follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

View Poll Results: How would you rate the design of the 2nd gen 86? 1 lowest & 5 highest
1 10 3.86%
2 17 6.56%
3 49 18.92%
4 113 43.63%
5 70 27.03%
Voters: 259. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 04-07-2021, 03:08 AM   #183
PulsarBeeerz

Drives: JRSC BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawkdown View Post
GR Supra is beautiful. I bet they will rise in value once 2025 hits and Toyota stops making them again.
That is an extremely bold claim my friend.
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 03:19 AM   #184
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,802 Times in 3,297 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
The comparison you made to 8th-gen K20 vs 9th gen K24 Civic Si bears no relation to FA20 vs. FA24. In the end, power/weight is somewhat improved and "area under the curve" is *vastly* improved with the new 2.4. Whatever the gearing or tires, it's not 197hp 8300rpm K20 vs. 201hp 7200rpm K24 here, this is going to be a legitimately better-performing engine that doesn't short-change us on revs.

That said, if 0-60 really is 1 full second quicker, it's gotta be because there's no 2-3 shift required and nothing to do with PS4 tires vs. Primacies (I mean, it's not like the FA20 is a tire-roasting torque-monster).

I can see how people would miss the K20 after the K24 Si came out, and also the F20C after the F22C S2000 came out. But nobody's gonna miss the FA20 when the FA24 comes out...
You can spin the tires in cars with less power. Tires make a big difference about putting all the power or the most power to the ground, which is the most important in a 0-60.

The Civic still added 35tq with the K24, even if the torque tapered off so horsepower wasn’t much different.

Do you have an example of another case of another car adding similar power and displacement and making the same gains in speed that wasn’t linked to the addition of such a tire upgrade? I was looking at old Cayman times or old 911s or old Mustang 4.0 V6 vs 4.6 V8 times or even economy cars comparing hp or displacement or both. Do you have an example? Seems like it is the tires or perhaps one less shift, but not some blistering new acceleration from the 30 more horsepower. I wouldn’t expect big thrills.
Old 04-07-2021, 03:20 AM   #185
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,802 Times in 3,297 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PulsarBeeerz View Post
Critically the k24 made 170lb/ft vs K20 139lb/ft of torque. As this is what actually moves the car, figured it was worth mentioning.lol The only thing people miss about the k20 anymore is its head on a k24 hybrid. haha
Like this...

PulsarBeeerz (04-07-2021)
Old 04-07-2021, 07:25 AM   #186
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,882 Times in 2,026 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
You can spin the tires in cars with less power. Tires make a big difference about putting all the power or the most power to the ground, which is the most important in a 0-60.
Tires are not really holding this car back as far as 0-60 goes. And we already know what 215/40-18 Michelin PS4 tires do for BRZ acceleration vs. 215/45-17 Primacies:
2017 BRZ: 0-60 in 6.2 seconds and 1/4-mile in 14.8 at 95mph on Primacies.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...l-test-review/
2018 BRZ tS: 0-60 in 6.3 seconds and 1/4-mile in 14.9 at 94mph on PS4s
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-drive-review/

Quote:
Seems like it is the tires or perhaps one less shift
And it ain't the tires... Agree that the +23hp isn't nearly enough to account for 1 second quicker to 60, so if it really *is* 1 second quicker it's gotta be one less shift.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:47 AM   #187
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
Tires are not really holding this car back as far as 0-60 goes. And we already know what 215/40-18 Michelin PS4 tires do for BRZ acceleration vs. 215/45-17 Primacies:
2017 BRZ: 0-60 in 6.2 seconds and 1/4-mile in 14.8 at 95mph on Primacies.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...l-test-review/
2018 BRZ tS: 0-60 in 6.3 seconds and 1/4-mile in 14.9 at 94mph on PS4s
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-drive-review/

And it ain't the tires... Agree that the +23hp isn't nearly enough to account for 1 second quicker to 60, so if it really *is* 1 second quicker it's gotta be one less shift.
I suspect that Toyota marketing may be playing the age old bench racer game of using what numbers suit their case at that particular point in time. They have always pushed that the MT was someplace around 6.2 and ignored the 7.4 of the AT. Now all of a sudden the car is "faster" when it is 6.2 or does it go 5.2?
Irace86.2.0 (04-07-2021)
Old 04-07-2021, 08:08 AM   #188
Transport3r

Drives: -
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroRacer View Post
Wasn’t intended for anyone in particular. Simply speaking my mind. I felt that paying for a Hakone for the same price as a PP Brz wasn’t worth it to me PERSONALLY.

