follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.


View Poll Results: How many 86 owners are planning on getting the Supra?
I'm definitely getting one 28 12.56%
I might get one if they offer a MT 87 39.01%
No, not me. 108 48.43%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-29-2020, 02:08 PM   #1905
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 60,160
Thanks: 53,036
Thanked 86,847 Times in 38,659 Posts
Mentioned: 2198 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxis View Post
I'm not sure when the topic of sales targets was introduced. I seem to recall the topic was Toyota 'FLAGSHIPS'. Flagship meaning pinnacle, the very term used to describe the LFA cuz it is/was the Toyota flagship product from the company.

Kind of proves my point when certain other people try to debate by even arguing with themselves and inverting the meaning and contexts of their own words. Carry on.
Agree that the LFA WAS a flagship car.
LOL strongly at your earlier statement that anybody wanting a Toyota Supra should buy one and put the badge on it. The two cars do not belong in the same discussion even to try and make a point.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (03-01-2020), Dadhawk (02-29-2020), KR-S 86 (02-29-2020)
Old 02-29-2020, 04:58 PM   #1906
nashcarr
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Drives: 2020 Hakone Edition, 1995 Miata
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 31
Thanks: 0
Thanked 30 Times in 15 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I am liking the Supra, a lot. I just can't get past the automatic. I also just bought a 2020 86, which I really like (it's green too!). I wonder what the next 86 will bring? I don't think it will be near 250 hp bc of the 4 banger Supra at 255hp. Time will tell.
nashcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nashcarr For This Useful Post:
mn_ca (03-01-2020)
Old 02-29-2020, 05:10 PM   #1907
soundman98
Boost is Whack. N/A4LYFE
 
soundman98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Drives: '14 brz limited
Location: chicagolandia
Posts: 4,135
Thanks: 9,675
Thanked 4,030 Times in 2,164 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
Pffft the internet mob is smarter than all manufacturers of any product.
clearly we know better than the people who make the products......
it would help if the oem's would be a little more transparent with the reasons for their decisions.

i think we can all agree leaving me to my own reasoning leaves a lot to be desired.
__________________
my '14 brz limited "the return to normal" (or is it?)
led mods-10%(planning/designing/sitting on hands)audio mods-99%(done is never done)

hidplanet build log
soundman98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soundman98 For This Useful Post:
KR-S 86 (02-29-2020)
Old 02-29-2020, 11:34 PM   #1908
KR-S 86
Sporadic Member
 
KR-S 86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S M/T
Location: Earth
Posts: 2,923
Thanks: 4,776
Thanked 3,233 Times in 1,599 Posts
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxis View Post
I'm not sure when the topic of sales targets was introduced. I seem to recall the topic was Toyota 'FLAGSHIPS'. Flagship meaning pinnacle, the very term used to describe the LFA cuz it is/was the Toyota flagship product from the company.

Kind of proves my point when certain other people try to debate by even arguing with themselves and inverting the meaning and contexts of their own words. Carry on.
The LFA was a flagship for the LEXUS brand, by the way. It may have been Toyota's best car regardless of brand, but it was built as a Lexus and has no place being compared to with regards to Toyota brand flagships.

The desire for a majority Toyota-built Supra stands regardless of whatever you believe is the flagship product, as its name holds weight to many people. I'm sure people would complain about a new Toyota MR2 being a rebadged Porsche Boxster.

Ultimately neither you nor I will ever know if Toyota could build a Supra by themselves without resorting to contracting another company to build it for them for 50-60K. It's rather idiotic to assume you know better than a car company about pricing (as evidenced by your C8 bashing) and I'm ashamed to have even entertained your asinine arguments to begin with.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by klearfade View Post
Is that gel in your hair?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyLooie View Post
Nah, homes. It's your dadda's hot goopey goop.
KR-S 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KR-S 86 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-01-2020)
Old 02-29-2020, 11:37 PM   #1909
KR-S 86
Sporadic Member
 
