follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-26-2016, 12:41 PM   #15
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
From my research,

The Maximal Performance oil cooler kit is best bang for the buck for DD/Canyon/HDPE cars. Great components like a Mocal sandwich adapter and Setrab radiator (unlike the CX Racing's generic components), and compromises made in the right places to make it an excellent value (eg. rubber hoses instead of braided steel, etc). @Maximal will customize the kit for your specifications and works with people to create whatever is needed from top tier off the shelf components. Their build thread is here.

The Racer-X oil cooler kit could be the best overall air to oil cooler as it has an awesome custom sandwich adapter that resolves the minor fit issues of the Mocal sandwich adapter used in many of these kits, it has a top mount for the radiator (over merely mounting the radiator into the bottom plastic tray) and IMO a higher performing radiator than lets say the Mishimoto kit (the Racer-X kit can be had with larger capacity Setrab and Bell radiators like the Jackson Racing Oil cooler kit) at a price that is roughly equal to the Mishi kit depending on how you configure the kit. Their build thread is here.

IIRC the Skunk2 Ultra Radiator is the only water to oil cooler that is not Laminova (since Robispec fell off the map) that looks like it's a PITA to install, but could provide the most stable oil temps over time. @g0odspeed posted an excellent DIY that should shave time on install and component selection here.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
kch (01-26-2016), kevaughan (08-24-2020)
Old 01-26-2016, 01:05 PM   #16
justatroll

Drives: Full race 4cyl boxer
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
CX Racing. Need a ton of Teflon tape for the threaded fittings.

For a properly installed cooler, the ONLY Teflon you need AT ALL is for the NPT to AN adapters where they thread into the sandwich adapter (2X threads).
All of the rest of the fittings should be sealant free.

And I never use Teflon tape on my engines any longer.
I use the Loctite 567 liquid thread sealant.
justatroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 03:05 PM   #17
Maximal

Drives: Dodge Stealth
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo585 View Post
Does it have a thermostat?
Yep, it uses the mocal thermostatic sandwich plate.
Maximal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 03:06 PM   #18
Sgtfluffy16

Drives: White BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Are there any updates to any of this? I'm looking at doing some sort of oil cooler on my car. I am supercharged, and I will be doing more hpde events this year
Sgtfluffy16 is offline   Reply With Quote