follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 06-13-2021, 02:18 PM   #15
Alastor

Drives: Toyota gt86 my19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
Oem audio expects you to use the factory radio, use their amp, and contact them for any further tuning.

Once you ditched the factory radio, you're on your own as far as tuning goes, and you're even further on your own once you selected a different brand of amp.
Ok thanks
Alastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 11:51 AM   #16
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
So why does OEM audio plus prefer to use the rear speakers? in fact when I had it working the scene was well executed.

I'm curious as to the results of your Auto TA/EQ process with the test microphone. How did it go?
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 08:06 AM   #17
Alastor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S2GT86 View Post
Because the stock BRZ/86 system is what the people who designed the OEM Audio+ system were given to work with. Pioneer doesn’t know what you’re installing their head unit into, but they DO know how their DSP works. Trust me on this, if you’re going for sound quality, the fewer speakers, the better.

K.I.S.S.

K.eep
I.t
S.imple
S.tupid

I did not answer you because apparently you were rude in what I point out. That he uses the translator does not mean that he is an asshole. If you give me an explanation about that comment, I may answer you.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:49 AM   #18
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
I did not answer you because apparently you were rude in what I point out. That he uses the translator does not mean that he is an asshole. If you give me an explanation about that comment, I may answer you.

I was not being rude at all. Anyone that knows me here, knows I want to help them make their audio system sound better. Just ask Mr. @Tcoat.

K.I.S.S. is a common saying here in North America meaning that you'll get better results by not overcomplicating something.

In car audio, if there is a sound quality issue, adding a speaker (or set of speakers) will rarely cure that problem. In fact, it will most likely worsen the problem and cost you more money and time trying to fix it.

In your very first post of this thread, you said:

"I will also receive the Pioneer cd-mc20 automatic calibration microphone shortly, so I can compare.

My intention is to achieve a sound as faithful as possible."

I've got two of those calibration microphones because I've got two Pioneer head units with built-in DSP. I'm fairly confident in what I'm speaking of.

Your Pioneer head unit has six sets of RCA signal outputs. Your built-in DSP can only control up to six separate speakers, no more. Your auto EQ/TA will give you an error if there are more speakers playing than the six allowed when trying to run the Auto EQ/TA procedure.

Figure out the six speakers that you want to run in your system, if I were in your position, personally I would run the two door speakers, the two tweeters in the dash, and your subwoofer.
I would disconnect the rear 4" speakers. Then I would set the Pioneer head unit to Network Mode.

Then I would set all of my amplifier levels to about halfway, and follow the instructions in the operator's manual in running the Auto EQ/TA.

If after the Auto EQ/TA completes successfully, I would listen to the system for a while, maybe several days or even a few weeks, then determine if adding the rear speakers will help or hurt your front stage. My guess, seeing that they will not be time-aligned to the rest of the system, they will actually end up making it sound worse. In this case K.I.S.S. and leave those rear speakers out permanently.

Did you read those AudioFrog articles by Andy Wehmeyer?
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 07:28 AM   #19
Alastor

Hello

I was referring to this more specifically.

Keep
Item
Simple
Stupid

I don't know if it must be an expression but that stupid was not pleasant.

Putting that little ending aside, I'm going to tell you what I did.

At the moment I am not going to do anything else, since I have the OEM audio + system again but I will comment on some tests that I did.

The pioneer has an option to completely bypass the rear speakers and only the front and sub are heard. I did an autoEQ with the Pioneer microphone, but in the crosover the front speakers were at full range (it did not seem normal to me), the sub at 80hz and the rear at 125hz (within normal), the equalization was a success when it did. deactivated there is a loss of presence in the media, especially voices and some instruments.

The volume of the front right, co-driver were + 2db, the rear +4 left +3 right. I deduce that the centimeters in delays are correct because a microphone should be more accurate than a tape measure.

The subwoofer activated phase and -3db. I would not know how to tell you but the sound is quite balanced but lacking in weight in the subwoofer.

I managed to configure it my way and get a "good sound", but be sure to try and change options.

I attach some images of my configurations.

The Technical configuration of car-audio shop, without microphones or adjustments by any device

The front cuts are from 100hz to -18db, it does not appear in the image but you can see the slope in the other graphics.

-8db to the front speakers is because, lacking passive crossover, the tweeters screech excessively.

Here we do not apply time correction.

Personal configuration, following some steps of audiofrog.

That configuration is the one that best gave me the feeling that it was offering me, because the other scenes I don't know why the punch was not centered at all, it moved a little to the left while the voices were perfectly centered and coming from the end of the dashboard. , where is that highlight in the middle.

The RTA graph was analyzed with a simple Xiaomi redmi, so it will not be the most accurate, but it gives us an idea of ​​how the system was at that time.

Finally, the last configuration that I have right now is a mix between the sound technician, the autoEQ and the audiofrog. Why? because the subwoofer sounds more to me, the front speakers are at 100hz and do not suffer as much, the delays are respected, the EQ of the autoEQ is respected. Although I like how it sounds more with the previous configuration, I have to say that with the latter it was heard louder and with more presence of the sub.

In short, the autoEQ is quite good and I would recommend it.

Thanks for everything
Old 07-31-2021, 04:10 PM   #20
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Hello

I was referring to this more specifically.

Keep
Item
Simple
Stupid
]
This is a very old American saying. It's a reminder to not make things too complicated.
FR-S2GT86 (08-01-2021)
Old 08-01-2021, 03:57 AM   #21
Alastor

Ok I understand. Sorry
The Following User Says Thank You to Alastor For This Useful Post:
FR-S2GT86 (08-01-2021)
Old 08-01-2021, 07:18 AM   #22
thomasmryan

Drives: hyper blue
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S2GT86 View Post

In car audio, if there is a sound quality issue, adding a speaker (or set of speakers) will rarely cure that problem. In fact, it will most likely worsen the problem and cost you more money and time trying to fix it.

Less is More. A car is a tough room.

A comb filter on the drivers side dash speaker works for me.
thomasmryan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thomasmryan For This Useful Post:
FR-S2GT86 (08-01-2021)
Old 08-01-2021, 11:06 AM   #23
thomasmryan

Drives: hyper blue
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
go 8 minutes in for a visual on dropouts with multiple high frequency drivers

thomasmryan is offline   Reply With Quote