follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 12-12-2019, 09:09 PM   #1
GrabTheWheel

Drives: 16' BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
WedsSport's vs Titan 7's 18x9.5?

I'm looking to buy a couple sets of wheels to clear larger brakes. Titan 7 wheels are forged which I like but they are also somehow 1LB per corner heavier than the WedsSport's in the same 18x9.5 size. Surprisingly the non-forged WedSport's are more expensive. Although the price difference is negligible. Titan 7's have a +40 offset instead of the +45 on the WedsSport's. I would think the +40 would provide better fitment, is that correct?

Anyone have experience with one or both of these wheels at the track? Buttonwillow seems to really like to bend wheels. I'm starting to learn how much of a consumable wheels really are. So cost and easily available are definitley important to me. I have also heard that forged wheels are not necessarily more resistant to bending than quality flow form wheels, not sure if this is true? I am open to other wheels of similar cost and quality if people have other suggestions?

Leaning towards the WedsSports but I would prefer the +40 offset.

Maybe I will buy a set of each and report back which holds up better...
GrabTheWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:18 PM   #2
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,176 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Forged =/= Lighter.

Forged = denser metal, with better crystalline structure, which is stronger. This allows a forged wheel to potentially be lighter. Also, it gives the forged wheel a superior mode of failure.

Buy based on strength and rigidity, not weight. I bet those forged, heavier wheels are harder to bend than the lighter, cast wheels.

I use a lot of 57CR for a nice balance of cost and strength. Weight is the least of my concerns for the most part.
CSG Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
mixxxx (12-20-2019), Racecomp Engineering (12-20-2019), why? (12-19-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 12:39 PM   #3
PulsarBeeerz

Drives: JRSC BRZ SOLD
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Forging doesn't make a subpar raw material better and all forging techniques aren't created equal. Just something to keep in mind. You have a flow formed wheel costing the same a forged wheel. I'd be specious of the cheap forged wheel, this is after working in the alloy industry for a bit.
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PulsarBeeerz For This Useful Post:
GrabTheWheel (12-20-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 06:23 PM   #4
J1Avs

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabTheWheel View Post
I'm looking to buy a couple sets of wheels to clear larger brakes. Titan 7 wheels are forged which I like but they are also somehow 1LB per corner heavier than the WedsSport's in the same 18x9.5 size. Surprisingly the non-forged WedSport's are more expensive. Although the price difference is negligible. Titan 7's have a +40 offset instead of the +45 on the WedsSport's. I would think the +40 would provide better fitment, is that correct?

Anyone have experience with one or both of these wheels at the track? Buttonwillow seems to really like to bend wheels. I'm starting to learn how much of a consumable wheels really are. So cost and easily available are definitley important to me. I have also heard that forged wheels are not necessarily more resistant to bending than quality flow form wheels, not sure if this is true? I am open to other wheels of similar cost and quality if people have other suggestions?

Leaning towards the WedsSports but I would prefer the +40 offset.

Maybe I will buy a set of each and report back which holds up better...
I struggled with the same choice in wheels but in 17x9, because I wanted to try out a smaller wheel for cheaper tires (~400 bucks cheaper/set depending on which 200TW tire). I ended up going with the Apex Arc-8's because they were on a real nice black friday special. The really nice thing about Apex is their warranty and replacement program. If your wheel ends up not being covered, it's only 50% replacement charge. So somewhere between $125-$150 vs $500+.

If you are really looking at wheels as a consumables, this may be the way for you to go. If you are also concerned about wheels as a consumables, then tires are obviously on your radar, and that cost, as pointed out, is also significantly cheaper than the 18's.

I haven't mounted and/or used the Apex wheels yet (yay winter!), so I can't say how I like running a 17 just yet, but just figured I'd share.

Currently, I run the Mach V Crucial (18x9.5) Flow-Formed, and weighs in at 19.5lbs. No issues about a year in, with multiple days at VIR, Dominion Raceway, and Summit Point. Price point is about $1300/set. Some pictures can be found here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...hlight=crucial
J1Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 02:30 AM   #5
GrabTheWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1Avs View Post
I struggled with the same choice in wheels but in 17x9, because I wanted to try out a smaller wheel for cheaper tires (~400 bucks cheaper/set depending on which 200TW tire). I ended up going with the Apex Arc-8's because they were on a real nice black friday special. The really nice thing about Apex is their warranty and replacement program. If your wheel ends up not being covered, it's only 50% replacement charge. So somewhere between $125-$150 vs $500+.

If you are really looking at wheels as a consumables, this may be the way for you to go. If you are also concerned about wheels as a consumables, then tires are obviously on your radar, and that cost, as pointed out, is also significantly cheaper than the 18's.

I haven't mounted and/or used the Apex wheels yet (yay winter!), so I can't say how I like running a 17 just yet, but just figured I'd share.

Currently, I run the Mach V Crucial (18x9.5) Flow-Formed, and weighs in at 19.5lbs. No issues about a year in, with multiple days at VIR, Dominion Raceway, and Summit Point. Price point is about $1300/set. Some pictures can be found here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...hlight=crucial
Thanks for the advice. I don't really want to go from 17's to 18's. Only reason I'm doing so is to accommodate bigger brakes that will help tame 500 plus horsepower.
Old 12-20-2019, 11:02 AM   #6
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,890 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
I ran 17x9 fronts with 328mm brakes on my tracked 550hp FD fwiw...

Regarding forged vs. cast, I'd just go with a reputable manufacturer and whichever wheel you prefer for looks and can afford. The weight difference isn't that big a deal. Material is one thing, but design is really more important. Very strong material with a too-tight radius at the wrong place can fail. Weaker material with fewer and less intense stress concentrations can be strong and durable and reasonably lightweight.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 01:42 PM   #7
GrabTheWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
I ran 17x9 fronts with 328mm brakes on my tracked 550hp FD fwiw...

Regarding forged vs. cast, I'd just go with a reputable manufacturer and whichever wheel you prefer for looks and can afford. The weight difference isn't that big a deal. Material is one thing, but design is really more important. Very strong material with a too-tight radius at the wrong place can fail. Weaker material with fewer and less intense stress concentrations can be strong and durable and reasonably lightweight.
Thanks for the input. I’m currently running a similar BBK and while the car stops well I’m going through expensive pads way to quickly, only getting 200 laps. I want something with a much higher thermal capacity and giant pads that will last me 10 plus track days. So that’s the motivation to swap for much larger rotors and a kit that was made for racing.
Old 12-24-2019, 09:01 PM   #8
Nuts & Bolts Performance

Drives: 17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Do you have any brake cooling?

What pads are you using currently?

I don't think the simple answer is larger rotors/BBK.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Nuts & Bolts Performance is offline   Reply With Quote