follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 06-05-2020, 04:00 PM   #281
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeresMyMind View Post
yes. you can just run a basic relay setup for this.

wires from battery to relay then to fog lights. the trigger wire from the oem running light to the relay.

-B

Thanks, you don’t think the DRL circuit can handle a 9W fog light? I’m not keeping the stock DRL strips.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 11:38 PM   #282
KAR

Drives: Whiteout 6spd
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaXx View Post
I did this with a brz w stock fogs. Tj hunt has a video and I did EXACTLY what he did in the video and it's one of the favorite thing of my car now. I have the C lights on and the fog lights on at the same time. Ie: fogs are on with running lights. The thumbnail of the video says something like "dealerships hate him!"
Thanks let me search this... but if you have the link please send itover
KAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:36 PM   #283
Blessed_frs

Drives: Blessed (idk it’s black?)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Busted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
When you say DRL, do you mean the boomerangs, and if so then how was the boomerang operating normally? Was it always on, or did they come on with the parking lights only, or did they come on with the headlights only, or did they come on with the parking lights or headlights, but not when the stalk is turned to Off? And now it never comes on, right?

I can only imagine that there is a short or damage to the circuit board.

The headlights really aren't designed for LED headlight bulbs, as you now realize, so have you removed the ones you bought and put back on the cap?
Damn this was a while ago, ended up baking them and when opening found out a bunch of wires were corroded and the DLR wire had come out completely lol.
Blessed_frs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 09:12 AM   #284
CrowsFeast

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport-Tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
They are LED, so there are no replaceable bulbs. You would likely have to try to unglue the DRL lens from the backing then desolder the LED's from a circuit board then solder new ones on.

It seems that most people paint theirs to get the yellow look. Laminex film will probably have a hard time wrapping around the curved parts of the lens.
Can you recommend a brand of paint and place to get it? I'm having a hard time finding yellow tint spray paint that's not $50+ for a tiny can...
CrowsFeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 12:10 PM   #285
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowsFeast View Post
Can you recommend a brand of paint and place to get it? I'm having a hard time finding yellow tint spray paint that's not $50+ for a tiny can...
Sorry, I don't have any recommendations. I would have to google search just the same as you.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:58 AM   #286
notoriousrous

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ
Hi all,

Looking for some help on a 2015 BRZ fog light install. I installed the factory fog light stalk and verified that everything is working correctly at the connector, but, I have a couple questions. The connector (shown below) has 3 wires. The R/W wire, which is the fog light wire, a black wire for ground, and a brown wire which I have no idea what it does. So my two questions:
1. Does anyone know what the brown wire is for? I can't find it anywhere in the wiring diagram.
2. Does anyone know what the P/N is of that connector and/or it's mate? I'd prefer not to cut into the harness if I don't have to.

https://imgur.com/a/aPjz01l

notoriousrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:03 PM   #287
Tirewarmer

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
High Beams on with Fog Lights 2013 BRZ

Just installed a set of Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro fog lights to light up directly in front of and on both sides of the car. I have an early morning hour long commute on 55 mph two lane back roads that are loaded with deer. Hit one a few weeks back causing almost $5000 of damage and would rather not do that again.

I see hardly any other cars on the road during the ride. Before upgrading my headlight bulbs, going to a clear lenses, trying D2 bulbs and ballasts etc., I'd like to be able to keep my high beams on along with the fogs to illuminate both far and near and wide when there is not other traffic anywhere in sight.

Is there an easy way to do this like with older VWs where you can jumper a relay to keep the fog lights from turning off when the high beams go on?

Last edited by Tirewarmer; 09-22-2020 at 06:52 AM.
Tirewarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 02:58 PM   #288
HeresMyMind

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirewarmer View Post
Just installed a set of Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro fog lights to light up directly in front of and on both sides of the car. I have an early morning hour long commute on 55 mph two lane back roads that are loaded with deer. Hit one a few weeks back causing almost $5000 of damage and would rather not do that again.

I see hardly any other cars on the road during the ride. Before upgrading my headlight bulbs, going to a clear lenses, trying D2 bulbs and ballasts etc., I'd like to be able to keep my high beams on along with the fogs to illuminate both far and near and wide when there is not other traffic anywhere in sight.

Is there an easy way to do this like with older VWs where you can jumper a relay to keep the fog lights from turning off when the high beams go on?
there is no easy way to do it like older cars.

the best thing you can do is to run a separate wire harness with relay that you set to your running light circuit. then install a switch on that line.

-B
HeresMyMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 04:58 PM   #289
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriousrous View Post
Hi all,

Looking for some help on a 2015 BRZ fog light install. I installed the factory fog light stalk and verified that everything is working correctly at the connector, but, I have a couple questions. The connector (shown below) has 3 wires. The R/W wire, which is the fog light wire, a black wire for ground, and a brown wire which I have no idea what it does. So my two questions:
1. Does anyone know what the brown wire is for? I can't find it anywhere in the wiring diagram.
2. Does anyone know what the P/N is of that connector and/or it's mate? I'd prefer not to cut into the harness if I don't have to.

https://imgur.com/a/aPjz01l

Does it go anywhere/have a mate or it it just open like that?