Every post about the new gen I’ve seen of yours you keep commenting “how bad it “looks” and you hate it.

The front fenders you “hate” are completely functional. The side skirts you “hate” are easily changed.

You sound like an ex GF who can’t except the fact that people have moved on.
The new car has a better motor with improved HP and Torque curve, and a 50% more rigid chassis.
You KNOW that this car will be a far better performer than your car, but simply because it doesn’t “look” good to you, you bash it.

Toyota/Subaru both should be applauded that they made this car at all in 2021-22, and especially with improvements in today’s SUV, EV market.

Hakone was only made for ONE year, the fact that you say just as many of them are being tracked/raced over the multiple years these cars were offered is nonsense. These are DRIVERS cars, yes more than 50% of them don’t track them, but they are built for DRIVERS.

My Girlfriend Christine has a 2019 PP BRZ and I absolutely love driving her car, but the new car is most definitely a step up. We get it, you always talk about how the reveal was “unexciting” blah blah. Only to people like you who prefer “looks” over performance.

I’m very proud of the improvements they made on the motor and chassis. There is no doubt this will be a better DRIVERS car.

Funny how you have the word Racecar in your sig, as you never RACE your car.

Again you don’t show any appreciation that a new gen even exists, especially when it’s going to be a much better performing car.
You knock “functional” vents and “looks” while ignoring the MANY improvements.

I love the Hakone green color, always have, I was simply stating for the same price the PP BRZ was more worth the same $ TO ME.

But again, as someone who doesn’t truly “drive” their car, you wouldn’t understand.

I love both generations of the twins immensely, but unlike yourself I truly welcome and appreciate the new car, and don’t knock the “looks” over the far better performance gains , or the fact they are making a 2nd Gen at all.

The fact these cars are coming out at all should be applauded, not knocked.
You may not “race” your car, but for those of us that do, we can appreciate the chassis/ motor improvements.

I agree.

That said, Tcoat’s racecar signature is a meme, I wouldn’t get too hung up about that.
Transport3r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Transport3r For This Useful Post:
RetroRacer (04-07-2021)
Old 04-07-2021, 08:41 AM   #189
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,010 Times in 337 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Define sleezy. Just don't take any if their bullshit and tell them who's boss.
LOL!! Define 'sleazy'? Let me count the ways...

Refusing to give a price quote by email. That one is easy, I just immediately forget about them and move on. Any car dealer that won't give a price quote by email these days is hopelessly out of touch, or hoping for a sucker.

Bait-and-switch pricing. This is the problem I've had most often, with both Nissan and Toyota dealers. I get a price quote by email (making painfully clear to them that it's to include all costs, fees, charges, etc., to be a bona fide 'out the door' firm price). I buy cash, no financing, no trade in, to keep things as simple as possible (and head off the inevitable 'we can't get that interest rate anymore' or 'our mechanic/appraiser found a problem with your trade' excuses). Then when I show up to actually buy the car, the price is different, with countless excuses -

'Oh, so sorry, we didn't realize that the car we quoted you on was already sold. This one has almost the same equipment, but we can't match that price'.

'That car sold this morning, we can locate a car for you, but the price will have to be higher'.

'The price we gave you included a special factory promotion that just expired'.

'That price was for a promotional car that's already been sold. The price on this in-stock car has to be higher'.

'We thought you qualified for the special discount, but you don't'.

'The manager just won't let the deal happen at that price, we have to get more'.

'Demand for the car is so high we just can't let it go for that price'.

'Every car we sell has a $995 processing fee, the law says we have to charge it'.

'My mistake, I forgot to include the cost for xxx, but we just can't move on it'.

