follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 10-28-2013, 12:50 PM   #547
bgibbsunc

Drives: Firestorm Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TruenoFRS View Post
so Im seriously ready to pull the trigger on this kit. My end goal is to break the 400whp mark(but that way down the line) which from what Ive read can and has been done w/ both the 57/60 trim turbos and corn juice. My build will be slower as I dont wanna hit that mark off the bat and i will be building on a budget. My biggest concern is the tuning. My question is, Does the kit come with a base map that is driveable? The car is my daily but I could work things to where I wouldnt need to rely on it.(basically I want the car down for as little time as possible) Where I'm at I do not have access to a dyno w/o driving 2 hrs plus so my car would have to be street tuned.
The tune is definitely driveable actually the base tune is very conservative. Only issue I had was my car had rought start when I first tuned it. I gave Toni a call and had a new tune within minutes. After that she started right up and was good to go.

FA20 club 60 trim + flex fuel
467 whp 356 ft lbs @ 19 lbs
Owner of Sidewinders Auto LLC.
San Antonio TX
bgibbsunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:17 PM   #548
Admired

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
How does the turbosmart blow off valve sound compared to the Tial one? Is anyone rockin one of those HKS sequential BOV's? I just want that awesome purging sound.
Admired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:20 PM   #549
pixel67

Drives: 13 Asphalt FRS AT
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TruenoFRS View Post
so Im seriously ready to pull the trigger on this kit. My end goal is to break the 400whp mark(but that way down the line) which from what Ive read can and has been done w/ both the 57/60 trim turbos and corn juice. My build will be slower as I dont wanna hit that mark off the bat and i will be building on a budget. My biggest concern is the tuning. My question is, Does the kit come with a base map that is driveable? The car is my daily but I could work things to where I wouldnt need to rely on it.(basically I want the car down for as little time as possible) Where I'm at I do not have access to a dyno w/o driving 2 hrs plus so my car would have to be street tuned.
I also took the "slow build" approach (still in progress on my dd) and it is doable without having dyno time. Remember, the real benefit of a dyno tune is that the environment is controlled. A consistent load is placed on the vehicle and vehicle performance is consistently measured in the same fashion. The way data is reviewed by Toni is the same in both situations. So, you need to try and mimic the controlled environment that a dyno offers:
  1. Consistent Load: Pick the same stretch of road, starting gear (4th on a manual, 3rd on an Auto), start RPM, finish RPM every time. Always street dyno with a full tank. Fueling on these cars seems flakey when you get to half tank or less. Keep load on your car the same (If you always pull with a passenger then continue to do so). If you change the load on the car, make sure you notify Toni when sending the logs so he can adjust on his side when reviewing logs. The tools he likely uses can compensate for load changes but only if he knows about it.
  2. Consistent measurement: Always use Ecutek to generate logs files and pick the same parameters each time (he will let you know what to log). Trim them up nice so you don't send huge files where he has to manually trim them before reviewing. I would suggest you upgrade your MAP sensor in stage 1 and install an AEM Failsafe (or equivalent) and include any logs from said device so he can see boost levels and wideband AFR. This is data he would usually see from a quality dyno run.
  3. Defined Stages: Make sure you do your homework upfront. Fuel Pump, Injectors, and Boost controller can all probably wait until stage 2. You mentioned E85 so either plan on the flex kit (my suggestion) or plan for map switching. Once you go higher in boost you will need to address your exhaust as all that air has to have someplace to go...Quickly! Just be aware that the back pressure created by the exhaust can actually decrease the amount of boost the engine receives on a 7psi spring.

