follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 12-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #15
onefitz

Drives: 13 GBS BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalc View Post
But what is JPM getting out of sticking you with a logo? Do they think that I'm going to buy it, and the next time I drive my car I'm going to see a big obnoxious JPM logo and think "Hey, I should go buy some more products from JPM!"? Do they think that a few years down the road, I'm going to think "Hey, I really like that alcantara dash piece, and I'd like to get more pieces that match, but I can't remember where I got it. Oh, I know, it must be from JPM?". Is there a microchip inside it that every time you look at it, I get paid the three cents or whatever the going rate is now for an ad view, and every time I press my finger on it, I get paid ten cents for an ad click?
It's advertising for them. Say you got to a car show/meet or your car is just sitting in a parking lot. Someone notices the interior and likes it, the JPM logo is there and they can google to get more info. Honestly don't see what the big deal is. I have no issue referring people to a company that has great customer service and quality especially if it's knocking off nearly 30% of the price..
onefitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to onefitz For This Useful Post:
2pt5RS (12-04-2013), Dadhawk (12-03-2013), humanshield (12-02-2013), JPM Coachworks (12-02-2013), MysteryMachine (12-02-2013)
Old 12-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #16
husker741
Banned

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FR-S 6MT
Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,415 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen View Post
Super tacky! You know what's classy? Red lug nuts and snap in fake vents with LEDs.

Already been beaten to death. You get a discount if you allow their logo. Don't want the logo? Don't order it. It's also the only piece that has their logo.
You do know that in stock form all these cars have "fake vents." The LED strip was just put in the middle of an OEM part.
husker741 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to husker741 For This Useful Post:
eddieEndo (12-02-2013)
Old 12-02-2013, 01:48 PM   #17
SigmaHyperion

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalc View Post
It's just ridiculous. It clearly costs JPM money to perform the embroidery, so somehow they're getting $65 + whatever the embroidery costs in expected profit just by having me see their logo every time I get in my car? In that case, I bet Subaru is making loads of money from putting their logo on my steering wheel!
If Subaru didn't think it was worthwhile for them to spend the money (and it does cost them versus nothing at all there) to put that logo on the steering wheel, then they wouldn't do it. All automakers put their logos on the steering wheel, so that every time you have a pleasant experience behind the wheel (which is what they're hoping for) that their logo will be constantly emblazoned into your memory of those positive experiences. Also, passengers (also hopefully impressed) will take note. And the logo is present in virtually every photo made of the interior of the car. It's a constant marketing presence for the automakers and I guarantee you that ever there came a time where you could order a car without one, the automaker would charge you extra to remove it -- and I would bet good money that it'd cost you more than $65 to do it, even if the automaker technically saved money not having to put the logo on there.

And I'm certain that an exhaust manufacturer would undoubtedly charge you extra for a setup without branded tips (if they do that normally), and if you wanted an unbranded rubber coupler for your CAI in lieu of the 'free' one that had Injen's logo on it, I'm sure they would charge you for that one too -- or just tell you tough luck, and go buy your own unbranded one.

JPM clearly sees the logo as advertising worth something. Which makes sense -- other peoples pictures online are the ONLY form of marketing that they have. Who doesn't put that stuff into their car without taking a picture and posting it online to show it off a bit? Cars with custom interiors have a much higher chance of being shown at a car show (even if just small, local ones). Now, even if you see the image without the accompanying text that may go along with it, you can see who provided the interior bits. Plus, people who do a mod like that tend to do many others, both related and not, and their logo will make their way into many of those pictures too. It's a lot of marketing potential for JPM -- hence why they value it so much. I'm sure the gross, if not the net, margin on these pieces is quite high, so it can be worth a fair bit of money even if one were to net just a handful of additional sales over the lifetime.

And if you don't like it on there -- you always have the option of paying full price and not taking the $65 "rebate" for "allowing" them to advertise inside of your car.

Note that I know that originally there was a surcharge for buying a version without the logo, rather than getting a 'rebate' for removing it -- but this is exactly the same thing. One just sounds better than the other. And, my personal feelings are that the logo isn't attractive within the car, and the additional cost to remove it is too high. But it is what it is and JPM has every right to charge whatever they feel is appropriate. A number like $65 is unusual enough to seem like there was some amount of thought that went into it.

Last edited by SigmaHyperion; 12-02-2013 at 02:01 PM.
SigmaHyperion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SigmaHyperion For This Useful Post:
greenguy101 (12-02-2013), humanshield (12-02-2013), JPM Coachworks (12-02-2013)
Old 12-02-2013, 03:06 PM   #18
Gen

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigmaHyperion View Post
JPM clearly sees the logo as advertising worth something. Which makes sense -- other peoples pictures online are the ONLY form of marketing that they have. Who doesn't put that stuff into their car without taking a picture and posting it online to show it off a bit?
In my industry, the marketing geeks actually calculate and place a value on each marketing impression when determining ROI. Plus, this thread has 965 views as a result of that logo alone.
Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gen For This Useful Post:
MysteryMachine (12-02-2013), onefitz (12-02-2013), SkAsphalt (12-02-2013)
Old 12-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #19
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Im not saying JPM is wrong for doing what they are doing

BUT

Not everyone wants to advertise and when you buy aftermarket sometimes the entire purpose of the purchase is for discrete looks.

