follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-06-2017, 11:11 PM   #1
q335r49

Drives: 2013 scion fr-s
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Which Catch Can to use for Superchargers?

Installing a supercharger soon! From what I understand, with SC, the two openings of a unidirectional PCV system both become output valves, with the PCV being replaced by a one way check valve so air doesnt get in. It would seem that, by this reasoning, you'd need catch cans at both ends.

How many do you guys use? If one, which port is best to put the can in? SavageGeese uses only one (at the PCV valve end) but doesnt really give an explanation... it would seem that the always open exhaust end would be in need of it more?
q335r49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:31 AM   #2
Jo0

Drives: '17 CWP Limited w/ PP
Velox/verus AOS is what I have. Love it. It's a dual can in one setup and I have mine setup to drain back into my engine.

I have mine setup in NA with the stock pcv valve, I believe some people here have it setup in FI as well. Check the thread for the product
Jo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:06 AM   #3
Alltezza

Drives: WRB Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Radium PCV or dual
Alltezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 02:56 AM   #4
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,802 Times in 3,297 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
This ^^^
Irace86.2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 06:52 AM   #5
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by q335r49 View Post
Installing a supercharger soon! From what I understand, with SC, the two openings of a unidirectional PCV system both become output valves, with the PCV being replaced by a one way check valve so air doesnt get in. It would seem that, by this reasoning, you'd need catch cans at both ends.

How many do you guys use? If one, which port is best to put the can in? SavageGeese uses only one (at the PCV valve end) but doesnt really give an explanation... it would seem that the always open exhaust end would be in need of it more?
With the JRSC kit the stock PCV valve is left as it is on the engine block and a check-valve is installed on the intake end of the PCV hose. Both valves stop air flow in the same direction, so the check valve helps the stock PCV valve. Recently, I have replaced that plastic check valve with STI PCV valve since the plastic check valve was soaked with oil and leaking boost. I have installed the STI PCV valve on the hose instead of replacing the stock PCV valve. It now works in place of the check valve; it has the same functionality anyway. I just inserted the threaded end into the silicon hose and tightened with a clamp; no leaks. And to avoid oil blow back in the future, I have installed a Cusco oil catch can (965 009 A) on the PCV line.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:55 AM   #6
Jo0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
With the JRSC kit the stock PCV valve is left as it is on the engine block and a check-valve is installed on the intake end of the PCV hose. Both valves stop air flow in the same direction, so the check valve helps the stock PCV valve. Recently, I have replaced that plastic check valve with STI PCV valve since the plastic check valve was soaked with oil and leaking boost. I have installed the STI PCV valve on the hose instead of replacing the stock PCV valve. It now works in place of the check valve; it has the same functionality anyway. I just inserted the threaded end into the silicon hose and tightened with a clamp; no leaks. And to avoid oil blow back in the future, I have installed a Cusco oil catch can (965 009 A) on the PCV line.
So are you running the sti pcv along side the stock pcv, or just the sti pcv? Planning on running a JSRC in the future and didn't want to spend too much time rerouting my AOS hoses. From what it sounds like, JSRC keeps the stock vaccum routing but adds an extra check valve
Old 10-09-2017, 11:02 AM   #7
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo0 View Post
So are you running the sti pcv along side the stock pcv, or just the sti pcv? Planning on running a JSRC in the future and didn't want to spend too much time rerouting my AOS hoses. From what it sounds like, JSRC keeps the stock vaccum routing but adds an extra check valve
Yes JRSC keeps the stock PCV valve but adds an extra check valve. I am still using this same configuration. There is a catch can now between the check valve and PCV valve. And the leaking check valve is replaced with the STI valve on the intake manifold side blocking air going back into catch can. There is no use left for the stock PCV valve on the crankcase side of the catch can but it is still there.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:54 PM   #8
Jo0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
Yes JRSC keeps the stock PCV valve but adds an extra check valve. I am still using this same configuration. There is a catch can now between the check valve and PCV valve. And the leaking check valve is replaced with the STI valve on the intake manifold side blocking air going back into catch can. There is no use left for the stock PCV valve on the crankcase side of the catch can but it is still there.
Nice! I was worried about have to reroute my Velox AOS to the FI config, but if I just need to add an extra valve to the NA config it'll be easy peasy
Old 03-28-2019, 02:51 PM   #9
maicolp

Drives: toyota gt86 1st edition
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Someone willing to draw a diagram?
maicolp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 03:55 PM   #10
Setgo

Drives: '13 Subaru BRZ Crystal Black Silica
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I have the Verus AOS with my SC. I have a youtube video up. No edits, just running clip of me blabbering

Setgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 02:06 AM   #11
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
You require a "good" AOS

Plus you really want a return if possible.

Look at what is required IRT AOS, base your purchase on sound engineering, not a shiny brand name.

90% of catch cans are rubbish.
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:41 AM   #12
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Not shiny, no flashy name brand, not expensive, the difference is engineering, oh, and it actually works.

Servicing takes 1 minute.

https://www.autopartssupply.com.au/m...waAlFWEALw_wcB

You can drain back, or catch.

IMO it's the best functioning AOS in the market and punches well above it's price range.

Or you could buy something shiny with a brand name that doesn't work as well for more money.
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catch can, supercharger