follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 09-03-2021, 10:27 AM   #15
Airzza

Drives: 2012 Jetta TDI Tuned
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The Salesman called back last night and I said id take it if they dropped the price 2k, or else im just going to wait for the 2nd gen. I honestly doubt id buy it even if they dropped the price 2k at this point LOL

I know this is a speculative question, but how many years do you think it will take them to release another PP or start releasing special editions? How long after the first gen did they start to release them?

Also, is a PP good value for money? Or is the aftermarket usually less expensive, Including labor I have no place to work on my own vehicle and minimal tools for once in my life. (I used to fix and flip diesel trucks and hondas in Alaska. Was a rewarding side hustle)
Airzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 11:42 AM   #16
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
iirc, the pp was only like a $5k increase. Brakes alone are about $3k for front only, backs are another $1500 new, not including install, and then it still got upgraded but non-adjustable dampers-- if you get serious, these would get swapped anyways, so hard to price that.
Old 09-03-2021, 11:56 AM   #17
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
2 K less is still a shit price. If you're paying anything above $25 K even if it is for one with the PP, it seems much smarter just to fork up the extra money for a new one with a clean driving history because let's face it a good chunk of folks truly beat on these cars. Personally I wouldn't pay more than $20 K on a used twin. A clean 15 or 16 which had the highest reliability years according to CR, you can source most of the PP gear from a part out or just go aftermarket, plenty of good options out there. Only thing might need to watch for is the TOB but many folks have had their dealership change it out.
HKz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 12:47 PM   #18
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
iirc, the pp was only like a $5k increase. Brakes alone are about $3k for front only, backs are another $1500 new, not including install, and then it still got upgraded but non-adjustable dampers-- if you get serious, these would get swapped anyways, so hard to price that.
PP is super cheap if purchased as a package.

"The BRZ Performance Package is well-priced at just $1,195."

Stock or even aftermarket BBK for this car runs far greater than that, not including installation fees, etc. The PP is an absolute bargain.
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dzmitry For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (09-03-2021)
Old 09-03-2021, 03:53 PM   #19
JesseG

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzmitry View Post
I skimmed through what people are saying, blah blah blah. I think the main reason you SHOULDN'T get this one, at least for now, is simply price. At 12K miles, that fully loaded BRZ still seems way too expensive. Go look for the thread where people used to post their purchase prices based on their trim and options. I got a Limited with PP and one of the optional packages for 26K with only 8 miles on it. This is a shit time to buy.

Prices are sky high for the twins right now in the used market. It’s not an ideal time to buy one. But finding a low mileage one that hasn’t been crashed, modified, etc will become more difficult. There are still some new ones out there also, and honestly that’s probably the best way to go if you want a first gen. Or wait until used car prices return to earth and the second gen is out.
My advice is to wait for the second generation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JesseG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 06:12 PM   #20
bucketfoot

Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86
Keep in mind that while prices are high right now, your trade-in value is also going to be elevated. So there is a good chance that the net difference in cost now versus say a year ago is reasonably similar.

Personally if you are happy with the Jetta and don't expect any major costs (quite hard to know of course), I would probably hold off until this whole automotive industry mess subsides. But keep in mind that that could be as far off as 2023.
JesseG (09-04-2021)
Old 09-03-2021, 08:11 PM   #21
soundman98

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketfoot View Post
Keep in mind that while prices are high right now, your trade-in value is also going to be elevated. So there is a good chance that the net difference in cost now versus say a year ago is reasonably similar.

Personally if you are happy with the Jetta and don't expect any major costs (quite hard to know of course), I would probably hold off until this whole automotive industry mess subsides. But keep in mind that that could be as far off as 2023.
i genuinely believe it's going to be longer. i'm fully expecting the globe is going to go into full shutdown again this winter, due to our general non-response to covid.

but that's likely a debate for a different thread...
dpfarr (09-05-2021)
Old 09-04-2021, 02:17 AM   #22
JCC

Drives: 2016 ice silver metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
i genuinely believe it's going to be longer. i'm fully expecting the globe is going to go into full shutdown again this winter, due to our general non-response to covid.

but that's likely a debate for a different thread...
maybe even a different forum..
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JCC For This Useful Post:
JesseG (09-04-2021)
Old 09-04-2021, 10:38 AM   #23
2020BRZtS

Drives: '20 BRZ tS (15/300) / '09 Scion tC
Garage
I spent more time picking out my last cell phone than I did deciding to buy a twin. I can respect wanting other's opinions but anyone else's opinion doesn't impact your wallet.

buying a car is like buying a laptop. As soon as you get it home it's obsolete. Within 12 months there will be a "better" one and your Jetta will have that much more depreciation. Don't get fooled by the numbers game. Our cars aren't worth more right now... the dollar is worth less. When the dollar rebounds cars will be cheaper and your trade will be worth less.

Check your budget and if you can afford it buy now. You cannot put a price on lost time with a twin.
2020BRZtS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 01:26 PM   #24
soundman98

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020BRZtS View Post
You cannot put a price on lost time with a twin.
if he's getting a loan for the remaining amount after trade, i'm pretty sure the bank can put a price on it!
2020BRZtS (09-04-2021), HKz (09-05-2021)
Old 09-04-2021, 05:37 PM   #25
bucketfoot

Being that I am an old fart, I know that I am not the typical twin owner. But I will definitely say that being able to pay cash for it was a major factor in my opting for the 86 versus the other two options in my final three.
Old 09-09-2021, 08:09 PM   #26
wheelspeed
Large Member

Drives: Ford Flex, ZX9R, FLHTCUi, DRZ400S
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketfoot View Post
Being that I am an old fart, I know that I am not the typical twin owner. But I will definitely say that being able to pay cash for it was a major factor in my opting for the 86 versus the other two options in my final three.
I don't understand your comment... surely you can pay cash for anything. Are you saying two out of your final three wouldn't accept cash for a car?
Old 09-09-2021, 08:11 PM   #27
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspeed View Post
Are you saying two out of your final three wouldn't accept cash for a car?
I would assume he didn't have enough cash for the other two options and would have had to take a loan to pay for them.
Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 10:04 PM   #28
bucketfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspeed View Post
I don't understand your comment... surely you can pay cash for anything. Are you saying two out of your final three wouldn't accept cash for a car?
I had a designated amount of cash that was specifically allocated to go towards a new car. The 86 was the only model that I could pay cash for with this specifically allocated amount.

Now that was not the primary reason for getting the 86, and I easily could have afforded the other options. But certainly not having a loan was an added bonus of selecting the 86.