KR-S 86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S M/T
Location: Earth
Posts: 2,923
Thanks: 4,776
Thanked 3,233 Times in 1,599 Posts
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashcarr View Post
I am liking the Supra, a lot. I just can't get past the automatic. I also just bought a 2020 86, which I really like (it's green too!). I wonder what the next 86 will bring? I don't think it will be near 250 hp bc of the 4 banger Supra at 255hp. Time will tell.
We'll see. There's a lot of concern that it will be nothing like the current gen. Whether that is a good or bad thing remains to be seen.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by klearfade View Post
Is that gel in your hair?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyLooie View Post
Nah, homes. It's your dadda's hot goopey goop.
KR-S 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 08:10 AM   #1910
mn_ca
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Drives: 2013 frs, 2005 is300
Location: Winter Wonderland
Posts: 67
Thanks: 71
Thanked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashcarr View Post
I am liking the Supra, a lot. I just can't get past the automatic. I also just bought a 2020 86, which I really like (it's green too!). I wonder what the next 86 will bring? I don't think it will be near 250 hp bc of the 4 banger Supra at 255hp. Time will tell.
I was one of those guys but I am loving what it's got. I guess when you're older and you start to have knee, gout, and other lower body issues, it's fine. I dont plan on tracking my supra so I'll never know itd full potential but, man, I'm in love. We all just need to appreciate the car for what it is.
mn_ca is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mn_ca For This Useful Post:
BA9092 (03-01-2020)
Old 03-01-2020, 02:01 PM   #1911
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 60,160
Thanks: 53,036
Thanked 86,847 Times in 38,659 Posts
Mentioned: 2198 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
it would help if the oem's would be a little more transparent with the reasons for their decisions.

i think we can all agree leaving me to my own reasoning leaves a lot to be desired.
Why would they be more transparent? They do not owe explanations to anybody. They employ thousands of professionals to analyze the markets and determine what the majority want and what they will or will not build. Unlike the internet experts opinion that the companies are all just dumb and there is one guy in a dark room making decisions there is a rather complex science to it. A vocal minority is still a minority no matter how much they scream "BUT I WANT..."
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
Dave-ROR (03-04-2020), Spuds (03-01-2020)
Old 03-01-2020, 04:56 PM   #1912
soundman98
Boost is Whack. N/A4LYFE
 
soundman98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Drives: '14 brz limited
Location: chicagolandia
Posts: 4,135
Thanks: 9,675
Thanked 4,030 Times in 2,164 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
just because they make rational decisions doesn't mean they can't make an attempt to explain it to the irrational...
__________________
my '14 brz limited "the return to normal" (or is it?)
led mods-10%(planning/designing/sitting on hands)audio mods-99%(done is never done)

hidplanet build log
soundman98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 05:33 PM   #1913
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 60,160
Thanks: 53,036
Thanked 86,847 Times in 38,659 Posts
Mentioned: 2198 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
just because they make rational decisions doesn't mean they can't make an attempt to explain it to the irrational...
Doesn't answer my question. Why WOULD they? what possible benefit would there be to it? The dissenters would still dissent. The speculators would still speculate. The internet "experts" would just say it was bullshit. There is zero value to a company, ANY company, explaining why they do or do not do what they do. They have their reasons for every single decision and explaining those reasons to a bunch of people that won't listen anyway would be a huge waste of time and money.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (03-01-2020)
Old 03-01-2020, 05:41 PM   #1914
soundman98
Boost is Whack. N/A4LYFE
 
soundman98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Drives: '14 brz limited
Location: chicagolandia
Posts: 4,135
Thanks: 9,675
Thanked 4,030 Times in 2,164 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
i would complain less...
__________________
my '14 brz limited "the return to normal" (or is it?)
led mods-10%(planning/designing/sitting on hands)audio mods-99%(done is never done)

hidplanet build log
soundman98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soundman98 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-01-2020)
Old 03-01-2020, 06:09 PM   #1915
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat
 
chaoskaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Drives: CWP S.B.
Location: LasVegas
Posts: 2,938
Thanks: 4,565
Thanked 1,239 Times in 833 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I love the Supra so i'm not gonna play the old joke.....

But We need a Cheaper LFA.......... not LC500
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 03:26 PM   #1916
abraxis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Drives: many
Location: here
Posts: 485
Thanks: 190
Thanked 279 Times in 152 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
The LFA was a flagship for the LEXUS brand, by the way. It may have been Toyota's best car regardless of brand, but it was built as a Lexus and has no place being compared to with regards to Toyota brand flagships.

