follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.


User Tag List
MisterSheep

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-31-2015, 01:27 PM   #1
MisterSheep
Killed Scion
 
MisterSheep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Location: East Bay, CA
Posts: 7,718
Thanks: 8,285
Thanked 7,300 Times in 4,482 Posts
Mentioned: 333 Post(s)
Tagged: 185 Thread(s)
Garage
All about E85. Video: MCM



Here is a little video done over by the guys at Mighty Car Mods all about E85. It's pretty educational and will enlighten some people who are new to this fuel or may be considering it.
__________________
Miyuki みゆき "Beautiful Snow" The Whiteout FR-S
Instagram: trevor.parque
Quote:
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
MisterSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to MisterSheep For This Useful Post:
bhmax (01-01-2016), Cole (01-01-2016), dj2020 (12-31-2015), GhostOp86 (01-04-2016), Guff (12-31-2015), JB86'd (12-31-2015), JonAvalon (12-31-2015), Mim (01-01-2016), new2subaru (01-01-2016), PMok (01-02-2016), steve99 (01-01-2016), stockysnail (01-03-2016)
Old 12-31-2015, 11:12 PM   #2
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!
 
Guff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Drives: BRZ LZR
Location: Texas/Illinois
Posts: 4,762
Thanks: 10,393
Thanked 3,333 Times in 1,406 Posts
Mentioned: 294 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
Poor Cheryl...
__________________
"Sweet Subaru, sweet Subaru, send your BRZ unto me, for the roads of the unworthy must be baptized in speed and glory."
- The Ancient BRZ Sacrament
by Zaku
Guff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guff For This Useful Post:
JonAvalon (01-01-2016), MisterSheep (01-02-2016)
Old 01-01-2016, 03:40 AM   #3
Mim
Senior Member
 
Mim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Drives: MY11 Maxima 350st, MY15 BRZ
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 534
Thanks: 304
Thanked 341 Times in 184 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
There were two things not made clear. Roughly how much more power (as a percentage) could I reasonably expect to make over a custom tune on regular petrol.

Also whether that benefit is still worth chasing on an N/A car over a boosted one?

I appreciate the cooling nature of E85 would lend itself more favourably towards use on a boosted car and so be of greater benefit, but as a person sticking to an NA build I'd want to know whether its worth bothering with. I have two E85 stations within a reasonable distance of where I live ie within 5km or so.

As it is I fill up once every two weeks so going to a weekly top up on the weekends is not a big deal for me.
__________________
MY15 CWP A/T BRZ | Leather heated seats | STI CAI filter, A/T leather shifter, strut brace, V-brace, draw stiffener, battery tie down, Radiator cap, Oil cap, push start button | TRD door stabilizer | YoSpeed STI console garnish | Pioneer AVIC-F70DAB + Rev-camera, TS-WX710A sub | JL speakers, Amp | TOMS' Clear Brake Lights | Cusco 4.556 FD | Driveshaft Shop aluminum shaft | Tein FlexZ, EDFC AP+GPS | Crawford BPB
Mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:29 AM   #4
steve99
Senior Member
 
steve99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Drives: FT86
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,631
Thanks: 980
Thanked 4,732 Times in 2,832 Posts
Mentioned: 524 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mim View Post
There were two things not made clear. Roughly how much more power (as a percentage) could I reasonably expect to make over a custom tune on regular petrol.

Also whether that benefit is still worth chasing on an N/A car over a boosted one?

I appreciate the cooling nature of E85 would lend itself more favourably towards use on a boosted car and so be of greater benefit, but as a person sticking to an NA build I'd want to know whether its worth bothering with. I have two E85 stations within a reasonable distance of where I live ie within 5km or so.

As it is I fill up once every two weeks so going to a weekly top up on the weekends is not a big deal for me.
On an NA brz/85 E85 is worth 10-15 wheel hp over petrol (tuned)

On a boosted car gains are much more substantial upwards of 50hp easily possible over petrol.

see links below
Basic Bolt on mods
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81493

E85 on stock car
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67310
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
eggncheese (01-01-2016), Guff (01-01-2016), Mim (01-01-2016), new2subaru (01-01-2016), Teseo (01-04-2016)
Old 01-02-2016, 08:33 PM   #5
PMok
Codename: Stitch
 
PMok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Drives: 05 tC; 06 IS350; 16 BRZ
Location: Hayward/NorCal
Posts: 5,233
Thanks: 3,986
Thanked 5,377 Times in 2,294 Posts
Mentioned: 461 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mim View Post
There were two things not made clear. Roughly how much more power (as a percentage) could I reasonably expect to make over a custom tune on regular petrol.

Also whether that benefit is still worth chasing on an N/A car over a boosted one?

