follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 10-28-2014, 11:43 AM   #1
SomeoneWhoIsntMe

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(x-post from my build thread) toyota axle conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeoneWhoIsntMe View Post

lexus ls400 hub vs. BRZ upright

it's ridiculous how chintzy subaru parts look next to manly toyota stuff. hopefully soon I'll be able to make a drawing / get a program done to spot, drill, cham, and spot face four new SHCS clearance holes on the back of the upright to make these LS400 hubs work.
Forking this into a new discussion here because not everyone reads my crappy build thread.

As you might know, the FT86 shares it's pumpkin with the IS300, meaning it's a toyota 8" IRS. With that in mind, I was amazed when I saw people were blowing the rear axles up on these cars, but when I realised that the subaru engineers decided to make kind of a conversion axle to mate subaru-sized outer splines, CV's, and axle shafts into the toyota diff, it all made sense.

That said, if you pop the rear axles out, you can just pop in either MK3 supra / MX83 cressida or IS300 companion flanges to the rear diff, and early (MA70 / MX83 / UCF10) or late (JCE10 + others??) toyota RWD axles will bolt up. This plus the fact that we can now run aluminum spacers between the axles and the companion flanges means there's a lot of axle lengths to pick from.

At this point, we only need to deal with the outer splines in the hub. Subaru went with a bolt-on hub assembly, and happily, they managed to pick the same registration diameter to the upright as Toyota did: 84mm. The hub pictured above is an LS400 (UCF30 I think but I can double check) unit, and it looks like I'll be able to make it work with only easy machining to the rear uprights. I will post updates and part numbers and possibly a drawing of the required work once I confirm this.

Figured the F/I guys and the swap crowd would be interested in this. The toyota 8" rear end is great, so you really don't need to swap in a ford 8.8" or any of that crazy shit, you just need axles that aren't shit. Paying $1000 for axles forged from unobtainium is one way, but it seems to me like swapping in regular old toyota axles is probably another good solution.

Discuss.
kodyo (10-28-2014), RFB (10-28-2014), whataboutbob (10-28-2014), wparsons (10-28-2014)
Old 10-28-2014, 12:48 PM   #2
8R6

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,338 Times in 746 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
i always think im pretty mechanically-inclined until i see threads like this and realize im not that mechanically-inclined. lol
Old 10-28-2014, 02:24 PM   #3
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeoneWhoIsntMe View Post
Forking this into a new discussion here because not everyone reads my crappy build thread.

As you might know, the FT86 shares it's pumpkin with the IS300, meaning it's a toyota 8" IRS. With that in mind, I was amazed when I saw people were blowing the rear axles up on these cars, but when I realised that the subaru engineers decided to make kind of a conversion axle to mate subaru-sized outer splines, CV's, and axle shafts into the toyota diff, it all made sense.

That said, if you pop the rear axles out, you can just pop in either MK3 supra / MX83 cressida or IS300 companion flanges to the rear diff, and early (MA70 / MX83 / UCF10) or late (JCE10 + others??) toyota RWD axles will bolt up. This plus the fact that we can now run aluminum spacers between the axles and the companion flanges means there's a lot of axle lengths to pick from.

At this point, we only need to deal with the outer splines in the hub. Subaru went with a bolt-on hub assembly, and happily, they managed to pick the same registration diameter to the upright as Toyota did: 84mm. The hub pictured above is an LS400 (UCF30 I think but I can double check) unit, and it looks like I'll be able to make it work with only easy machining to the rear uprights. I will post updates and part numbers and possibly a drawing of the required work once I confirm this.

Figured the F/I guys and the swap crowd would be interested in this. The toyota 8" rear end is great, so you really don't need to swap in a ford 8.8" or any of that crazy shit, you just need axles that aren't shit. Paying $1000 for axles forged from unobtainium is one way, but it seems to me like swapping in regular old toyota axles is probably another good solution.

Discuss.
Seems like a good option for those looking to upgrade. I look forward to your updates.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:19 PM   #4
SomeoneWhoIsntMe

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

super close, but not quite.

could be doable with a machined spacer between the hub and the upright, or easily doable once aftermarket uprights come out. hopefully parts shop MAX is clever enough to make theirs with a dual pattern for the rear hubs.

with a short spacer between the hub and bearing, it might be possible, but I'm going to investigate some other options first. I just got off the phone with PSM and they don't plan on making rear uprights, so I wonder who the first company to come out with some will be.

Last edited by SomeoneWhoIsntMe; 10-28-2014 at 06:01 PM.
SomeoneWhoIsntMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 03:55 AM   #5
Low&Slow

Drives: 10 Series #845
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
any updates?!
Old 06-25-2017, 01:19 PM   #6
surfingisfun

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Anyone found a toyota axle solution yet?
surfingisfun is offline   Reply With Quote