. Telling him to do so won't change that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
boredom.is.me (05-09-2017), Cole (05-09-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 05:50 PM   #22
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,318 Times in 4,120 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dattran86 View Post
struts bar is really good when you hard park at the local car meet with your hood open to show off the engine bay, not sure if it actually made a noticeable difference in handling.
Uh-oh. I am going to open a subject that has already been done to death but you know, because internet.

I made fun of the rear strut bar BUT the front strut bar is a different matter. Myself and many others have commented on a marked difference in feel after having a front strut bar fitted.

This post sums it up well:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedie View Post
Hi,

I recently received my GS bar, and was keen to see the difference this modification would bring to the feel of the car. With the help of my brother we came up with a homegrown blind test. (Both my brother and I have science backgrounds and could be fairly accused of suffering from mild OCD ).

The test was this, done five times.

A. My brother would toss a coin, heads the bar is installed, tails not.
B. In either case, step A would take fifteen minutes.
C. I am not in the garage and cannot hear what he is doing
D. My brother when finished step A and B would then pack up the tools, toot the horn and leave the garage.
E. I would take the car for a fifteen minute drive. Same circuit each time, I would note down whether I thought the bar was in or out.
F. When I returned, I would signal with the horn, leave the garage without crossing paths with my brother
G. At the end of five tests, we compared the results.

My brother had out, in, in, out, in.

I had out, in, in, out, in.

I don't want to scare anyone with how OCD I am, but the chances of me guessing correctly this sequence is one in thirty two, or a little over three percent.

Apart from having an enjoyable afternoon spent with my brother having some fun with cars, which we both have keen interests in, I am happily convinced this modification does make a difference for me.

For me it was clear very early in each drive whether the bar was in or not. The noise from bumps was subdued, the steering felt tighter and sharper and the car felt stiffer. I know these are all seat of the pants observations and hard to measure, all I can say is that for me I noticed differences that I liked and when I noticed these differences, it lined up with the bar being in.

So for what it's worth, I am satisfied that the bar makes a difference for me, which I very much like.

Ralph.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:01 PM   #23
Lust

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
I do know what an alignment is, you silly rabbit you. I just didn't know the difference between the factory one and a more performance orientated one. I will take your suggestion about researching camber, toe and caster. However, If I feel I have something to share, I will. If what I share is not of use to you or you feel what I am saying is wrong, you are welcome to correct it, but, "don't even say a single word about your "next build", is a bit harsh. I'll make sure to seek your permission the next time I post.
Typically when someone reviews something they're somewhat knowledgeable about the item or subject...
Lust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lust For This Useful Post:
Cole (05-09-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 07:50 AM   #24
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Thank you for your useful feedback. I did some of #5 on my new build. On my previous build, I was running 17x9 RPF1s with Hankook 245/40/17 RS3s, stock alignment and stock brakes. I'm planning on getting in some track time this summer. Agree, stiffer is not always better. Learned that the hard way, but at least I learned. My driving skill level, IMO is a 3/10, if 10 is pro.
You're welcome. We all throw money at the car buying parts. Although it is not always ideal, if it makes us happy...
Suggestion to get some decent(not entry level) brake pads and brake fluid, and add some camber(2++) up front with some camber bolts and you should have a good base for the track.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote