follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 11-04-2016, 07:45 AM   #15
justinh77

Drives: pearl white scion frs 2014
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
And yes exhaust packages are as stated header back means ur getting everything after the headers, cat back ur getting everything after the cat, axel back u basically just getting exhaust tips
justinh77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justinh77 For This Useful Post:
Cosmo Kramer (11-04-2016)
Old 11-04-2016, 08:00 AM   #16
Cosmo Kramer

Drives: 2017 toyota 86 oceanic
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinh77 View Post
And yes exhaust packages are as stated header back means ur getting everything after the headers, cat back ur getting everything after the cat, axel back u basically just getting exhaust tips
ahh gotcha thanks im looking for the rumble sound but dont want too much drone as its a daily driver. and i dont want it to sound like stock as ive read that the Q300 kinda does.
Cosmo Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 08:26 AM   #17
tooslow4umayne

Drives: 2016 frs
Garage
i just ordered a tomei header and n1 catback. I haven't been able to put it up yet but over the weekend i will and ill upload a video for you.. The best thing to do tho is to see these cars in person ( a lot easier said than done i know) but the problem is if your going off youtube videos and other peoples opinions your never gonna get a good solid answer for how loud or how droney and exhaust is. To you perhaps it isn't going to be so loud (maybe your used to loud cars already) or perhaps you never had an exhaust before and doing a q300 with no header would sound insanely loud. try either seeing these cars in person or just go on youtube ( even though its hard like i said to get a good idea because its usually louder in person) this way youll get a ball park guess. Also you have to determine iffier going to run catless or catted. cat less is louder than catted.
tooslow4umayne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tooslow4umayne For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2016, 08:29 AM   #18
tooslow4umayne

Drives: 2016 frs
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer View Post
ahh gotcha thanks im looking for the rumble sound but dont want too much drone as its a daily driver. and i dont want it to sound like stock as ive read that the Q300 kinda does.
try to also be mindful of your states emissions and when u have inspection. cat less = no passing inspection and even a check engine light that youll have to buy a tune for to clear. Even with a high flow coat you may even get a CEL. the only way to clear those is with a tune.Unless it doesn't bother u that the cel is on
tooslow4umayne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tooslow4umayne For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2016, 09:07 AM   #19
Cosmo Kramer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow4umayne View Post
try to also be mindful of your states emissions and when u have inspection. cat less = no passing inspection and even a check engine light that youll have to buy a tune for to clear. Even with a high flow coat you may even get a CEL. the only way to clear those is with a tune.Unless it doesn't bother u that the cel is on
i live in south carolina and it says we dont require emission or smog tests so i guess i should be good there
Old 11-04-2016, 10:54 AM   #20
Daver

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
One Thing that I didn't realize when I put the parts on was that using the tune to get rid of your CEL could void your drive-train warranty if for some reason the dealer were to prove you had changed the ECM at some point, and that contributed to any failure. Google "Tune void warranty" and read up
Daver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daver For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2016, 11:16 AM   #21
Cosmo Kramer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
One Thing that I didn't realize when I put the parts on was that using the tune to get rid of your CEL could void your drive-train warranty if for some reason the dealer were to prove you had changed the ECM at some point, and that contributed to any failure. Google "Tune void warranty" and read up
oooo good to know becuase where i bought it from gives you a lifetime drive train warranty thanks
Old 11-04-2016, 02:25 PM   #22
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer View Post
so it comes with a mid pipe? sorry i feel embarrassed not knowing anything about cars. i just dont want to sound like a ricer
If an exhaust is axle-back, it bolts to stock midpipe.
If an exhaust is cat-back, it bolts to stock front pipe (where the donut gasket is)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinh77 View Post
axel back u basically just getting exhaust tips
Axle-back is not just exhaust tips. The rear muffler has a huge effect on sound.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:33 PM   #23
Dr. BRZ

Drives: 2013 WR Blue Pearl BRZ Limited 6MT.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlefeeder View Post
UEL FOR rumble and torque dip solution. EL if you're going FI down the line both would sound nice lol beware drone with the N1
@turtlefeeder is somewhat right. what he forgot to mention is UEL is good for low end power ( 3.5rpm below ) and EL is best for the most power to get out of the car (high end power above 4rpm).
Dr. BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. BRZ For This Useful Post:
Cosmo Kramer (11-07-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 07:20 AM   #24
Songha

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
It's finally gotten really cold in Rhode Island. Cold start with my UEL full catless setup + the N1 sounds like a helicopter. Tones down just fine when it idles though. I have a few videos in my build thread in my signature you can check out. Videos don't do justice though unless you have it connected to a surround sound or something. It's only become louder since install.
2013 Scion FR-S | 6-MT | Raven Black | Performance Mods: Invidia N1 Catback, Invidia Catless Frontpipe, BC Racing Extreme Lows Coilovers, 1320 Performance UEL Catless Headers, 1320 Performance Overpipe, OpenFlash Tablet (Stage 2 UEL, 93 Oct. tune), Whiteline Front Swaybar, Whitelight Adj. Front Endlinks | Asthetic Mods: DS Style Front Lip, Rocket Bunny style flares, F1R F21s | MY BUILD THREAD!
Songha is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Songha For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2016, 11:33 AM   #25
86geek

Drives: 2015 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
If you change out the stock header you will void the warranty. Best to check with your dealership before you decide. I was told by my dealership that stock exhaust is bolt on & okay to install after market cat back exhaust. But aftermarket headers will void the warranty.

IMHO get yourself a cat back exhaust and change out the header when your new car warranty expires in 3 yrs. Or if you don't care about the warranty then by all means go for a aftermarket header. I've only read good stuff about JDL and Gruppe headers. N1 will be LOUDER after adding a aftermarket header. Meet up with the local 86 club in your area and check out different exhausts. You'll be able to hear how loud they are or not. Just my 2 cents!

Opti-Coat & Cquartz Finest, Apexi Drop in Filter, 2.5 Perrin Res. Catback Exhaust
86geek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86geek For This Useful Post: