follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 08-10-2015, 11:32 PM   #29
Holyshiba

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigmaHyperion View Post
Tint ain't magic. It just reduces the overall heat/radiation entering the compartment at any given moment. But, given enough time, it'll still get pretty much just as hot as not having any tint at all. Your interior is still soaking up heat (just slower than before) and it's still radiating that heat back into the compartment -- and most of that energy is getting in through the lightly-protected windshield and being absorbed by the all-black and readily-radiating solid black dash.

For years and years I ran heavily-tinted vehicles while my wife didn't use any tint at all -- and this was in Texas where 110* wasn't uncommon. In the middle of the day, both the cars would be hotter than hell. Yeah, mine may have been a little bit "cooler", but we're talking maybe 10 degrees difference on an interior approaching 150*. Even the tint sellers don't claim more than a fairly little temperature difference. The interior of a car is un-frickin-believably hot. A few degrees -- hell, even if it was 20 degrees, doesn't make a big difference when it's nearly 150* inside the car. 130* feels just about as unbearably hot as 150* does.

Same goes for the color of a car too -- it makes a FAR smaller difference than people think. It's a degree or two at best. Most of the energy getting into your vehicle is getting in through the glass -- the color of your car means relatively diddily.

The VERY important thing tint provides as far as comfort goes is that it makes it MUCH easier to cool the interior from that hot state and to keep it cool while you're in it.
I agree with what you're saying. In your honest opinion, is it worth spending more for films with higher heat rejection or just going with the lowest tier of heat rejection for tint?
Holyshiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:48 PM   #30
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,258 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyshiba View Post
I agree with what you're saying. In your honest opinion, is it worth spending more for films with higher heat rejection or just going with the lowest tier of heat rejection for tint?
haha thread is 2yrs old.

It is better spending for higher heat reflection....because they usually higher in quality vs cheapo will turn brown or purple in 2 months tint or scratch easily. Darkness is up to your taste but I feel no difference in shades after 30%. Some people have like 15% or limo and they still get hot. Also, it is important you get the UV filter ones!

As someone replied, if you dont use a cover for the front when its parked, it semi removes the purpose.
Holyshiba (08-11-2015)
Old 08-11-2015, 12:40 AM   #31
Holyshiba

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packofcrows View Post
haha thread is 2yrs old.

It is better spending for higher heat reflection....because they usually higher in quality vs cheapo will turn brown or purple in 2 months tint or scratch easily. Darkness is up to your taste but I feel no difference in shades after 30%. Some people have like 15% or limo and they still get hot. Also, it is important you get the UV filter ones!

As someone replied, if you dont use a cover for the front when its parked, it semi removes the purpose.
Lol yeah. I hit that button

I have 5% now (previous owner, I like being able to discreetly change into gym shorts in the car) but I need 35% for an upcoming safety inspection. I do have a sun shade definitely helps but was just curious on tiers of tint quality.

Most the shops by me only have solar gard ultra performance or supreme. Just wondering if it was worth the extra 100$. Anyone have experience with either?
Holyshiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:55 AM   #32
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,258 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyshiba View Post
Lol yeah. I hit that button

I have 5% now (previous owner, I like being able to discreetly change into gym shorts in the car) but I need 35% for an upcoming safety inspection. I do have a sun shade definitely helps but was just curious on tiers of tint quality.

Most the shops by me only have solar gard ultra performance or supreme. Just wondering if it was worth the extra 100$. Anyone have experience with either?

According to the Solargard site, only the ultra:

Quote:
Blocks more than 99% of ultraviolet light
In my opinion that's what you need and should have. UV is a cause for skin cancer and such so in my book that is a +1 to decide on that trim.

The HP Supreme and NR Supreme aren't that different.