I appreciate the cooling nature of E85 would lend itself more favourably towards use on a boosted car and so be of greater benefit, but as a person sticking to an NA build I'd want to know whether its worth bothering with. I have two E85 stations within a reasonable distance of where I live ie within 5km or so.

As it is I fill up once every two weeks so going to a weekly top up on the weekends is not a big deal for me.
Not exactly answering your first question, but my lightly modded NA car running on an E85 tune (OFT OTS tune) made about +20whp over a totally stock NA BRZ.

http://86drive.com/2014/05/18/pmoks-dyno-results/

And if you ask me, yeah E85 is worth it for an NA car (if it's convenient for you to fill up with it).
__________________
PMok is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PMok For This Useful Post:
Mim (01-03-2016), MisterSheep (01-02-2016)
Old 01-03-2016, 06:20 AM   #6
Mim
Senior Member
 
Mim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Drives: MY11 Maxima 350st, MY15 BRZ
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 534
Thanks: 304
Thanked 341 Times in 184 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
@steve99 & @PMok

Thanks both! Once my warranty is out I'm looking to do headers and a tune so will consider going that one step further and install a flex fuel kit. This would still be a year off though. Who knows e85 might spread to nearer stations by then.

I have a Caltex at the bottom of my street and I know they do E85 so here's hoping!
__________________
MY15 CWP A/T BRZ | Leather heated seats | STI CAI filter, A/T leather shifter, strut brace, V-brace, draw stiffener, battery tie down, Radiator cap, Oil cap, push start button | TRD door stabilizer | YoSpeed STI console garnish | Pioneer AVIC-F70DAB + Rev-camera, TS-WX710A sub | JL speakers, Amp | TOMS' Clear Brake Lights | Cusco 4.556 FD | Driveshaft Shop aluminum shaft | Tein FlexZ, EDFC AP+GPS | Crawford BPB
Mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:27 AM   #7
cuddefred
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: Black 86 GT
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Posts: 346
Thanks: 266
Thanked 164 Times in 85 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Just for reference, remember that here in Oz the Caltex is flex-fuel and variable between about E60 and E85 depending on the time of year etc., while United is a guaranteed minimum E85 (but also a fair bit more expensive in Qld at least).




Quote:
Originally Posted by Mim View Post
@steve99 & @PMok

Thanks both! Once my warranty is out I'm looking to do headers and a tune so will consider going that one step further and install a flex fuel kit. This would still be a year off though. Who knows e85 might spread to nearer stations by then.

I have a Caltex at the bottom of my street and I know they do E85 so here's hoping!
cuddefred is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cuddefred For This Useful Post:
Mim (01-03-2016)
Old 01-03-2016, 07:46 PM   #8
Mim
Senior Member
 
Mim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Drives: MY11 Maxima 350st, MY15 BRZ
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 534
Thanks: 304
Thanked 341 Times in 184 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuddefred View Post
Just for reference, remember that here in Oz the Caltex is flex-fuel and variable between about E60 and E85 depending on the time of year etc., while United is a guaranteed minimum E85 (but also a fair bit more expensive in Qld at least).
That's an excellent tip! I do have a United roughly the same distance away from me. I imagine the balance would simply change to more petrol content then and improve economy so I guess that's not all that bad with the Caltex fuel.
__________________
MY15 CWP A/T BRZ | Leather heated seats | STI CAI filter, A/T leather shifter, strut brace, V-brace, draw stiffener, battery tie down, Radiator cap, Oil cap, push start button | TRD door stabilizer | YoSpeed STI console garnish | Pioneer AVIC-F70DAB + Rev-camera, TS-WX710A sub | JL speakers, Amp | TOMS' Clear Brake Lights | Cusco 4.556 FD | Driveshaft Shop aluminum shaft | Tein FlexZ, EDFC AP+GPS | Crawford BPB
Mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:20 PM   #9
steve99
Senior Member
 
steve99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Drives: FT86
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,631
Thanks: 980
Thanked 4,732 Times in 2,832 Posts
Mentioned: 524 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mim View Post
That's an excellent tip! I do have a United roughly the same distance away from me. I imagine the balance would simply change to more petrol content then and improve economy so I guess that's not all that bad with the Caltex fuel.
Yes caltex is good enough for NA cars and you will likely get a bit better economy on caltex due lower ethanol content.

