follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 05-13-2020, 04:36 PM   #3487
DuMa

Drives: LR BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
there is a reputable tuner office in my area selling a used EForce kit (6k miles used) for $5k installed with tuned (no ecutek license). Im pretty new to shopping for SC kits but that deal kinda stood out to me. Thoughts?
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DuMa For This Useful Post:
BR-ZED (07-22-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 10:41 PM   #3488
Side

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuMa View Post
there is a reputable tuner office in my area selling a used EForce kit (6k miles used) for $5k installed with tuned (no ecutek license). Im pretty new to shopping for SC kits but that deal kinda stood out to me. Thoughts?
I got the same offer from that tuner, so at least they're consistent.

It's a good deal, I emailed them for a full quote on installing/tuning a new one. You're basically getting the supercharger for $2900.
Side is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Side For This Useful Post:
DuMa (05-17-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 05:40 PM   #3489
Glitch

Drives: 2019 86 TRD SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Got my kit in and the CARB tune file from Edelbrock ready to go.
Looking to install it this weekend.

Question:
I have an UEL header on the car. I know that the tune from Edelbrock is for stock motors, but can i use the tune with the UEL until I can get a better custom tune?
Glitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:45 PM   #3490
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Got my kit in and the CARB tune file from Edelbrock ready to go.
Looking to install it this weekend.

Question:
I have an UEL header on the car. I know that the tune from Edelbrock is for stock motors, but can i use the tune with the UEL until I can get a better custom tune?
I wouldn't recommend it for anything beyond moving the car around a parking lot.

Can you? yes. Should you? Absolutely not.
CSG Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 12:47 AM   #3491
shr133

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
So today loss of part throttle power, get home and and data log and it's going crazy lean at part throttle........ I'm running no vacuum lines... that only leaves the actuator, superchargers 6 months old... I figured it would have the new one Guess not...
Enkei TS9 18 X 8, Michelin Sport 4S 225 40 18, Flex Fuel, Edelbrock Supercharger, P & L header, Nameless front pipe, V1 cat back, Aluminum Driveshaft, pvc delete, med duck bill, KW V3, Whiteline 20 and 18 mm bars, Buddy Club and SPL control arms, Toe Arms, motor and trans mounts, Whiteline bushings, SHR stage II tune.
shr133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 01:35 AM   #3492
shr133

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
May have a bad O2 sensor, but I do have the old Actuator and I just got it in december, grrrrrr.
Enkei TS9 18 X 8, Michelin Sport 4S 225 40 18, Flex Fuel, Edelbrock Supercharger, P & L header, Nameless front pipe, V1 cat back, Aluminum Driveshaft, pvc delete, med duck bill, KW V3, Whiteline 20 and 18 mm bars, Buddy Club and SPL control arms, Toe Arms, motor and trans mounts, Whiteline bushings, SHR stage II tune.
shr133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:08 PM   #3493
BR-ZED

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited
About to install this on an otherwise stock BRZ (cat back only)

Will be doing a custom tune by my tuner.

Do people in general recommend the DBOX? Does it always help or is it more advisable to do it if the car is driving rough at higher RPMs? Should it be done before the tune or can it be done after the tune? Looking for specific experiences.

Also, does the DBOX cause any emissions issues in terms of codes or the system not being ready?
BR-ZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:53 PM   #3494
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
No need for the dbox with current tuning techniques.
CSG Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:01 PM   #3495
BR-ZED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
No need for the dbox with current tuning techniques.
Interesting. Specifically...?
Old 05-27-2020, 09:08 PM   #3496
devtec

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Edelbrock E-force Owner's thread and FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)

I was having a few problems with the D-box.

Did toast’s mod of relocating the MAP sensor away from the intake runner in order to provide a smoother MAP signal. See post #3357.

I can confirm that this works beautifully—significantly smoother all around, *especially on throttle tip in* which had always previously been a problem on my car (hesitation, etc).

Car has never driven better.

Removed my D-box.

Many thanks to toast for this mod.

Last edited by devtec; 05-27-2020 at 09:23 PM.
devtec is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to devtec For This Useful Post:
BR-ZED (05-28-2020), CSG Mike (05-28-2020), Kiske (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 08:24 AM   #3497
BR-ZED

Quote:
Originally Posted by devtec View Post
I was having a few problems with the D-box.

Did toast’s mod of relocating the MAP sensor away from the intake runner in order to provide a smoother MAP signal. See post #3357.

I can confirm that this works beautifully—significantly smoother all around, *especially on throttle tip in* which had always previously been a problem on my car (hesitation, etc).

Car has never driven better.

Removed my D-box.

Many thanks to toast for this mod.
Thanks, though having not installed the kit that post left me scratching my head a little. It wasn't 100% clear what exactly to do. If my understanding is correct, the MAP was just relocated to another area that would theoretically be at the same pressure? Also it sounds like you all are using aftermarket MAP sensors since you are using the stock sensor to "plug" the original hole? Wonder if there is a solution if you only have the stock MAP sensor? Or, is there a new MAP included in the kit that allows the stock one to be used as a plug?