I think JPM is costing themselves a fair amount of business by charging extra (dont care if they changed the wording we all know the intent) just to have their advertising removed.

Some people loath advertising and do whatever they can to remove it.
Some people want everyone to know what they have.

To each their own. I pick and choose what I want advertised on my car.

I'd have less of a problem with the JDM logo on their expensive dash panel if it was smaller or placed more discretely. The way it looks now is like a big giant McDonalds sign on the dash.
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tennisfreak For This Useful Post:
eddieEndo (12-02-2013)
Old 12-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #20
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post

Not everyone wants to advertise and when you buy aftermarket sometimes the entire purpose of the purchase is for discrete looks.
They do offer a jet black embroidering color option that costs no more than any of the other more obvious colors. This gives you discretion while they retain their maker's mark with no additional cost to you.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SirBrass For This Useful Post:
JPM Coachworks (12-02-2013), onefitz (12-02-2013), tennisfreak (12-02-2013)
Old 12-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #21
JPM Coachworks

Drives: Honda S2000, Subaru STI
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to JPM Coachworks
In the spirit of the Holidays and as a thank you to this community, we are currently running a 15% off sale for the Holidays on all of the BRZ/FR-S/86 products on our website through the end of the year. That means Bonded Dash Panels are $235.00/$170.00 and Non-Bonded Dash Panels are $201.00/$136.00, Branded/Non-Branded. You can see all of our special pricing here: http://www.jpmcoachworks.com/jpm/sho...ubaru-brz.html

If you wanted a non-branded dash panel, or you just want to take advantage of the Holiday sale, or both, now would be the perfect time to purchase as they will not be on sale again.

Full information and announcements to follow shortly.

Thank you and Happy Holidays!
Andrew
-JPMCoachworks.com
JPM Coachworks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JPM Coachworks For This Useful Post:
2pt5RS (12-04-2013), civicdrivr (12-03-2013), MysteryMachine (12-02-2013), SkAsphalt (12-02-2013), voyager2285 (12-02-2013)
Old 12-02-2013, 03:22 PM   #22
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Garage
Andrew, when I select the option of "No, I will provide my own factory parts", does that mean essentially I get the pieces with the intent that I DIY install them or that I remove the trim pieces and send them to you for installation?

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #23
JPM Coachworks

Quote:
I'd have less of a problem with the JDM logo on their expensive dash panel if it was smaller or placed more discretely. The way it looks now is like a big giant McDonalds sign on the dash.
@tennisfreak The logo is less than an inch tall, around 3 inches wide and located in the bottom right corner. With the scale of the dash piece and the interior overall, it is quite small and discreet and it comes in an all-black option that blends into the piece as a whole.

V/R
Andrew
-JPMCoachworks.com
The Following User Says Thank You to JPM Coachworks For This Useful Post:
tennisfreak (12-02-2013)
Old 12-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #24
JPM Coachworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
Andrew, when I select the option of "No, I will provide my own factory parts", does that mean essentially I get the pieces with the intent that I DIY install them or that I remove the trim pieces and send them to you for installation?
@SirBrass You are correct. It means that you uninstall the parts from your car and send them to us for installation. Unfortunately, we do not have a DIY option for this product. The product is sold as pictured, which is the full assembly wrapped in Alcantara.

V/R
Andrew
-JPMCoachworks.com
The Following User Says Thank You to JPM Coachworks For This Useful Post:
SirBrass (12-02-2013)
Old 12-02-2013, 04:16 PM   #25
onefitz

Drives: 13 GBS BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Why not just get this one?

onefitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onefitz For This Useful Post:
Evil Jesus (12-04-2013), SirBrass (12-02-2013)
Old 12-02-2013, 04:26 PM   #26
Burrcold

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,586 Times in 776 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Im not saying JPM is wrong for doing what they are doing

BUT

I think JPM is costing themselves a fair amount of business by charging extra (dont care if they changed the wording we all know the intent) just to have their advertising removed.

Some people loath advertising and do whatever they can to remove it.
Some people want everyone to know what they have.

To each their own. I pick and choose what I want advertised on my car.

You also pick and choose what products you put on your car. If you don't like the logo, don't buy the product. Pretty simple actually.

Or you can pay the full price of the panel and get no discount. What's the problem? I don't hear everyone screaming that they want the embossed logos on Volk wheels removed...at a discount nonetheless. Geez.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #27
DylanFRS
Lost in Kansas

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS (Raven)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I love it @JPM Coachworks! It is a solid way to advertise. People post their cars up all over on forums and in magazines and people see it at car shows. Most companies put their logo on their products to get their name out there. All you have done is given people the option to pay to take it off. Awesome example of good, working capitalism! Between your quality, the fact that your stuff is made in the USA, and now this, I am going to have to convince my wife I need new interior panels!

Anyways... this:
DylanFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DylanFRS For This Useful Post:
JPM Coachworks (12-02-2013)
Old 12-02-2013, 04:43 PM   #28
JPM Coachworks

To everyone who has responded, we appreciate your feedback. We are always grateful to hear from this community.

V/R
Andrew