United is good stuff but probably overkill for NA, its very consisestent almost E90, great for turbo guys.

united is about $1.30 and clatex eflex arround $1.10.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Mim (01-04-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 01:13 PM   #10
kch
Senior Misanthrope
 
kch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,489
Thanks: 1,742
Thanked 1,166 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mim View Post
Also whether that benefit is still worth chasing on an N/A car over a boosted one?
I'm NA with full exhaust and E85. The difference between E85 and petrol is noticeable, but not mind blowing. If you have a convenient supply, then by all means go for it. But I wouldn't go too far out of my way for E85 while NA.
kch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kch For This Useful Post:
Mim (01-04-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 05:04 PM   #11
Mim
Senior Member
 
Mim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Drives: MY11 Maxima 350st, MY15 BRZ
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 534
Thanks: 304
Thanked 341 Times in 184 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kch View Post
I'm NA with full exhaust and E85. The difference between E85 and petrol is noticeable, but not mind blowing. If you have a convenient supply, then by all means go for it. But I wouldn't go too far out of my way for E85 while NA.
In the video there was a fair degree of variation in the relative consumption of 85 vs regular fuel. If I recall there was from 40% all the way down to the V8 super cars segment mentioning 30%.

Seeing as both you and the supercars are tuned and seeing as you have my desired mods I'd love to hear what you believe the actual % difference really is in our cars.

From what I read a good custom tune, even on an otherwise stock car, will improve fuel consumption to some degree, but having owned a few V8's in the past, driving style can have quite the adverse impact.

I might add that fuel economy is of no concern to me in any way. My angle is to gauge how often I would need to fill up relative to now which is around every 16-18 day's. I only do a round trip of 22km to work and back each day.
__________________
MY15 CWP A/T BRZ | Leather heated seats | STI CAI filter, A/T leather shifter, strut brace, V-brace, draw stiffener, battery tie down, Radiator cap, Oil cap, push start button | TRD door stabilizer | YoSpeed STI console garnish | Pioneer AVIC-F70DAB + Rev-camera, TS-WX710A sub | JL speakers, Amp | TOMS' Clear Brake Lights | Cusco 4.556 FD | Driveshaft Shop aluminum shaft | Tein FlexZ, EDFC AP+GPS | Crawford BPB

Last edited by Mim; 01-04-2016 at 05:30 PM.
Mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 05:37 PM   #12
kch
Senior Misanthrope
 
kch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,489
Thanks: 1,742
Thanked 1,166 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mim View Post
In the video there was a fair degree of variation in the relative consumption of 85 vs regular fuel. If I recall there was from 40% all the way down to the V8 super cars segment mentioning 30%.

Seeing as both you and the supercars are tuned and seeing as you have my desired mods I'd love to hear what you believe the actual % difference really is in our cars.

From what I read a good custom tune, even on an otherwise stock car, will improve fuel consumption to some degree, but having owned a few V8's in the past, driving style can have quite the adverse impact.

I might add that fuel economy is of no concern to me in any way. My angle is to gauge how often I would need to fill up relative to now which is around every 16-18 day's. I only do a round trip of 22km to work and back each day.
On road trips, driving at a sustained 83mph (133kph), I can eke out around 300 miles (480km) on a tank. I might be able to go a bit further, but I don't let the low fuel light come on.

With purely city driving, I only get about 200 miles (320km) before I feel I need to refuel, but that's with a pretty heavy foot. (Edit: not purely city, but mixed use. even if you're just driving around town you probably have to get on a highway here in Houston)
kch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kch For This Useful Post:
Mim (01-04-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 05:39 PM   #13
steve99
Senior Member
 
steve99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Drives: FT86
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,631
Thanks: 980
Thanked 4,732 Times in 2,832 Posts
Mentioned: 524 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mim View Post
In the video there was a fair degree of variation in the relative consumption of 85 vs regular fuel. If I recall there was from 40% all the way down to the V8 super cars segment mentioning 30%.

Seeing as both you and the supercars are tuned and seeing as you have my desired mods I'd love to hear what you believe the actual % difference really is in our cars.

From what I read a good custom tune, even on an otherwise stock car, will improve fuel consumption to some degree, but having owned a few V8's in the past, driving style can have quite the adverse impact.

I might add that fuel economy is of no concern to me in any way. My angle is to gauge how often I would need to fill up relative to now which is around every 16-18 day's. I only do a round trip of 22km to work and back each day.
Arround town you will get about 10 L\100km on e85 as oposed to about 8 on petrol if your driving non agressivly

found its about 25% extra usage on average over petrol

you will need to make changes to the oft tune as per @Wayno ,s thread to achieve that on oft tunes
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Mim (01-04-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 06:47 PM   #14
Teseo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Drives: frs
Location: Gunsai
Posts: 4,276
Thanks: 5,706
Thanked 2,498 Times in 1,525 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
As long e85 is more cheap than pump gas 93 oct, im on it
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fr-s Q & A Video Ankit Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum 3 01-19-2015 03:28 PM
New Video! Bigedb Arizona 12 12-24-2014 12:01 PM
One of my favorite auto video sites post up a beautiful classic GTO Ferrari video... Vracer111 Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions 3 05-04-2014 03:42 PM
New Spy video Matador Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum 7 01-05-2010 11:47 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.