follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-29-2020, 06:08 PM   #1
dagle

Drives: assphalt FRS, couple s2000's
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is there a way to improve throttle response?

I'm coming from a mechanical cable system (s2000) and the FRS' throttle response in non-sport mode is painfully bad. There seems to be a full one-second delay between pedal input and response. I thought a couple of weeks would get me used to it, but after rolling backwards on a hill and curbing my wheels awfully (San Francisco hills), I'm frustrated to the point that I'm looking for a solution. That's also not accounting for the clutch delay system that's yet another stupid "feature"...

Is there a way to improve the lag without turning sport mode on every time? It's pretty awful compared to other DBW systems I've used before and is directly comparable to a Chevy Cruze and Kia Optima. If not, is there a way to simply leaving the car in sport mode permanently? Every time I shut off the car, it resets to non-sport mode which is pretty annoying.
dagle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dagle For This Useful Post:
bcj (06-30-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 06:13 PM   #2
SP86
2S Crew

Drives: a 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I don't know if it's just a mental thing for me but e85 and an open flash tune made a very notable difference in response.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:22 PM   #3
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Pretty sure is a tune issue.
My guess, ask the dealer if they can reflash it. Not sure how much that would cost, or if there is a service bulletin out there. Maybe more would chime in.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:20 PM   #4
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Ecutek race Rom or... https://www.carmodsaustralia.com.au/...troller-BRZ/86
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:31 PM   #5
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
don't know what year we're dealing with, but very rarely i can catch my '14 off guard on rev-matches for just a half-second. otherwise, the gas pedal operates exactly like how i expect it to.

unlike my work truck, where i call it 'the suggestion pedal'.
norcalpb (06-30-2020), wparsons (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 07:50 PM   #6
dagle

It's an early 13' model with a newer ECU at some point during warranty. I was hoping I wouldn't have to flash it as "sport" mode is sufficiently responsive for my expectations. I may just end up wiring out a 12v off the ignition to turn on sport mode when the car starts instead.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:00 PM   #7
Gloonge

Drives: 2013 frs raven
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagle View Post
It's an early 13' model with a newer ECU at some point during warranty. I was hoping I wouldn't have to flash it as "sport" mode is sufficiently responsive for my expectations. I may just end up wiring out a 12v off the ignition to turn on sport mode when the car starts instead.
You might have to install some sort of time delay relay to get the desired effect.
Gloonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:19 PM   #8
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
dagle, sorry to hear you are having issues with default nanny mode. I always drove it with full press for 100% 'off' unless I forgot on very rare occasions. When disconnecting the battery the few times necessary, I always hated the throttle response for quite a while afterwards...never liked disconnecting the battery for any kind of reason. My habit that became second nature was to always run in traction/stability 'off' 100% of the time. Get in, start the car and hold the button down till traction/stability were off/lit up... never drove it in full nanny mode or sport mode.

dagle bought my car, extremely early '13 model. Battery was disconnected to put factory drivers seat back in for him, and of course sucky pedal response that takes place after a power reset. The car never liked a period of time after a power reset even with 100% 'off' of traction/stability.

Last edited by Vracer111; 06-29-2020 at 09:31 PM.
Vracer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vracer111 For This Useful Post:
bcj (06-30-2020), Spuds (07-04-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 09:34 PM   #9
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Clutch delay system?

As far as throttle body this is the best DBW system I've ever driven. I think it might be an issue of you getting used to a car.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:56 PM   #10
dagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracer111 View Post
dagle, sorry to hear you are having issues with default nanny mode. I always drove it with full press for 100% 'off' unless I forgot on very rare occasions. When disconnecting the battery the few times necessary, I always hated the throttle response for quite a while afterwards...never liked disconnecting the battery for any kind of reason. My habit that became second nature was to always run in traction/stability 'off' 100% of the time. Get in, start the car and hold the button down till traction/stability were off/lit up... never drove it in full nanny mode or sport mode.

dagle bought my car, extremely early '13 model. Battery was disconnected to put factory drivers seat back in for him, and of course sucky pedal response that takes place after a power reset. The car never liked a period of time after a power reset even with 100% 'off' of traction/stability.
Haha, no worries it's a joy in sport mode. The ECU relearn is likely not the issue anymore as I have driven it a bit over 400 miles at this point in a variety of traffic conditions (~150 stop/go traffic, 250 on the freeway) and 20-30 drive cycles. I have started the car and immediately turned VSC off and sport mode on, but that seems like a hassle long-term. It may even be that the stock intake is a bit slower to respond as I had to reinstall all the resonators to pass emissions here. The interior cabin resonator valve is hilarious by the way
Old 06-29-2020, 10:08 PM   #11
dagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
Clutch delay system?

