follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-29-2020, 12:23 PM   #197
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The TRD catback is an awesome exhaust. I loved mine until I installed headers then it was a little loud for me. IMO perfect without headers. Sounds awesome and race car-y with headers but I like a bit quieter note. I’m putting it up for sale this week.
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 02:29 PM   #198
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,205 Times in 1,128 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Does anybody know or can confirm how the muffler is designed?
Does the muffler utilize packing material or anything that can heat cycle off over time?

Mainly curious as I am buying a used TRD catback shortly which has seen some mileage and do not want to buy a tin can.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 05:17 AM   #199
sygfrid
FT8Syg

Drives: `12 FRS & `17 BRZ Inazuma
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I had the 2019 TRD SE catback + UEL on my previous FRS. It was drony on the highway above 3k rpms. We experimented on wrapping the midpipe with DEI Form-a-Shield that has a thick layer of heat insulation & we got the following:

*More quiet cabin -the thick insulation muffled the pipes
*Bassy notes - the insulation muffled the exhaust by absorbing more mid & high notes & left behind a nicer bass that didn't piss off the neighbour nor attract cops.
*No more drone at 3k rpms
*Cooler cabin

With sound:
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1Q...pEyqIgJbb6M7sX
Modding for daily fun & efficiency: Gruppe-S UEL, HKS dual res. FP, STi Per. Muffler, Delicious T. Ecutek tune, Crawford BPB, Grimmspeed CAI, STi Flex T. Bar, TRD Door Stabilizer, DSS aluminum propeller shaft, Verus diffuser & underbody covers, Verus LCA, Perrin bushings, Bilstein B6+RCE Yellows, Michelin PS4S + 18" WedsSport TC105X-summer, Michelin Alpin PA4 +18" Motegi MR140-winter
sygfrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sygfrid For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (07-22-2021), Thefalls (07-26-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 12:12 PM   #200
FrickingReallySlow

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Your images aren't showing up for us. Would like to see how you did your form a shield on the muffler/midpipe !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygfrid View Post
I had the 2019 TRD SE catback + UEL on my previous FRS. It was drony on the highway above 3k rpms. We experimented on wrapping the midpipe with DEI Form-a-Shield that has a thick layer of heat insulation & we got the following:

*More quiet cabin -the thick insulation muffled the pipes
*Bassy notes - the insulation muffled the exhaust by absorbing more mid & high notes & left behind a nicer bass that didn't piss off the neighbour nor attract cops.
*No more drone at 3k rpms
*Cooler cabin

With sound:
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1Q...pEyqIgJbb6M7sX
FrickingReallySlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 06:52 AM   #201
sygfrid
FT8Syg

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrickingReallySlow View Post
Your images aren't showing up for us. Would like to see how you did your form a shield on the muffler/midpipe !!
Hmmm, interesting... I can see the images on here. I'm not sure if having it on Google Photos creates the viewing problem. Nevertheless, You can scroll it on IG: FT8syg. I have recently wrapped the Gruppe-S UEL as well with DEI Form-a-Shield to make the engine bay cooler while allowing the pipes to "breathe".
Modding for daily fun & efficiency: Gruppe-S UEL, HKS dual res. FP, STi Per. Muffler, Delicious T. Ecutek tune, Crawford BPB, Grimmspeed CAI, STi Flex T. Bar, TRD Door Stabilizer, DSS aluminum propeller shaft, Verus diffuser & underbody covers, Verus LCA, Perrin bushings, Bilstein B6+RCE Yellows, Michelin PS4S + 18" WedsSport TC105X-summer, Michelin Alpin PA4 +18" Motegi MR140-winter
Old 07-28-2021, 01:35 AM   #202
jdemm

Drives: Blue 2014 FRS Limited
Makes a great sound when accelerating but at mild throttle it is extremely droney. I was getting non stop headaches. Got a q300 to be able to think again. If you hate drone..stay away
jdemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 01:58 AM   #203
FrickingReallySlow

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Cool! where did you get your metal zipties for the form a shield?

Btw sorry to see your rouge go down like that, glad you didn't have a scratch after a T-bone and found a new brz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygfrid View Post
Hmmm, interesting... I can see the images on here. I'm not sure if having it on Google Photos creates the viewing problem. Nevertheless, You can scroll it on IG: FT8syg. I have recently wrapped the Gruppe-S UEL as well with DEI Form-a-Shield to make the engine bay cooler while allowing the pipes to "breathe".
FrickingReallySlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 04:15 AM   #204
sygfrid
FT8Syg

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrickingReallySlow View Post
Cool! where did you get your metal zipties for the form a shield?

Btw sorry to see your rouge go down like that, glad you didn't have a scratch after a T-bone and found a new brz!
Thanks... Yeah, that's why I got another ft86 (BRZ) bec. it's gonna save my life again from such impact!

The metal zip ties should be available in Home Depot. I got mine from Canadian Tire. However, if you're feeling lazy to go out & want more options, you can always check AMAZON. I got the package that has the metal zip ties & the cable gun tie that tightens & locks it https://www.amazon.com/Aigreat-Stain...546402&sr=8-10
The Following User Says Thank You to sygfrid For This Useful Post:
FrickingReallySlow (07-29-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 05:13 PM   #205
Bigmeanbeast

Drives: 2017 86
I just wanted to include my 2 cents in saying that the TRD exhaust is manufactured by Gibson, or at least uses a Gibson resonator as I can see the word "Gibson" stamped on it. It's a high quality piece, well designed, and sounds nice. I have a Berk test pipe that eliminates the secondary cat (stock header) and it's pretty loud now, but manageable. The test pipe added some higher frequencies for sure, but not offensive. With a catless header it would be nuts, and I would consider going to a resonated test pipe.
Bigmeanbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 08:26 PM   #206
fiveoneoh

Drives: none
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I just installed this puppy and it's got the really bad drone everyone talks about. Any suggestions on reducing (or eliminating) it? Happens at about 25-35 mph and 2-3k rpm.

Otherwise I really like everything else about it, it sounds good and it's not obnoxiously loud. Plus, D shaped tips.
fiveoneoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 09:39 PM   #207
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveoneoh View Post
I just installed this puppy and it's got the really bad drone everyone talks about. Any suggestions on reducing (or eliminating) it? Happens at about 25-35 mph and 2-3k rpm.

Otherwise I really like everything else about it, it sounds good and it's not obnoxiously loud. Plus, D shaped tips.
Is the rest of your exhaust stock? No headers or front pipe?

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 12:34 AM   #208
fiveoneoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
Is the rest of your exhaust stock? No headers or front pipe?

Yup it's all stock otherwise.

Also, I don't think it's lose bolts b/c everything was tightened to spec.
Old 05-21-2022, 01:42 AM   #209
NLSP

Drives: 2014 Ultramarine FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveoneoh View Post
I recently replaced the mid-pipe resonator with a Vibrant Performance Ultra Quiet resonator (part # 1140 for the 2.25" inlet/outlet). Got rid of 95% of the drone, much more easy to live with now.

NLSP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NLSP For This Useful Post:
kevaughan (05-22-2022), Teseo (05-21-2022)
Old 05-21-2022, 12:10 PM   #210
fiveoneoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLSP View Post
I recently replaced the mid-pipe resonator with a Vibrant Performance Ultra Quiet resonator (part # 1140 for the 2.25" inlet/outlet). Got rid of 95% of the drone, much more easy to live with now.

Thanks for the tip (ha!), I will check it out. So you no longer have that low frequency hum when driving on city streets? I noticed it's from about 25-35 mph and reduces a bit when I shift into 4th. Ideally would like to stay in 3rd at these speeds.