Also, if you have the new bypass valve (kit 15001) how does it affect @toast and his solution, since it sounds like he modified where the old bypass valve was connected? I'm crossing my fingers that my kit comes with the new bypass valve so I don't have to worry about that..

Also does your solution also require welding? Because I don't have a welder or know how to weld.
The Following User Says Thank You to BR-ZED For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 08:46 AM   #3498
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,067 Times in 775 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
You can tune maf only using leaving stock map , and you don't really care of its bad signal on boost
or you can use aftermarket map sensor with modded position to use speed density
but honestly unless you re maxing out maf sensor, maf-based is good enough for supercharger
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:31 AM   #3499
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR-ZED View Post
Thanks, though having not installed the kit that post left me scratching my head a little. It wasn't 100% clear what exactly to do. If my understanding is correct, the MAP was just relocated to another area that would theoretically be at the same pressure? Also it sounds like you all are using aftermarket MAP sensors since you are using the stock sensor to "plug" the original hole? Wonder if there is a solution if you only have the stock MAP sensor? Or, is there a new MAP included in the kit that allows the stock one to be used as a plug?

Also, if you have the new bypass valve (kit 15001) how does it affect @toast and his solution, since it sounds like he modified where the old bypass valve was connected? I'm crossing my fingers that my kit comes with the new bypass valve so I don't have to worry about that..

Also does your solution also require welding? Because I don't have a welder or know how to weld.
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...postcount=3357

You need to be able to weld or have someone make you an aluminum box with a vacuum nipple attached. Buy a second map sensor (they're like $20 for a plain one) put that in the manifold where the tmap sensor is and mount the tmap in the box. Connect box to the SC manifold in the back (either T the vacuum port that goes to the bypass valve or change the source of the bypass valve to the brake booster line and just run the manifold nipple right to the aluminum box). More involved but even better is to get a second tmap sensor, split the wiring harness so that the temperature comes from the sensor in the manifold and the pressure comes from the box.

The point is to get the pressure reading out of the intake runner - since it is a pipe with moving air and a periodic plug on one end (the intake valves) a resonance condition gets set up in the runner above 4k rpm. The tmap sees this and the ECU tries to adjust fueling *for all four cylinders* based on this. That wobble in pressure might be real for that cylinder but 1) the fueling response will have a phase delay and 2) the phase of the resonance in all the other cylinders will surely be wrong.

I can say this mod make the car feel a LOT better and when I shared this with Zach he sent me a new tune to take advantage of it and it then got even smoother.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to toast For This Useful Post:
BR-ZED (05-28-2020), CSG Mike (05-28-2020), Kiske (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 09:13 PM   #3500
BR-ZED

Quote:
Originally Posted by toast View Post
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...postcount=3357

You need to be able to weld or have someone make you an aluminum box with a vacuum nipple attached. Buy a second map sensor (they're like $20 for a plain one) put that in the manifold where the tmap sensor is and mount the tmap in the box. Connect box to the SC manifold in the back (either T the vacuum port that goes to the bypass valve or change the source of the bypass valve to the brake booster line and just run the manifold nipple right to the aluminum box). More involved but even better is to get a second tmap sensor, split the wiring harness so that the temperature comes from the sensor in the manifold and the pressure comes from the box.

The point is to get the pressure reading out of the intake runner - since it is a pipe with moving air and a periodic plug on one end (the intake valves) a resonance condition gets set up in the runner above 4k rpm. The tmap sees this and the ECU tries to adjust fueling *for all four cylinders* based on this. That wobble in pressure might be real for that cylinder but 1) the fueling response will have a phase delay and 2) the phase of the resonance in all the other cylinders will surely be wrong.

I can say this mod make the car feel a LOT better and when I shared this with Zach he sent me a new tune to take advantage of it and it then got even smoother.
I am definitely interested in getting this to work eventually. But I think the first step will be to install my kit in the "default" config. Then, I hope to see if I can find a diagram to better understand everything you are saying. It makes sense, from what you said. but a picture / diagram would probably really help to see how everything is hooked up, being as how I haven't installed or even looked at the physical parts yet.

In preparation for the install, had a few questions:
1. Can I run till my next oil change interval with my existing 0w20 synthetic oil or should I upgrade, and what weight is recommended for this kit? The only other power mod I have is a catback.
2. Does Edelbrock ship (with the kit) the tool used to disconnect the fuel lines, or do I need to go find one of those tools? If so, any recommendations?
3. Are there any other odd/non-standard tools needed for install that I should look into acquiring ahead of time?

I'm definitely nervous to do the install myself, but that is one of the reasons why I am doing it myself - I want to get more experience, build my confidence, and learn. I've done almost all the work to my cars in the past - but mostly suspension (sway bars, coilovers, control arms, strut bars etc) and exhaust (downpipe/catback on my old WRX, and catback on the BRZ). Never something as elaborate as this. Am hoping it goes smoothly...

I want to thank you all in advance because I am sure I'll be asking a lot of questions...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BR-ZED For This Useful Post:
Calum (05-28-2020), GPhilly (01-14-2022)