follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Marketplace > User/Vendor/Sponsor Reviews, Feedback, Comments

User Tag List

Old 05-11-2014, 10:05 PM   #1
rb6freak

Drives: 23 BRZ
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
31 Days and Counting - My Unappetising Delicious Tuning Review

The main purpose of my review is to inform others of Delicious Tuning custom tuning services and reiterate what has already been said by Mr. Knose himself. I say custom tuning because my car does not lie in the relm of Bill's off the shelf tunes due to my odd ball 770cc port injectors. I wish I had caught this post below which was the day before my tuning appointment. If I did, I would have postponed going to Bill for a custom tune. You might be asking, why does my title say 31 days and counting? Well hang tight, I'll get into that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousTuning View Post
Elliot,

Thank you for your patience along with everyone else. Yes, my customer service has gone to poo, I completely admit it. You spend the time I do working as many projects, dyno tuning, race team tuning, design and development with multiple companies I work for and you will completely understand.

There is more going on right now then meets the eye with business and life in general and it is very hard to keep a balance between it all. I have issued you a full refund on your custom tune and wish you the best with your build. Moto-East is a good company, with good tunes and will take care of your appropriately.

I am in the process of finalizing my move and expect to be up and running next week. Once again I do apologize for my delays, but I can not keep working 12 hours days 7 days a week, it just doesn't work for me. So rescheduling of priorities is in motion but it will be a little while before it is all sorted and running smoothly again.

Regards,
William Knose
Delicious Tuning

Bill is an excellent tuner there is no doubt about that. He's a very nice and honest guy. One of the shops he tunes at, Infamous Performance, is definitely a great shop too. Mike @ Infamous is a solid guy who will keep his shop open late for custom tuning. Anyways, onto my short story and review.

Ideally, we all need a custom dyno tune as no two cars are the same. I had been talking with another PTuning owner who had a custom tune done by Bill. I heard nothing but great things about Delicious Tuning services and now that I heard the tune was working great on another PTuning setup I wanted to give it a go. So I booked time which was about a month or so before the appointment.

I show up early to my appointment, car is fully ready. My car never overheated on the dyno and didn't leak a single drop of fluid anywhere. The only thing I didn't have handy was my fuel injector specification sheet - but I got that within 15 minutes of Bill's request. All in all, I did my part and tried not to interrupt the tune. I did however check-in on Bill periodically during the tune and asked him if he needed anything, offered him caffeine, etc... It was a hot day, but I walked 2 miles to go get this guy some iced coffee during the tune. He didn't ask for it, I insisted. His skills are hard to come by, so I would expect any of you to treat him as such too ;-) To give you an example of how hard this guy works; he was in my car for about 10 hours that day and at one period he didn't get up for 6 straight hours working on dialing in the tune.

I'm not going to get into too many specifics, but a short while into the tune and I believe Bill was struggling to dial in my port injectors for start-up and DI change over. So at that point I believe he switched over to the new VE Speed Density format. At the end of the day Bill was able to get gobbs of power out of my car and safely dialed in timing and fuel that wouldn't blow my motor. But my tune still had problems. I wouldn't expect a custom tune to be perfect in one day. I had planned to be back to correct all of these things and I told this to Bill. Even if I had to pay a full price tune or dyno time, whatever it would take. The problems with my tune were - insanely rich pulls when starting from 3-4k range (10 AFR dipping down to 9), idle was high at 1050rpms, engine start-up required gradually pushing pedal down to get it to start, pulls from 3-4k rpm range the motor would "sputter" 2 or 3 times at initial WOT, as well as some other minor things.

Since the AFR issues were sketchy, I decided to take off the tune as soon as I got home and switch to my base map. My plan was to reload the tune on while in a safe environment to test and data log, then go back with a list of things that I would like to see corrected. The fact is, today, 31 days post-tune, I still have not received the ROM file. I had asked for a copy of the file on my dyno day, via voice mail and e-mail several times as well as via the Delicious Tuning ticketing system. I've even asked 2 people who were around Bill in person to request that he would send me the ROM file so I can log for the next visit.