Ultimately neither you nor I will ever know if Toyota could build a Supra by themselves without resorting to contracting another company to build it for them for 50-60K. It's rather idiotic to assume you know better than a car company about pricing (as evidenced by your C8 bashing) and I'm ashamed to have even entertained your asinine arguments to begin with.
And you just proved my point on every level. I was hoping you'd be able to move on, but clearly have issues seeing the non sequiturs of your own arguments and can't even process basic counterarguments which is why I knew it would be a waste of time to even continue. Sadly your incessant blathering of nonsense and ad hominem attacks begs a response.

Lexus is the premium brand of Toyota, hence you can not have a pinnacle product under their roof branded as a Toyota. The Land Cruiser is branded here as a Lexus. Toyota has been very clear many times about the need to keep the two brand separated when you are asking people to spend more than $60k here in the US for a premium/pinnacle product.

Also, if you actually knew anything about Toyota's history, the LFA represents Toyota history before they even made cars by implementing a carbon fiber loom to harken back to the days when Toyota made cotton looms. The idea that you can disassociate Lexus or the LFA from the Toyota brand is a no go. Lexus wasn't even a brand in Japan for along time, and was formulated for marketing purposes in the West where they didn't perceive Toyota as a quality brand. So they literally slapped a new Lexus badge on the same Toyotas they sold in Japan. Now you expect them to throw out their entire corporate strategy of 20 years so you can have a $90k Supra that very few people will be able to afford just to appease your rabid fanboyness of some personal idealization of what a Supra should be. No I don't think so. It is you who doesn't understand what a car company is trying to do and it's your type of thinking that would prevent more people from having economically democratized access to a frankly awesome car like the current Supra.

But I agree, it shouldn't be compared to the Supra because the Supra was never a $90k-$100k flagship for the Toyota brand. You could get the same 2JZ in a Toyota Cressida ffs. And that's the point, the Supra does NOT belong in the discussion of 'pinnacle' 'flagship' supercars. It is not and never was a 'Halo' product. And if people like you want to have the Supra be the 'flagship' halo car for Toyota, these are the considerations you have to deal with. Brand placement, price points, demand, costs, etc. None of which you have considered adequately bringing me to my next point.

You state neither you nor I will ever know if Toyota would be able to produce the Supra by themselves for $50-$60k on their own and that I'm asinine to presume so. Uhhh....no. The presumptive one here is you. I seriously don't know what rock you've been living under to not know Toyota has come out and said explicitly numerous times that making a Toyota Supra in house with a brand new I-6 would push the costs to nearly double in the 90k territory. But that's not good enough for you? YOU are the one that knows better than the car company!! That's hilarious. But hey, feel free to project your own inadequacy on someone else if if makes you feel better trolling a forum with silly statements like raising the price to $90k would NOT prevent any people from buying a Supra. You should look up a price-demand curve from a basic econ course sometime. Oh yeah, and obviously Toyota did their own math and accounting on producing the fictional Supra that exists in your mind and decided it was a no go. But hey, you know better than the actual car company again! As for the C8, GM has acknowledged they will lose about 10-15k on every supposed $60k vette they sell. Maybe you have heard the media management about economies of scale they have been spouting to pull off their production cost magic? Let me explain that to you since you clearly need some assistance. That means they are burying their losses across their entire production lineup because even with economies of scale, GM conceded that the cost to build one C8 is in the $75k zone. Yes, their figures, not mine. And anyone with any basic engineering or automotive manufacturing knowledge would be able to see that in all the C8 cutaways. That clearly isn't you. You would have to sell the C8 in Corolla numbers year after year to break even at $60k. So yeah, clearly Toyota is not interested in producing your fabricated notion of a Supra and take a bath on every one sold to appease whatever pedestal you have put the Supra on. I wouldn't have even brought up the LFA or other Halo/flagship cars in the toyota lineup except that's the argument people are making for the Supra being a flagship product. Wasn't even my argument, lol. I'm arguing against the idea and siding with Toyota here. The idea of the new Supra as a GT car with more power, track performance and creature comforts than an 86 that is priced in a similar price bracket as the original when adjusted for inflation sits perfectly well with me. Especially since it means I can afford one.

