follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 02-03-2021, 01:40 PM   #85
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PulsarBeeerz View Post
There is also option C. for crazy people like me who are interested in engine swaps that aren't LS or 2JZ based. I would wager the vast majority of engine swaps never even make it to the track. I'm interested because I think it would be a fun interesting project and a satisfying learning experience. Also $3000 for another FA20 is probably only a 1/3 of what this swap will cost all said and done with much less effort. lol
I honestly would be really happy with NA 240WHP, I don't need a 400HP V8 or want to deal with an FI'd FA20. That is what has been so appealing with the K series to me. At this point I am pretty much married to the FA for a while so I am just observing from the outside now.

I don't think it will be too bad cost wise, it really depends on what the Haltech elite 1500 cost, which from most of what I have seen is around 1500. I think I remember seeing the Pure setup with motec was around 17K, but just the ECU was 6k of that price and that was with the S2K transmission and FBO. It is going to come down to what the premium KPower is going to charge for their harness and R&D for the can integration to get the haltech to work. Parts wise it doesn't look that pricey.
Irace86.2.0 (02-04-2021), Wally86 (02-04-2021), WolfpackS2k (02-12-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 01:24 AM   #86
PulsarBeeerz

Drives: JRSC BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I honestly would be really happy with NA 240WHP, I don't need a 400HP V8 or want to deal with an FI'd FA20. That is what has been so appealing with the K series to me. At this point I am pretty much married to the FA for a while so I am just observing from the outside now.

I don't think it will be too bad cost wise, it really depends on what the Haltech elite 1500 cost, which from most of what I have seen is around 1500. I think I remember seeing the Pure setup with motec was around 17K, but just the ECU was 6k of that price and that was with the S2K transmission and FBO. It is going to come down to what the premium KPower is going to charge for their harness and R&D for the can integration to get the haltech to work. Parts wise it doesn't look that pricey.

I think it will be easily attainable. They got 229/192 out of a stock k24A2 with an OEM 50* cam gear and K20 oil pump. I would think some drop in cams would get past 240whp convincingly.
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 01:33 AM   #87
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,802 Times in 3,297 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
^^^ What NoHaveMSG said.

Quote:
Ok?
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...&postcount=316

Pick through the list and add and subtract. Want a K20/K24 hybrid then expect some extras. Want cams or other mods to make the most of the build then add more. Want to add FI at the same time then add more.

It’ll be interesting to see how much they are able to undercut Pure’s swap with this different setup. I’m especially interested what high horsepower transmission they plan to use.
Old 02-04-2021, 01:55 AM   #88
PulsarBeeerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
^^^ What NoHaveMSG said.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...&postcount=316

Pick through the list and add and subtract. Want a K20/K24 hybrid then expect some extras. Want cams or other mods to make the most of the build then add more. Want to add FI at the same time then add more.

It’ll be interesting to see how much they are able to undercut Pure’s swap with this different setup. I’m especially interested what high horsepower transmission they plan to use.

Buddy so we are clear, I am very aware of what the potential costs are to complete this swap. I wouldn't have made a topic on it without already doing the research. My planned head is $3500 alone between CNC porting, cams, and valve-train upgrades...
Old 02-04-2021, 02:01 AM   #89
Jdmjunkie

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Buddy so we are clear, I am very aware of what the potential costs are to complete this swap. I wouldn't have made a topic on it without already doing the research. My planned head is $3500 alone between CNC porting, cams, and valve-train upgrades...
4pistons head?
Jdmjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 02:05 AM   #90
PulsarBeeerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdmjunkie View Post
4pistons head?
Yessir!
Old 02-04-2021, 04:44 AM   #91
Tomm
Identifying as a Member

Drives: 2013 FRS LS1
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Sub'd because K series motors are my jam and this kit has opened up a can of worms in my head. Also because I couldn't find this on their website. Any guesses on the price tag of the kit? $4500-$5000ish?
ACT Clutches - APEXi - Buddy Club - Carbing - DBA - Diode Dynamics - Fidanza - HKS - ICT Performance - Project Kics - RPM Transmissions - SEIBON - Sikky Manufacturing - SPC - Tick Performance - TK Style - VERUS - VOLK - Whiteline
Tomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:23 AM   #92
Joveen

Drives: Bone stock
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm View Post
Sub'd because K series motors are my jam and this kit has opened up a can of worms in my head. Also because I couldn't find this on their website. Any guesses on the price tag of the kit? $4500-$5000ish?
No price as of yet but it will be cheaper than most swaps going on.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Joveen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joveen For This Useful Post:
Tomm (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 08:18 AM   #93
Tomm
Identifying as a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joveen View Post
... cheaper than most swaps going on.
Agreed. Looks like a its got everything in it minus the engine and engine mgmt. I'm interested to see what their "shifter carrier" solution is. Also I wonder if Kpro is an option for the 86 platform.... Pretty stoked either way.
ACT Clutches - APEXi - Buddy Club - Carbing - DBA - Diode Dynamics - Fidanza - HKS - ICT Performance - Project Kics - RPM Transmissions - SEIBON - Sikky Manufacturing - SPC - Tick Performance - TK Style - VERUS - VOLK - Whiteline
Old 02-04-2021, 11:26 AM   #94
Irace86.2.0

Quote:

I don't see any ECU swapping products on Pure Auto's site, but I believe it use to be $6000 for the wiring harness, Motec M1, CANBUS translator, and maybe for a K24 basic/limp mode tune, but I'm not really sure about that part. Regardless, a custom tune was needed.