I read Bill's posts here on the Forums and I've been keeping my space. I've been patient. But time has run out for me to continue with the path of tuning with Bill at this point and time for summer track schedule. My goal is to get my car fully ready for summer track time. Delicious Tuning can't offer that at this time for me. While I know it is not Bill's intention, I feel like I've been ripped off since I do not have a copy of my tune I paid for.

I have no doubt with the addition of Zach, Bill's move to Infamous and his launch of a wider usage custom tune that his business will be able to cater to a larger demand. I would definitely recommend one of his tunes to any other popular FI kit. It's just unfortunate that I fell into that bucket of false hope for a custom tune during this transitional phase.

@DeliciousTuning

@Infamous Performance

@sales@delicioustuning.com

Last edited by rb6freak; 05-12-2014 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Corrected typo.
rb6freak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rb6freak For This Useful Post:
DeliciousTuning (05-13-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 07:53 AM   #2
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Very good unbiased review.

This is good constructive feedback I'm sure Bill likes to know. Hopefully he can get everything back in order soon (if not already) and can make his CS as good as his tunes.

Good luck OP and Bill.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
DeliciousTuning (05-13-2014), suaveflooder (05-13-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 10:50 AM   #3
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
My only real advice would be to anyone else getting a tune in person. Make sure you bring a flash drive or something to get a copy of the ROM file you are running before you leave the tuning session. I hope you get a refund and have better luck with your next tuner.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:34 AM   #4
draggin_az
Small penis big dreams

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
sub'd
370hp on E-85
draggin_az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:37 AM   #5
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Drives: Edelbrock Equipped - Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,682 Times in 581 Posts
Mentioned: 403 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb6freak View Post
The main purpose of my review is to inform others of Delicious Tuning custom tuning services and reiterate what has already been said by Mr. Knose himself. I say custom tuning because my car does not lie in the relm of Bill's off the shelf tunes due to my odd ball 770cc port injectors. I wish I had caught this post below which was the day before my tuning appointment. If I did, I would have postponed going to Bill for a custom tune. You might be asking, why does my title say 31 days and counting? Well hang tight, I'll get into that.

Bill is an excellent tuner there is no doubt about that. He's a very nice and honest guy. One of the shops he tunes at, Infamous Performance, is definitely a great shop too. Mike @ Infamous is a solid guy who will keep his shop open late for custom tuning. Anyways, onto my short story and review.

Ideally, we all need a custom dyno tune as no two cars are the same. I had been talking with another PTuning owner who had a custom tune done by Bill. I heard nothing but great things about Delicious Tuning services and now that I heard the tune was working great on another PTuning setup I wanted to give it a go. So I booked time which was about a month or so before the appointment.

I show up early to my appointment, car is fully ready. My car never overheated on the dyno and didn't leak a single drop of fluid anywhere. The only thing I didn't have handy was my fuel injector specification sheet - but I got that within 15 minutes of Bill's request. All in all, I did my part and tried not to interrupt the tune. I did however check-in on Bill periodically during the tune and asked him if he needed anything, offered him caffeine, etc... It was a hot day, but I walked 2 miles to go get this guy some iced coffee during the tune. He didn't ask for it, I insisted. His skills are hard to come by, so I would expect any of you to treat him as such too ;-) To give you an example of how hard this guy works; he was in my car for about 10 hours that day and at one period he didn't get up for 6 straight hours working on dialing in the tune.

I'm not going to get into too many specifics, but a short while into the tune and I believe Bill was struggling to dial in my port injectors for start-up and DI change over. So at that point I believe he switched over to the new VE Speed Density format. At the end of the day Bill was able to get gobbs of power out of my car and safely dialed in timing and fuel that wouldn't blow my motor. But my tune still had problems. I wouldn't expect a custom tune to be perfect in one day. I had planned to be back to correct all of these things and I told this to Bill. Even if I had to pay a full price tune or dyno time, whatever it would take. The problems with my tune were - insanely rich pulls when starting from 3-4k range (10 AFR dipping down to 9), idle was high at 1050rpms, engine start-up required gradually pushing pedal down to get it to start, pulls from 3-4k rpm range the motor would "sputter" 2 or 3 times at initial WOT, as well as some other minor things.