To borrow your own quote, "It's rather idiotic to assume you know better than a car company about pricing" (see your posted quote above)

You are absolutely right about yourself. Can't argue with objective facts. Be careful when you point your finger at someone, you'll have 3 more pointed back right at yourself.

Also, your point about the 86 being a standalone car compared to the Supra is also complete nonsense. Both were developed in pretty much the same way, and do equal measure to pay homage to the spirit of their predecessors and what they brought to the table. If anything, the supra is more standalone for the fact it's a coupe and the Z4 is only a convertible. The irony is the 86 and BRZ share more in common in looks and drive more similarly than the supra and Z4 do despite having more parts bin skews to differentiate them. It's just a silly argument for you to make that offers nothing to the conversation.

Which brings us back to the core argument you were making from the beginning that I disagreed with. No matter how you want to spin it, your claim was precisely that if Toyota could NOT make your ideal version of an in house produced Supra, they shouldn't make any Supra at all. Well, again.....this is just crazy talk. The idea that a world without one is better than with one just screams of an irrational emotional response. There's a place for that kind of sentiment, like a forum. But no true sports car enthusiast wants fewer choices and higher prices that restrict their access. If you don't believe me, ask Toyota and GM because they clearly do know better than you and are not asinine. Refer to your own quote above if you have again lost your line of thought.

I tried to give you a soft out by only quoting tcoat on a tangent to let it die, but you decided to play mr. big shot forum troll and try to pile on by getting into a personal attack for the 3rd time. If you want to continue your cognitive dissonance in full public glory, I'm happy to provide any links, graphs, articles, and venn diagrams to further elucidate how ill informed you appear to be. I was just reposting your own quotes originally because I thought that was more than sufficient for a good chuckle without having to crap all over a forum thread. Even that went over your head. Oh well, no good deed....

Long Live Paul Walker!!

(and LOL at your notion that I'm a C8 basher. Cuz I stated it's bigger and heavier than the last two? You're funny when simple facts turn you into such a passionate hater. I'd be happy to make you a list of issues I have with every car so you could implode. You must have selectively erased memory of my critiques of the Supra and 86 for some reason. Hmmm... I'd be happy to take both the C8 and Supra but for different reasons and utility. They don't really play in the same field or compete with each other for my desires. They do for others somehow, that's their business. I wouldn't pay more than $45k for a Supra and no new C8 will cost that. Supra is a better daily driver in realistic traffic and store hauler with canyon carving and straight line ability, C8 is outright track level performance playing in the 160-210mph range that can do GT duties and non aggressive daily use if you have a big ass parking spot and little traffic during commutes. Sadly my C8 money has been shifted to the Cybertruck atm. Go big or go home. )
abraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 04:09 PM   #1917
abraxis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Drives: many
Location: here
Posts: 485
Thanks: 190
Thanked 279 Times in 152 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'd actually be curious to see a poll result on something.

Which is Honda's flagship sports car, the Acura NSX or the Civic Type R?

Cuz if you believe the LFA is not Toyota's flagship sports car, then you have to believe the Civic is Honda's flagship sports car, NOT the NSX.

(btw, the NSX is $160k. They sure are flying off the shelves!! Cuz price don't matter, lol)
abraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 04:11 PM   #1918
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,291
Thanks: 855
Thanked 1,187 Times in 743 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Who cares.
__________________
Instagram: @gt86wes
StraightOuttaCanadaEh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StraightOuttaCanadaEh For This Useful Post:
KR-S 86 (03-04-2020)
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2020 Toyota 86??? Twin-Dragons Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 225 01-02-2019 12:33 PM
Official: Nissan Concept 2020 Vision Gran Turismo revealed, hints future R36 GT-R vh_supra26 Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions 42 01-17-2016 02:28 AM
Nissan 2020 vs Toyota FT-1 vs Acura NSX vh_supra26 Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions 35 07-08-2014 05:15 PM
Modellista Toyota 86 Revealed quik1987 Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 385 12-04-2011 04:51 PM
Breaking! Toyota FT-86 II revealed? A-Spike Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 40 02-13-2011 06:16 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.