You can source them off of FRS's, which have them as part of the turn signal harness. The four wires populated on the FRS are: 1. Signal Blinker Power, 2. Signal Running Power, 3. Fog Power, 4. Ground
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 10:54 AM   #290
Grrrly

Drives: 2017 86 SE Halo
Fog light recommendations for 2017 86?

Hi gang, I just recently got a 2017 86 860. My other vehicle is an Xterra, in which I have installed Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro yellow LED pods. Has anyone installed these on an 86? I know they fit in older BRZs ... or have any recommendations for any plug and play/easily installed fog lights of similar quality?

Thanks in advance!
Grrrly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 04:14 AM   #291
Outlander

Drives: 2013 scion frs
I have 2013 US FRS no OEM fog lights. I bought Winjet Fog light kit. Everything under the hood is fine. I am getting stuck on the hookup up the Red power line. Getting various answers and just looking for one that is not going to turn on the ejector seat..... So you got the Yellow Wire coming in from the engine bay Via Firewall. The yellow wire connects to the harness which has 3 wires. Ground, Red Power, and connector to a supplied dash button. The question is where is the best place to put the Red wire. Ie I see videos with it spliced into a Green wire, I see videos with it under the fuse, I see a video with it going to a purple wire. In this video
he tries two solutions under the 15 amp fuse and Cutting into an unknown green Accessory wire. Could you use this unused harness that is taped up in by internal fuse section? See the picture below. Don't really want to use supplied T-Clip, I don't want to wrap the cable under a fuse.
I don't want to use a Fuse-Tap unless this is the best option and if so where to. because then I will need a new taller fuse cover printed out.

If I made you confused I am sorry. Let me know what I can do to sort out any questions.
Outlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 01:18 PM   #292
Autoxer62

Drives: 2020 Hakone
The car is a 2020 Hakone, it has the factory fog lights. Before they get broken at an autocross I'm thinking I want to remove the stock fog lights and put something else in that's less expensive to replace and hopefully more useful.

My primary question is do the 86 fog lights interchange with the BRZ/FRS? I find there are a lot of parts out there that haven't had the listings updated, so it's easier to look up a BRZ or FRS.

I think after that what I want to do is wire them with an on/off switch tied into the parking light position instead of the factory headlight on/high beam off setup, I think that would be far more useful.

Thanks for any tips.

--Bryan
Old 06-21-2021, 01:14 AM   #293
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways

Drives: 2016 Toyota FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlander View Post
I have 2013 US FRS no OEM fog lights. I bought Winjet Fog light kit. Everything under the hood is fine. I am getting stuck on the hookup up the Red power line....
Ok, apologies in advance that I'm not likely going to be as helpful as I could be here. I have a similar aftermarket kit to the Winjet one that I installed with a buddy some months back. We did not do that fuse tap BS, and I recommend you do not do that because it's really just not safe, and they shouldn't be telling people to do that in the instructions.

I recall (poorly) that we dropped the dash panel to look around for wires that would have power when the key was turned to On because I wanted the fogs to have power available any time the car was on. I have an OEM switch so I can turn them on and off from there, but when they're switched "on" they still only come on when the low beams are on. Anyway, I believe we used a harness in the lower left corner of the dash that had a wire (I want to say it was purple), that had key-on power going to it, and that was what we spliced into.

It's the middle of the night right now but I'm going to try to take a look in there during the day so I can verify that my memory of that job isn't total crap right now. I'll correct anything I need to from the above if I get eyes on the wires.
Old 06-21-2021, 01:33 AM   #294
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways

Drives: 2016 Toyota FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoxer62 View Post
The car is a 2020 Hakone, it has the factory fog lights. Before they get broken at an autocross I'm thinking I want to remove the stock fog lights and put something else in that's less expensive to replace and hopefully more useful.

My primary question is do the 86 fog lights interchange with the BRZ/FRS? I find there are a lot of parts out there that haven't had the listings updated, so it's easier to look up a BRZ or FRS.

I think after that what I want to do is wire them with an on/off switch tied into the parking light position instead of the factory headlight on/high beam off setup, I think that would be far more useful.

Thanks for any tips.

--Bryan
The 2017+ cars have different and smaller fog lights compared to the older FRS and BRZ that had large, round incandescent bulb housings, so they are not interchangeable for you.

The newer style fog lights are both smaller and higher up on the nose, with a much more protective piece of plastic surrounding them than the old style lights that are very low and close to the ground. I think your chances of breaking one are much, much lower than the big and low bullseyes the older cars have. If something manages to take out your fog light, you'll probably have a bigger problem and some surrounding damage to go along with it.

That said (and knock on wood), my fog lights have been fine and they're fast approaching being on there for a year. I drive daily on the highway, winter included, and I do autocross, so there is no shortage of debris coming at my car's nose on any given day. I do have a clear protective film placed over the lights that should help contain the pieces if it ever does get hit and break, and keeps the lenses from getting beat up by pebbles and bugs otherwise. That's the only real recommendation I can give you for the fogs on your car...throw a good quality clear film over them and don't worry too much about them. If you still are concerned during autocross or tracking, there's always painter's tape.
Attached Images

Last edited by Overdrive; 06-21-2021 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Because pictures help
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote