follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 07-29-2021, 07:39 PM   #1
Bergycheese348

Drives: TRD Supercharged 2016 FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
TRD GT Wing (MS342-18006)

I’m back with questions on more TRD Japan parts. This time is the GT Wing (MS342-18006). I know there was some talk about the Griffon wing a while back, how people wanted it for looks, but is there any knowledge on the production wing? I know this came on the 14R60, which was a track car in essence, but I haven’t seen any physical or psychological data to prove this is not only efficient but also increases downforce by a large amount. Deciding between the APR GT250/300 wing and this, and don’t mind a little more for shipping. TIA!
Bergycheese348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:09 PM   #2
Butterballz

Drives: Black FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Unless there is real world testing or even a CFD analysis, no one will know if the wing works or how efficient it is. Shoot, for 5k I would hope it works but you can get so many other wings with testing for much less. Nine Lives Racing and Verus Engineering both sell wings with analysis for much cheaper.
Butterballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 12:28 AM   #3
Bergycheese348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterballz View Post
Unless there is real world testing or even a CFD analysis, no one will know if the wing works or how efficient it is. Shoot, for 5k I would hope it works but you can get so many other wings with testing for much less. Nine Lives Racing and Verus Engineering both sell wings with analysis for much cheaper.
I’m assuming it’s very good as it’s $3200 (tax and shipping not included, and this is from Black Hawk Japan) and it was used on the Griffon. Saying it was used on the Griffon, it would be speculated to be really effective and efficient due to the fact that the Griffon was made specifically for the track, and they were trying their best to help promote the ZN6 chassis and show its potential with no power upgrades. TRD Japan should have put out stats and stuff for all their things, because it would attract more sales and would actually help people who want to purchase them. I really wish there was evidence for this wing!
Old 07-30-2021, 03:57 AM   #4
Bach415

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergycheese348 View Post
I’m assuming it’s very good as it’s $3200 (tax and shipping not included, and this is from Black Hawk Japan) and it was used on the Griffon. Saying it was used on the Griffon, it would be speculated to be really effective and efficient due to the fact that the Griffon was made specifically for the track, and they were trying their best to help promote the ZN6 chassis and show its potential with no power upgrades. TRD Japan should have put out stats and stuff for all their things, because it would attract more sales and would actually help people who want to purchase them. I really wish there was evidence for this wing!
IIRC it's similar not isn't the same wing that is used on the Griffon. The Griffon wasn't a swan neck wing. It's a wing that is on the 14r60 for sure but correct if I'm wrong, the stands itself also do make a difference when it comes to it's effectiveness.
Bach415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 04:49 AM   #5
saltywetman

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT 6M
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
lotta the JDM TRD stuff for the kouki 86 may resemble the griffon car but is completely different. The wheels are another example. design wise, the trd sf3 resembles the griffon wheels (although they are gold in color instead of black) however, the Griffon wheels were forged magnesium and were 18x8.5 while the trd SF3's are forged aluminum and 18x8.0

You're better off going with a voltex wing if you're looking to spend that kinda money for jdm
saltywetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 01:48 AM   #6
Bergycheese348

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltywetman View Post
lotta the JDM TRD stuff for the kouki 86 may resemble the griffon car but is completely different. The wheels are another example. design wise, the trd sf3 resembles the griffon wheels (although they are gold in color instead of black) however, the Griffon wheels were forged magnesium and were 18x8.5 while the trd SF3's are forged aluminum and 18x8.0

You're better off going with a voltex wing if you're looking to spend that kinda money for jdm
The wheels for the Griffon were special wheels for the Griffon hence the Griffon on the caps. The other SF3 wheels were made as other TRD wheels, not specifically a street version of the Griffon wheels.