follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

View Poll Results: Turbocharger or Supercharger?
Turbo 19 30.65%
Super 43 69.35%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 03-13-2021, 03:11 PM   #71
Jaden
Road-hole

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
actually no...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
For 99.8% of people would never do a DIY FI kit. For .19% of people a diy turbo kit would be way easier and cheaper than a SC kit. In his unique specific case that applies to almost no one but him a DIY SC I guess can be done cheaper and possibly easier.

Think he was more bragging than giving an actual solution for anyone to consider following.

Like you basically said, piecing a turbo kit together off ebay, or with some minor beginner fab work can be done fairly easily and cheaply at least compared to a make shift sc kit. Proper pulley alignment alone could be challenging not throwing belts all the time.
I would strongly suggest that anyone wanting to get into force induction, to research, practice simple fabrication, welding, minimal upgrades, and then DIY. You'll understand the car better and become a better more knowledgeable person because of it.

So, yes, I was bragging a little, but it most assuredly is meant for people to do the same, whether it be S/C or turbo.

Jaden

p.s. me personally, if it was going to cost ten grand to get 300 whp, I'd skip it.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 05:07 PM   #72
JSIdriver51

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by series420 View Post
as the title says, turbo or super charge? and why?

thanks all
I would say this depends on your goals overall. I voted supercharger (specifically a Sprintex kit if possible) because it met my immediate needs. It has instant tq and best of all, it has the amazing whine (I'm all about the theatricality). I use it for daily, autocross, canyons (have yet to get time off for track); compared to my wife's FBO WRX on 91, I can take her (245s have trouble sticking in 1st from a dig, but otherwise rolls are good)

In retrospect though, I should have just gone with the 335 kit and a bigger pulley to ensure I had room to grow (starts at 300/300ish e85/90mm pulley and IC) vice going with the 210 kit and a smaller pulley (tops out at 300/260ish with e85/69mm pulley and IC).

Additionally, heat soak is a big consideration so an IC and e85 is required for either kit. I added a ceramic coating to my header (Gruppe-S UEL), Verus vents, oil cooler, and heat tape for the intake pipe and experience much lower IAT temps than before (I stay at ambient/slightly lower versus ambient plus 10-20, and oil temps are max at 220 vice 245).

P.S. I identify as a muscle car
JSIdriver51 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JSIdriver51 For This Useful Post:
series420 (03-14-2021)
Old 03-13-2021, 05:57 PM   #73
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
I would strongly suggest that anyone wanting to get into force induction, to research, practice simple fabrication, welding, minimal upgrades, and then DIY. You'll understand the car better and become a better more knowledgeable person because of it.

So, yes, I was bragging a little, but it most assuredly is meant for people to do the same, whether it be S/C or turbo.

Jaden

p.s. me personally, if it was going to cost ten grand to get 300 whp, I'd skip it.
Aww, but is it CARB legal?
Old 03-15-2021, 04:00 PM   #74
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,174 Times in 6,833 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
And it wasn't humble bragging, it was straight up bragging...lol. I'll be posting a build thread before too long. I'm in solidworks as we speak working on some components for it.

As to answering your question, the biggest cost difference would be the oiling for the turbo and the exhaust manifold and routing, which aren't necessary for a S/C.

I could fab the exhaust using the catless header I already have or even the stock header but it's still additional cost. Even for someone with my resources, it would still be closer to $1000 for a turbo setup.

Actually, I had already started to build a remote mount turbo when I still lived in Commufornia but I didn't want an electric oil pump so I was fabbing my own adapter for the wrx's oil return pump(the kit used on the existing turbo kit for our cars was over 500). I had gone a different route and was building a 4.6 ford to swap in and had taken the turbo out of the stock frs muffler and put it in my VR6 jetta but after realizing how cheap and easy it would be to add a S/C I detoured from the swap for the time being.

Now I should be only about a week from being finished. I just finished porting the S/C housing and am waiting for some aluminum to come in for mounting.

Now it helps that I had a spare engine and spare intake to modify for the supercharger so I saved money. I'll get into the details in the build thread. I think I'm going to take out the injectors and put them in my flow bench tomorrow since they've been sitting because my plan is to just use the intake as it was sitting with the fuel rails and injectors already in. That makes swapping back and forth like a 2 hour endeavor if I would want to do so.

I may take some pictures tomorrow to show some progress although my intention was to create the build thread after it was all said and done.

Jaden
Do you think this setup can survive 2 laps at the track?
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 06:07 PM   #75
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Old 03-15-2021, 07:47 PM   #76
Jaden
Road-hole

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Won't be able to answer that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Do you think this setup can survive 2 laps at the track?
We'll have to see once I get it done and do some street pulls. I would expect it to be able to, but it's really going to depend how efficient my intercooler setup is as to whether it will heat soak too quickly or not; however, I don't know that I'm intending on really taking it to the track. Atleast, not the kind of track that you're thinking of.

This is a precursor to the project I'm really working on, which; unfortunately, I can't discuss at the moment.

Jaden
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 08:34 PM   #77
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
I did full turbo with flex fuel for 1$ actually.

Bought it all from irace86 actually.

So sorry you’re setup was 500x overpriced, next time shop around more.

Ok now go out and buy new good quality parts and report back. I am not saying what you did can not be done when you find someone that is that willing to take a loss on what they purchased. But that is not the norm.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 10:52 PM   #78
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post

Ok now go out and buy new good quality parts and report back. I am not saying what you did can not be done when you find someone that is that willing to take a loss on what they purchased. But that is not the norm.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 10:15 AM   #79
chojuan30

Drives: 2015 frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
custom SC

Quote:
And it wasn't humble bragging, it was straight up bragging...lol. I'll be posting a build thread before too long. I'm in solidworks as we speak working on some components for it.

As to answering your question, the biggest cost difference would be the oiling for the turbo and the exhaust manifold and routing, which aren't necessary for a S/C.

I could fab the exhaust using the catless header I already have or even the stock header but it's still additional cost. Even for someone with my resources, it would still be closer to $1000 for a turbo setup.

Actually, I had already started to build a remote mount turbo when I still lived in Commufornia but I didn't want an electric oil pump so I was fabbing my own adapter for the wrx's oil return pump(the kit used on the existing turbo kit for our cars was over 500). I had gone a different route and was building a 4.6 ford to swap in and had taken the turbo out of the stock frs muffler and put it in my VR6 jetta but after realizing how cheap and easy it would be to add a S/C I detoured from the swap for the time being.

Now I should be only about a week from being finished. I just finished porting the S/C housing and am waiting for some aluminum to come in for mounting.

Now it helps that I had a spare engine and spare intake to modify for the supercharger so I saved money. I'll get into the details in the build thread. I think I'm going to take out the injectors and put them in my flow bench tomorrow since they've been sitting because my plan is to just use the intake as it was sitting with the fuel rails and injectors already in. That makes swapping back and forth like a 2 hour endeavor if I would want to do so.

I may take some pictures tomorrow to show some progress although my intention was to create the build thread after it was all said and done.

Jaden
Interested in this, as I am working on a custom SC setup.
chojuan30 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chojuan30 For This Useful Post:
Jaden (03-16-2021)