Those games are also easy to deal with. I walk away. I give the dealer one opportunity to sell me the car at the price offered in writing, and if they won't do it, I leave. Period.

About half the time the salesperson will follow me out into the parking lot, with the usual 'how can we make this work', or 'I'm on your side, work with me and let's find a compromise' nonsense. It never works on me, and just adds some comedy and additional aggravation to the whole situation.

What pisses me off is the time wasted. My remaining time is limited. I don't find it entertaining to spend hours getting to and back from a dealership only to find out that they're playing games to try and squeeze more money out of me, in hopes that if I'm already there I'll cave and fork over a few hundred extra dollars.

For whatever reasons (perhaps in part due to corporate ethics training, or the lack of it), I've had the very worst experiences with Nissan dealers. I went to 6 Nissan dealers trying to find a 370Z, and was gamed by all of them. It was their sleaze that drove me to consider a BRZ in the first place (that, and my wife liked the BRZ a lot more than the 370Z). Toyota dealers have taken second place in the sleaze Olympics in my experiences.

I've had similar experiences with Nissan and Toyota dealers in three different parts of the country where we've lived (Pacific Northwest, Mid-Atlantic, and New England), so I suspect it must be related to corporate policies (or lack thereof) and is more than just an individual dealer.

In comparison, we've bought 3 Subaru's over the past 3 years (BRZ, Crosstrek, WRX), from 3 different dealers. All of those experiences were completely straightforward and forthright. They couldn't have been easier. In each case the dealer quoted me a great price by email, and each time we went in to actually buy the car took less than 20 minutes (the BRZ literally took 10 minutes from the time I walked in to when I drove out). The only hint of anything potentially unsavory was actually funny. Buying the WRX, the salesperson actually said, 'You told me you're not interested in any extended warranty or aftermarket protection packages, so we should probably just skip that?' and we both laughed about it.

I don't know for a fact, and the number of my own personal experiences is not 'statistically significant', but I suspect it's not a coincidence that (over the past 3 years) 3 Subaru dealers all gave candid, honest deals and no games selling experiences, whereas 6 Nissan dealers and 4 Toyota dealers all tried to play slimy games with me.

At this point in my life, the dealer experience is a deciding factor. When I was younger, it was all about the product. If I wanted a particular car, I was willing to endure whatever it took to get it. Not anymore. The dealer experience swayed me from a 370Z to the twins, and from Toyota to Subaru.

YMMV.
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AnalogMan For This Useful Post:
Bowflex (04-08-2021), JusTheG (04-07-2021), Spuds (04-07-2021), timurrrr (04-07-2021)
Old 04-07-2021, 08:45 AM   #190
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,882 Times in 2,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I suspect that Toyota marketing may be playing the age old bench racer game of using what numbers suit their case at that particular point in time. They have always pushed that the MT was someplace around 6.2 and ignored the 7.4 of the AT. Now all of a sudden the car is "faster" when it is 6.2 or does it go 5.2?
That makes some sense. Even with +23-27hp and no 2-3 shift required, a full second is a LOT. Maybe they "fixed" the lazy acceleration of the AT version...
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 08:50 AM   #191
Blighty

Drives: WR Blue Pearl 2022 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
GR Supra is beautiful. I bet they will rise in value once 2025 hits and Toyota stops making them again.
What is its claim to fame?

I'm with you, I also like the body - though I despise that there is no manual.

And in a future where no manuals exist (electric), does not having a manual hurt its resale for collectors?
Blighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 08:53 AM   #192
Tanstin

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroRacer View Post
Wasn’t intended for anyone in particular. Simply speaking my mind. I felt that paying for a Hakone for the same price as a PP Brz wasn’t worth it to me PERSONALLY.

Every post about the new gen I’ve seen of yours you keep commenting “how bad it “looks” and you hate it.

The front fenders you “hate” are completely functional. The side skirts you “hate” are easily changed.

You sound like an ex GF who can’t except the fact that people have moved on.
The new car has a better motor with improved HP and Torque curve, and a 50% more rigid chassis.
You KNOW that this car will be a far better performer than your car, but simply because it doesn’t “look” good to you, you bash it.