Good luck!
Old 10-28-2013, 09:29 PM   #550
Frs300

Drives: Pile of junk
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
where the hell is my car
Frs300 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frs300 For This Useful Post:
ecko04 (10-29-2013), feldy (10-29-2013), lbroskee (10-28-2013)
Old 10-28-2013, 09:30 PM   #551
pixel67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admired View Post
How does the turbosmart blow off valve sound compared to the Tial one? Is anyone rockin one of those HKS sequential BOV's? I just want that awesome purging sound.
I have the Tial BOV and it is more of a fluttering sound than a smooth pressure release. Mine is quite vocal but isn't as smooth as Turbosmarts that I have heard.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:58 PM   #552
SmsAlSuwaidi
Boosted

Drives: Not a supra....yet
Thanked 1,203 Times in 812 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Kit going to get installed next monday on the second car, might be the first 60 trim UEL kit on 91 octane ( Correct me if im wrong @FA20Club.com ).

We are going to start with the base map, 5psi and then work from there and hopefully let toni do his magic via E-tuning.
SmsAlSuwaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:10 AM   #553
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frs300 View Post
where the hell is my car
Probably sitting in the corner of the TR3 Performance shop.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:15 AM   #554
SmsAlSuwaidi
Boosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
Probably sitting in the corner of the TR3 Performance shop.
While they go around filming girls in atoms
Old 10-29-2013, 01:10 PM   #555
ecko04
Seems Legit

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frs300 View Post
where the hell is my car
The same place your thread is...
Old 10-29-2013, 01:20 PM   #556
pixel67

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko04 View Post
I believe Toni started that thread so it was his prerogative to lock it. I can't blame him after seeing all the hater sharks circling. @Frs300 why not start a new one of your own? Even though that thread is locked, all of the photo URL and such should still work just fine...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2013, 01:42 PM   #557
SmsAlSuwaidi
Boosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixel67 View Post
I believe Toni started that thread so it was his prerogative to lock it. I can't blame him after seeing all the hater sharks circling. @Frs300 why not start a new one of your own? Even though that thread is locked, all of the photo URL and such should still work just fine...

People where hating for a reason though, missing deadlines weekly and broken promises suck

Ps: let's not take this thread down too
The Following User Says Thank You to SmsAlSuwaidi For This Useful Post:
1slowbrz (10-30-2013)
Old 10-29-2013, 01:49 PM   #558
ecko04
Seems Legit

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixel67 View Post

The back and forth happens when the person who wasn't quoted in the message, responds to the message. Your defense of Toni is not warranted in this instance. I check-in with @Frs300 often to see how he's holding up and progress on his build via PM, never publicly. So my response to him was a joke as he would've taken it but you wouldn't know that because you're replying to something that wasn't intended for you.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:37 PM   #559
pixel67

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmsAlSuwaidi View Post
People where hating for a reason though, missing deadlines weekly and broken promises suck

Ps: let's not take this thread down too

Don't mistake my comments for blind support of Toni and it wasn't meant as a smart ass remark (was typing it on my Nexus which is a pain). I have had my own issues along the way and dealt with them directly and satisfactorily. People were hating because they love to hate as they feel it furthers their own cause. Rather than start their own thread about their own experiences, and risk their own thread getting locked and themselves banned, they want to hijack someone else's thread and dog pile on the bitch session. Keep in mind this isn't directed at any person on this thread but we have all seen this happen to other threads that were eventually locked...

Don't get me wrong, I am VERY sympathetic with @Frs300 situation, don't fault him one bit, and really want to see his build thread resurrected with him as the author because he is pioneering what many of us will eventually want to do down the road.

But... It was Toni's thread to do with as he pleases whether we like it or not. I am keeping it linked next to @Frs300 entry in the first post in case anyone wants to see it for future reference as there is still a lot of useful information in it. I will continue to keep it linked until Toni or @Frs300 tell me otherwise but also want to add to it. He WILL get the car back at some point and I am sure everyone will want to see it and live vicariously!
Old 10-29-2013, 02:38 PM   #560
Frs300

Drives: Pile of junk
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko04 View Post

Frs300 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
0-60 in 22million sec, beam, best of all, doyen done done it again!, fa20club header, fa20club.com, fa20crap, fa20crud.com, frs turbo kit, i like turbos, turbo frs, turbo kit, turbocharged brz, visconti 2.0?, welding4noobs, www.p&lclub.com, you'llneedamuletoride