I think $4,500 for those parts using Haltech might be expected. I think a custom header, intake manifold, oil pan, engine mounts, transmission adapter, hydraulic TOB, etc. will be separate from their electronics package, so people can choose the products that fit the needs of their project.

From what I have read from others switching from Haltech to Motec, they basically mirrored what this guy is saying. Price really depends on the build, where for some builds, the price is similar, and you get more features/quality/etc with Motec. For NA builds, this might be cheaper. For FI, the Motec might offer more features along with the potential of the S2000 transmission for handling more power, so each swap provider might have a package that is best. I'm not entirely sure how these ECUs compare today versus the past.

NoHaveMSG (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 11:44 AM   #95
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Agreed. Looks like a its got everything in it minus the engine and engine mgmt. I'm interested to see what their "shifter carrier" solution is. Also I wonder if Kpro is an option for the 86 platform.... Pretty stoked either way.

This is for a T56, but they are usually an offset linkage that is in a 'L' shape. The key to making these things feel like the original is just using quality components, so there isn't odd torque because of the extended lever arm that causes twisting or bending. If done poorly, these can feel sloppy or less direct. If designed poorly then any slop or wiggle room just gets compounded.

I doubt this setup would be compatible with aftermarket shifters like the IRP short throw shifter, but we will see.

Old 02-04-2021, 01:05 PM   #96
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I don't see any ECU swapping products on Pure Auto's site, but I believe it use to be $6000 for the wiring harness, Motec M1, CANBUS translator, and maybe for a K24 basic/limp mode tune, but I'm not really sure about that part. Regardless, a custom tune was needed.

I think $4,500 for those parts using Haltech might be expected. I think a custom header, intake manifold, oil pan, engine mounts, transmission adapter, hydraulic TOB, etc. will be separate from their electronics package, so people can choose the products that fit the needs of their project.

From what I have read from others switching from Haltech to Motec, they basically mirrored what this guy is saying. Price really depends on the build, where for some builds, the price is similar, and you get more features/quality/etc with Motec. For NA builds, this might be cheaper. For FI, the Motec might offer more features along with the potential of the S2000 transmission for handling more power, so each swap provider might have a package that is best. I'm not entirely sure how these ECUs compare today versus the past.

I think 4500 is a reasonable guess for that engine management.

KPower does have adaptors for the BMW 5 and 6 speed transmissions. They are not sorted for our platform specifically so I don't know about fit, so it would take making your own mounts to get them to work. It is a pretty robust transmission. Looking at the TA build that DIY is doing, he used a 5 speed and has the engine set way back in the bay and he had to cut out one support in the tunnel.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...&postcount=288

I looked into the S2K transmission when I was following Pure's kit and it doesn't really seem like that much of an upgrade. With the AP1 transmissions there were a few TSB's on them. They had some syncro issues as well as popping out of 4th. The AP2's had better syncro's but some early ones would pop out of second. They seem to develop some shifting issues when tracked, just like our current transmission does. I picked up a lot of this off the S2K forums so take it with a grain of salt.
Irace86.2.0 (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 02:04 PM   #97
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I think 4500 is a reasonable guess for that engine management.

KPower does have adaptors for the BMW 5 and 6 speed transmissions. They are not sorted for our platform specifically so I don't know about fit, so it would take making your own mounts to get them to work. It is a pretty robust transmission. Looking at the TA build that DIY is doing, he used a 5 speed and has the engine set way back in the bay and he had to cut out one support in the tunnel.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...&postcount=288

I looked into the S2K transmission when I was following Pure's kit and it doesn't really seem like that much of an upgrade. With the AP1 transmissions there were a few TSB's on them. They had some syncro issues as well as popping out of 4th. The AP2's had better syncro's but some early ones would pop out of second. They seem to develop some shifting issues when tracked, just like our current transmission does. I picked up a lot of this off the S2K forums so take it with a grain of salt.
KPower says they have a transmission solution in the works for FI applications looking for power beyond this transmission. If I ever do this swap in the future then it would only be to run a turbo setup with a transmission that could support power in excess of 450whp. That’ll be after I finish nursing school and get into a house, so quite a while, unless my motor or transmission go, or I decide to move beyond this platform.

I’m at the crossroads of building the motor and doing a transmission swap for more power or live with what I have at 350ish whp. I would prefer a turbo for more control and drama, even though I have surprised myself with how much I am enjoying my first supercharger and the NA like powerband.

The S2000 trans is probably the closest transmission to our transmission, while shifting just slightly better and holding power a little higher, but obviously some of that is because the F20 revs so much higher so lesa proportional torque. But it wouldn’t be worth it for me to use that transmission like you said—too close. It might be easier to mate a K24 to a S2000 transmission though, which is why Pure did that.
NoHaveMSG (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 03:48 PM   #98
Tomm
Identifying as a Member

Quote:

I’m not one for taking the cheap way out but I can’t fathom dropping $6k on Motec. Especially when I can snag a k24a for $1500ish. I’m not looking to make crazy power, so the stock drivetrain with my current clutch setup would be more than capable. Also I’ve ripped apart a k20a2 (albeit 17 years ago) and dogged the crap out of it - it takes it and keeps going... Honestly, a nice set of cams in a k20 head on that k24 block with a quality tune and I’d be ecstatic. No need for FI for me.