Toyota/Subaru both should be applauded that they made this car at all in 2021-22, and especially with improvements in today’s SUV, EV market.

Hakone was only made for ONE year, the fact that you say just as many of them are being tracked/raced over the multiple years these cars were offered is nonsense. These are DRIVERS cars, yes more than 50% of them don’t track them, but they are built for DRIVERS.

My Girlfriend Christine has a 2019 PP BRZ and I absolutely love driving her car, but the new car is most definitely a step up. We get it, you always talk about how the reveal was “unexciting” blah blah. Only to people like you who prefer “looks” over performance.

I’m very proud of the improvements they made on the motor and chassis. There is no doubt this will be a better DRIVERS car.

Funny how you have the word Racecar in your sig, as you never RACE your car.

Again you don’t show any appreciation that a new gen even exists, especially when it’s going to be a much better performing car.
You knock “functional” vents and “looks” while ignoring the MANY improvements.

I love the Hakone green color, always have, I was simply stating for the same price the PP BRZ was more worth the same $ TO ME.

But again, as someone who doesn’t truly “drive” their car, you wouldn’t understand.

I love both generations of the twins immensely, but unlike yourself I truly welcome and appreciate the new car, and don’t knock the “looks” over the far better performance gains , or the fact they are making a 2nd Gen at all.

The fact these cars are coming out at all should be applauded, not knocked.
You may not “race” your car, but for those of us that do, we can appreciate the chassis/ motor improvements.
I 100% Agree with you.

The GR86 is objectively a better car and people deserve to be hyped for it. On another note, even before the gr86 details were released, having a crusade against people speculating about whether it would be turboed, ev, etc was just tiring to see. Just because you say you're doing it to combat "misinformation" doesnt change the fact that almost all of your posts seem to be against this car.
Speculation is a part of car culture and is what generates excitement and interest. Not to say criticism isn't allowed, but when all your posts are negative, you have to ask yourself if you truly are unbiased. And if you don't enjoy the car...well maybe don't go on this ubforum dedicated to it

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Tanstin; 04-07-2021 at 09:03 AM.
Tanstin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tanstin For This Useful Post:
RetroRacer (04-07-2021)
Old 04-07-2021, 08:55 AM   #193
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,400 Times in 6,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMan View Post
LOL!! Define 'sleazy'? Let me count the ways...
Lol sorry didn't intend to make you write the book. I suppose if saving time is a priority then that could be annoying.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (04-07-2021), timurrrr (04-07-2021)
Old 04-07-2021, 09:06 AM   #194
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,010 Times in 337 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Lol sorry didn't intend to make you write the book. I suppose if saving time is a priority then that could be annoying.

Dealer sleaze is a soapbox topic I can get worked up about! Venting about it can be cathartic.

Time is the most precious thing of all. It's the only thing you can never get more of. That makes it more important than money.

Time becomes even more important as you have less of it left.
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AnalogMan For This Useful Post:
Spuds (04-07-2021), Transport3r (04-07-2021)
Old 04-07-2021, 11:06 AM   #195
nextcar
Guilt free parts vulture!

Drives: 2013 FR-S - Asphalt 6MT
Thanked 1,755 Times in 928 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The odds are SEVERELY against ANY mass produced car becoming a valuable collectors car and appreciating in value. When it does happen, it is almost always some VERY limited subset such as a unique and desirable option set, not a standard model.

Basically: cars are a TERRIBLE investment unless you have a ton of money to buy the truly rare ones.

I have owned and restored several classic cars - it is a passion/hobby and a lot of fun, but it is definitely cash flow negative.
nextcar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nextcar For This Useful Post:
HachiRokuX (04-08-2021), joro2 (04-07-2021), PulsarBeeerz (04-08-2021), RetroRacer (04-07-2021), soundman98 (04-07-2021)
Old 04-07-2021, 01:45 PM   #196
PulsarBeeerz

Drives: JRSC BRZ
They also are said to of made some suspension geometry changes. Lack of power wasn't the only reason it was slow off the line. All the factory anti-squat of the previous models makes getting off the line efficiently challenging. There's also the 30+lb/ft of TQ that keeps getting left out the conversation for some reason...
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote