follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 11-04-2014, 10:55 AM   #1
wahsaihin

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Sport-Tech
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
BRZ to FR-S Trunk Lid Swapping

Hi all,

Did a search for this, but couldn't find something that could address my question clearly.

Was wondering what is involved with a trunk swap between a BRZ and FR-S. I have the BRZ with the OEM spoiler on it and found an FR-S with the same color, interested in trading me.

Besides the badging (which I assume can be directly swapped by transferring the badges?), what else do I need to be aware of that requires effort over and above a straight BRZ to BRZ swap?

Thanks!
wahsaihin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:18 PM   #2
Bach415

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahsaihin View Post
Hi all,

Did a search for this, but couldn't find something that could address my question clearly.

Was wondering what is involved with a trunk swap between a BRZ and FR-S. I have the BRZ with the OEM spoiler on it and found an FR-S with the same color, interested in trading me.

Besides the badging (which I assume can be directly swapped by transferring the badges?), what else do I need to be aware of that requires effort over and above a straight BRZ to BRZ swap?

Thanks!
It should just be a direct swap. For badges, you would probably need new adhesive when you swap them over.
Bach415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:16 PM   #3
Jive Turkey
the tuna, no crust.

Drives: 2014 Hachiroku of the year
Thanked 1,770 Times in 761 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
i did that. you unbolt yours, unbolt locking mechanism and swap the harness/trim with the license plate lights. very straight forward.
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jive Turkey For This Useful Post:
Dominus (01-16-2015)
Old 11-04-2014, 07:53 PM   #4
Model Citizen
Lacking brains

Drives: frz
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I own an frs,

i bought a brz limited trunk off ebay and put a wing on the frs trunk for autotivities.

When i swap its 4 bolts for the hinges, 2 for the license plate and unplugging the wiring harness.

Latch is never touched because i'm not worried about the using the key for my purposes.
Model Citizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:51 PM   #5
PhoKingCool

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model Citizen View Post
I own an frs,

i bought a brz limited trunk off ebay and put a wing on the frs trunk for autotivities.

When i swap its 4 bolts for the hinges, 2 for the license plate and unplugging the wiring harness.

Latch is never touched because i'm not worried about the using the key for my purposes.
Interesting. How else are you going to easily get into the trunk if you lose the remote? lol OP, I would highly advise in taking the time to swap out the latch. It is seriously a 10 minute job, no matter how mechanically inclined you are.
PhoKingCool is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PhoKingCool For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (11-16-2014), Model Citizen (11-04-2014), wahsaihin (11-04-2014)
Old 11-04-2014, 08:56 PM   #6
Model Citizen
Lacking brains

Drives: frz
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoKingCool View Post
Interesting. How else are you going to easily get into the trunk if you lose the remote? lol OP, I would highly advise in taking the time to swap out the latch. It is seriously a 10 minute job, no matter how mechanically inclined you are.
Use the button on the dash?

Spare key?

Or in my case with a rear seat delete just reach through.

I do agree though. For most people swap the mechanism too for the one oddball chance over the life of the car you may use the key hole. I.e. when the kill button at the side of the trunk gets bumped.
Model Citizen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Model Citizen For This Useful Post:
wahsaihin (11-04-2014)
Old 11-04-2014, 09:17 PM   #7
wahsaihin

thanks for the tips everyone. in the Sport-tech version (here in Canada), I get the push to start button, so I only have remote fobs anyway. not even sure if i have a keyhole in my trunk to start with...and if I did, I have no key, lol. good to know it is a simple swap. thanks everyone. will save me a lot of money no having to fill in the holes and refinish the lid to get a new wing on there.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:20 PM   #8
navanodd

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport-tech WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
There is a keyhole, its facing down and located where you grab the trunk. You're keyless fob has a physical key inside it, you push on the button on the side to pop it out. This will let you open the driver's door with the dead battery and you can open the trunk.

You want the latch swapped over. Don't rely on the dashboard button. There is a switch in the trunk to be used when giving the car to valets that prevents entry into the trunk. It makes the keyfob to no longer pop it or allow you to use keyless to open and it also disables the button. The only way to open the trunk if that switch is on is to use the key or figure out some way to manhandle the rear seats into folding from inside the cabin.

The unfortunate part is that they installed this switch low in the trunk on the left side. Someday, sometime, stuff you have in the trunk will hit it and lock you out of your trunk. You'll be glad that your key works in it then.
navanodd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to navanodd For This Useful Post:
wahsaihin (11-05-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 12:22 AM   #9
wahsaihin

Quote:
Originally Posted by navanodd View Post
There is a keyhole, its facing down and located where you grab the trunk. You're keyless fob has a physical key inside it, you push on the button on the side to pop it out. This will let you open the driver's door with the dead battery and you can open the trunk.

You want the latch swapped over. Don't rely on the dashboard button. There is a switch in the trunk to be used when giving the car to valets that prevents entry into the trunk. It makes the keyfob to no longer pop it or allow you to use keyless to open and it also disables the button. The only way to open the trunk if that switch is on is to use the key or figure out some way to manhandle the rear seats into folding from inside the cabin.

The unfortunate part is that they installed this switch low in the trunk on the left side. Someday, sometime, stuff you have in the trunk will hit it and lock you out of your trunk. You'll be glad that your key works in it then.
wow. valuable info. thanks. totally did not know about they key!
Old 11-05-2014, 07:22 PM   #10
Lverasky
RedBunny w/ Wing

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
i did that. you unbolt yours, unbolt locking mechanism and swap the harness/trim with the license plate lights. very straight forward.
^^