Since the AFR issues were sketchy, I decided to take off the tune as soon as I got home and switch to my base map. My plan was to reload the tune on while in a safe environment to test and data log, then go back with a list of things that I would like to see corrected. The fact is, today, 31 days post-tune, I still have not received the ROM file. I had asked for a copy of the file on my dyno day, via voice mail and e-mail several times as well as via the Delicious Tuning ticketing system. I've even asked 2 people who were around Bill in person to request that he would send me the ROM file so I can log for the next visit.

I read Bill's posts here on the Forums and I've been keeping my space. I've been patient. But time has run out for me to continue with the path of tuning with Bill at this point and time for summer track schedule. My goal is to get my car fully ready for summer track time. Delicious Tuning can't offer that at this time for me. While I know it is not Bill's intention, I feel like I've been ripped off since I do not have a copy of my tune I paid for.

I have no doubt with the addition of Zach, Bill's move to Infamous and his launch of a wider usage custom tune that his business will be able to cater to a larger demand. I would definitely recommend one of his tunes to any other popular FI kit. It's just unfortunate that I fell into that bucket of false hope for a custom tune during this transitional phase.

@DeliciousTuning

@Infamous Performance

@sales@delicioustuning.com
Hi,

Wow, I completely overlooked this and I do apologize. Yes it has been tough keeping up with customers, even after getting assistance and sorry it has literally been 31 days since we last checked the tune. Well it happens and it not good for anyone involved. I do not have your email handy and if you could email me as soon as possible I will get your map over to you.

I know you are potentially on the fence at this point, but I would like to opportunity to resolve our lack of response, and sorry it had to come to the forums to get a response. Please let me know how you would like for us to move forward as I would like to resolve our faults and get your vehicle back to a running state and resolve the smaller problems on the current tune.

Please call me at my work number at your earliest convenience or email, I will be checking emails for a little longer tonight.

Regards,
William Knose
Delicious Tuning
DeliciousTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeliciousTuning For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (05-13-2014), Sportsguy83 (05-13-2014)
Old 05-13-2014, 01:05 AM   #6
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Drives: Edelbrock Equipped - Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,682 Times in 581 Posts
Mentioned: 403 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
rb6freak,

I started digging into what happened and as I am looking through some older emails and noticed I sent you an email on April 24th about submitting in a support ticket, but I saw no support ticket. As I looked deeper and found it lost in our system. Yeah, that was not good...

Anyway I just emailed you your current file we tuned on the dyno. I have also sent you another tune that is off another turbo vehicle with the exact same injectors we tuned last week. This resolves a LOT of the problems you were having and should be more of what you are looking for.

I understand you may not want to use them and move to another tuner and completely understand. Give us a call at your earliest convenience.

Sincerely,
William Knose
Delicious Tuning
DeliciousTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DeliciousTuning For This Useful Post:
acro (05-13-2014), CSG Mike (05-13-2014), midnight23 (05-13-2014), rb6freak (05-13-2014), sklimo (05-13-2014), Sportsguy83 (05-13-2014), suaveflooder (05-13-2014)
Old 05-13-2014, 01:53 PM   #7
rb6freak

Drives: 23 BRZ
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thumbs up

Bill, thank you. I appreciate the apology, the email, phone call, updated tune and other things you've personally mentioned. I'm sorry I had to call you out on the forums just to get your attention. All is well now that you're here :-)

I did a quick test on the updated tune. The tune did correct several issues such as idle, startup and daily drivability. The AFR values were still a little on the wild side and the sputtering is there - but that's okay I'd expect some issues early on. I can say now I'm a happier customer of yours than I was 2 days ago.

For now though, I'm currently invested in another tuner and I'm closer to where I need to be tune-wise. I won't double dip into the tuner pot with two tuners at the same time. Hopefully we will work again in the future and continue where we left off.

Thanks again!