As far as throttle body this is the best DBW system I've ever driven. I think it might be an issue of you getting used to a car.
if you ever have a chance to drive sporty cars from the early 2000's, it'll fill you in on what you might be missing out on

the slave cylinder design from the 90s and 00's were different that allowed for clutch modulation to be almost 1:1 analogously regardless of how hard you stomp on or release the clutch. I don't think the FRS/BRZ have the same system components, there seems to be a mechanical or hydraulic delay (unless if my master cylinder's brake fluid is mushier than it should be) when releasing the clutch particularly if I clutch dump at high RPMs. The net effect is that I shift in my s2000 significantly faster than in my FRS and both cars have fairly mild clutches (both sprung, full non-pucked discs). The other time it's noticeable is when I am in San Francisco on a hill riding my clutch (zero throttle, sitting on the clutch engaged to hold me at 0mph and not rolling). I can do this effortlessly on my S2000 and I cannot seem to get it to work in my FRS, though I will admit that I have had more than a decade of practice in the former car.

as far as the throttle body DBW system, we can agree to disagree lol i've driven a handful of DBW cars that were very good but that's probably biased by how much horsepower they have and thus how much feedback the driver is immersed with. I much prefer the later 08-09 s2000's DBW system and even the newer teslas, but again those are different monsters. The FRS in sport mode seems to be closer to those 2, but in normal mode it is not great in my opinion.
The Following User Says Thank You to dagle For This Useful Post:
alphasaur (06-30-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 10:11 PM   #12
Gloonge

Drives: 2013 frs raven
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagle View Post
if you ever have a chance to drive sporty cars from the early 2000's, it'll fill you in on what you might be missing out on

the slave cylinder design from the 90s and 00's were different that allowed for clutch modulation to be almost 1:1 analogously regardless of how hard you stomp on or release the clutch. I don't think the FRS/BRZ have the same system components, there seems to be a mechanical or hydraulic delay (unless if my master cylinder's brake fluid is mushier than it should be) when releasing the clutch particularly if I clutch dump at high RPMs. The net effect is that I shift in my s2000 significantly faster than in my FRS and both cars have fairly mild clutches (both sprung, full non-pucked discs).

as far as the throttle body DBW system, we can agree to disagree lol i've driven a handful of DBW cars that were very good but that's probably biased by how much horsepower they have and thus how much feedback the driver is immersed with. I much prefer the later 08-09 s2000's DBW system and even the newer teslas, but again those are different monsters. The FRS in sport mode seems to be closer to those 2, but in normal mode it is not great in my opinion.
Is the clutch issue you're describing have anything to do with the assist spring? It makes the pedal feel totally jon linear.
Gloonge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gloonge For This Useful Post:
Summerwolf (06-30-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 10:16 PM   #13
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP86 View Post
I don't know if it's just a mental thing for me but e85 and an open flash tune made a very notable difference in response.
Definitely not a mental thing. I switched back to stock tune and the throttle response felt really slow. On the e85 OFT tune, it's much better.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
SP86 (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 12:20 AM   #14
dagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloonge View Post
Is the clutch issue you're describing have anything to do with the assist spring? It makes the pedal feel totally jon linear.
holy fk your a god dude, i just googled/youtubed it and that does describe the symptoms quite nicely. i'll spend the 5 minutes on the weekend and knock that spring outta there to test with for a week. if i end up not liking it, i'll order a weaker spring. it also looks like a common sized spring, might look in my hobby drawer to see if there's anything with the correct diameter that i can cut down. lol i've daily driven twin discs, unsprung pucked and custom high tq clutches and it was boggling my mind why i couldn't control the FRS the same way.