follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Xero Limit
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-29-2015, 07:11 AM   #1
LS1M
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Drives: 2015 BRZ
Location: Texas
Posts: 97
Thanks: 18
Thanked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Break-in time before FI?

I've been babying my car since new and will be doing my first oil change at 1000 miles soon. How long should I wait before installing a supercharger? I was thinking oil change at 1000, then normal driving, change oil at 5000 and then do the install. Sound about right?


Thanks!
-Mark
LS1M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:46 AM   #2
2016 Camaro SS
Senior Member
 
2016 Camaro SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Drives: Fast
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 790
Thanks: 114
Thanked 406 Times in 241 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1M View Post
I've been babying my car since new and will be doing my first oil change at 1000 miles soon. How long should I wait before installing a supercharger? I was thinking oil change at 1000, then normal driving, change oil at 5000 and then do the install. Sound about right?


Thanks!
-Mark
You can do it whenever. I would say after the 1,000 mile mark, change to a heavier weight oil and do the install. Either way, it's going to break in normally and get rid of the metal bits. I would definitely put on the supercharger and have fun with it.
2016 Camaro SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:33 AM   #3
protpibe
Senior Member
 
protpibe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Drives: 4-Runner Sport - 13' BRZ SportTech
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,395
Thanks: 253
Thanked 836 Times in 459 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I boosted mine at about 1800km and it's fine (currently at 22,000).

Modern engines don't need a formal "break in" period l iike they did way back in the day.
__________________
Top Tier Imports - Check out my build journal HERE
protpibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:35 AM   #4
LS1M
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Drives: 2015 BRZ
Location: Texas
Posts: 97
Thanks: 18
Thanked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
OK sooner rather than later then. Thx!
LS1M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:56 AM   #5
cnk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: '13 DGM BRZ Limited
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,196
Thanks: 59
Thanked 540 Times in 334 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I would drive it until you feel comfortable that there are no issues with the car stock. Once you modify it, dealing with the dealer with any warranty claims can be hit or miss.
cnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 12:39 PM   #6
LS1M
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Drives: 2015 BRZ
Location: Texas
Posts: 97
Thanks: 18
Thanked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I've pretty much resolved to forego the factory warranty when I boost it. At least for the drivetrain. I do have a really good dealership, though. They're brand new & right near the house, but if I get engine knock or oil blowby, I can't blame them for pointing to the blower as the culprit. I would.

I had the money for a new Mustang and bought this car instead, with enough $ left over to get a kit. Still deciding which one - down to either the JRSC or Vortech/OFT - but this money is burning a hole in my pocket...
LS1M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 12:58 PM   #7
vividracing
 
vividracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Posts: 2,593
Thanks: 491
Thanked 1,065 Times in 617 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1M View Post
I've pretty much resolved to forego the factory warranty when I boost it. At least for the drivetrain. I do have a really good dealership, though. They're brand new & right near the house, but if I get engine knock or oil blowby, I can't blame them for pointing to the blower as the culprit. I would.

I had the money for a new Mustang and bought this car instead, with enough $ left over to get a kit. Still deciding which one - down to either the JRSC or Vortech/OFT - but this money is burning a hole in my pocket...
The Subaru dealership I went to for my warranty thought my car was so cool, they sell BRZ's but they didn't often get to see one modified like mine was and all the service guys and techs asked me about stuff. If you get it supercharged, your engine warranty is pretty much scrapped but doesn't mean they can't warranty other stuff. I had an aftermarket header, tune, and exhaust and they didn't care, cause of the aformentioned coolness of it. Haha

Have you considered the Cosworth Supercharger? The JRSC and Vortech are centrifugal types while the Cosworth is a twin screw. The Cosworth gets more power

-RyanG
vividracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 01:21 PM   #8
LS1M
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Drives: 2015 BRZ
Location: Texas
Posts: 97
Thanks: 18
Thanked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
No I hadn't. The numbers I saw for innovative looked low so I figured a twin screw wasn't a good match. How much will a Cosworth net me, all else being stock?
LS1M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 02:32 PM   #9
TylerLieberman
Senior Member
 
TylerLieberman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Drives: '20 Hakone 86 & '17 Tacoma TRD
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,141
Thanks: 416
Thanked 2,398 Times in 1,182 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
You should've drove the car off the dealer lot straight to your garage to install the supercharger. Now that you've waited, the engine will need all gaskets replaced and all fluids changed, including the headlights.

If you install that supercharger now, the car is pretty much going to be totalled at that point.
__________________
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
gramicci101 (04-29-2015), weederr33 (04-29-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 02:38 PM   #10
vividracing
 
vividracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Posts: 2,593
Thanks: 491
Thanked 1,065 Times in 617 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1M View Post
No I hadn't. The numbers I saw for innovative looked low so I figured a twin screw wasn't a good match. How much will a Cosworth net me, all else being stock?
The Innovate system was basically the first generation of superchargers for the FA20 engine, and there have been lots of advancements since then. The Cosworth system has a specifically designed intake manifold for the system. The down side being it costs a bit more than the other systems you mentioned because of the extra engineering.

We actually have the Cosworth ready to ship and other systems including the Vortech, HKS, and Kraft Werks, see here: Vivid FA20 Superchargers

Here's our blog post about the Cosworth System: Vividracing Blog - Cosworth.

On the bottom of the blog post shows the dyno of the system and it's insane gains over stock.

If you were seriously interested in chatting about getting a system, Jay can help you out and get you a really good end of the month deal for it.

Would you like him to PM you?

-RyanG

Last edited by vividracing; 04-29-2015 at 02:53 PM.
vividracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 03:02 PM   #11
R3NIK
Senior Member
 
R3NIK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Drives: 2013 FR-S/C
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 345
Thanks: 98
Thanked 148 Times in 90 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vividracing View Post
The Innovate system was basically the first generation of superchargers for the FA20 engine, and there have been lots of advancements since then. The Cosworth system has a specifically designed intake manifold for the system. The down side being it costs a bit more than the other systems you mentioned because of the extra engineering.

We actually have the Cosworth ready to ship and other systems including the Vortech, HKS, and Kraft Werks, see here: Vivid FA20 Superchargers

Here's our blog post about the Cosworth System: Vividracing Blog - Cosworth.

On the bottom of the blog post shows the dyno of the system and it's insane gains over stock.

If you were seriously interested in chatting about getting a system, Jay can help you out and get you a really good end of the month deal for it.

Would you like him to PM you?

-RyanG
As for the two twinscrew systems out there, the Cosworth does have the nice twin intercoolers in the intake manifold, but the Sprintex also has a custom manifold and laminova intercooler for $4700 vs $6500+ (I'm guessing) for the Cosworth.
I'm eager to see real world dyno charts on the two systems to see what the premium price gives (The VR hosted dyno shows crank horsepower?). If I was a betting man, I'd put the JRSC as still being the best $/hp ratio.
__________________
R3NIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 03:48 PM   #12
LS1M
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Drives: 2015 BRZ
Location: Texas
Posts: 97
Thanks: 18
Thanked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
You should've drove
*driven*
LS1M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 03:58 PM   #13
CSG Mike
 
CSG Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: S2000 CR
Location: Orange County
Posts: 12,953
Thanks: 8,072
Thanked 12,504 Times in 5,996 Posts
Mentioned: 877 Post(s)
Tagged: 13 Thread(s)
We boosted with less than 1000 miles on the clock on our 2014 BRZ.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:15 AM   #14
LS1M
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Drives: 2015 BRZ
Location: Texas
Posts: 97
Thanks: 18
Thanked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What about the trans/diff? I want to switch to Motul 300 75w90 (heard a lot of good things about it here) but not sure if the factory fill has any breakin additives
LS1M is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Break In New FRS Lunatic Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) 43 08-22-2014 03:30 PM
Tax return time = WHEEL CLEARANCE TIME from Gram Lights and Yokohama vividracing Wheels and Tires 4 04-04-2014 02:46 PM
Break in Y/N ? FiRStscion Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) 83 07-26-2013 12:41 PM
Break in ipothas Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 11 10-21-2012 04:41 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.