follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > FR-S & 86 Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum

FR-S & 86 Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum All photos, videos and other media related to the Scion FR-S and Toyota 86

User Tag List

Old 07-05-2016, 03:37 AM   #15
Fab Racing

Drives: 2013 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post
Both Canada and the US use AKI for Octane Ratings, so 94 octane should be 94 octane. Not sure what's up with your fuel that's causing it to pull timing, but have you tried changing fuel stations?
I have tried Petrocanada and chevron 94 so far with the same results.
Fab Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:39 AM   #16
Fab Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpedo View Post
The worry for me is the separationoif the Meth and the effect that has on AFRs. Have you tried this stuff from Can Tire?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/no...1698p.html#srp

I find it works really well. Just slightly more expensive and keeps my IAM pinned at 1.0. I run the OFT as well.
I'll give it a try, thanks.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:44 AM   #17
Fab Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
I am going to say that is bullshit. If the fuel didn't meet the standards for knock correction, petroleum companies would have huge liability when cars tuned for the claimed octane ratings sustained damage in huge numbers.

I have heard octane boosters have negligible effect on increasing octane. Unless you want to dump 10 bottles in the tank.

It is unfortunate that 94 in Ontario is 15% ethanol due to lower mileage. In BC Husky has 94 without ethanol. Perhaps that's the stuff Fab Racing is referring to since he is in BC.
Husky gas stations are few and far between where I live. You have a lot of trust in the gas companies and you might be right but I am not alone in thinking that the gas is different depending on what station your at and where you are in the country.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:19 PM   #18
G-awesome

Drives: 2015 Firestorm Scion FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I'm not a pro-tuner but I have been refining the oft stg2 tunes lately to suit my build with a catted jdl uel header. I've tested both shell 91oct and chevron 94oct extensively and I came to the conclusion that chevron 94oct is worse than shell 91oct.

I got my shell 91oct tune to a point where my IAM is stable and it's free of flkc greater than 1 degrees. Right now, I'm in the final stages of my 93oct tune and I pretty much had to pull enough timing in the high engine load/high rpm range that it's now roughly a degree lower than the 91oct ignition timing which is rather disappointing.

Instead of using methyl hydrate, I dumped a bottle of royal purple octane booster that I got from crappy tire and it seems to stabilize the knock with my current 93 tune. I'm pretty much at the point where I'm uncomfortable pulling any more timing since I'll probably end up detuning the car. For the price to octane level rating, chevron 94 isn't really worth the money anymore. I'm sticking with Shell 91 from now on.
G-awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:19 PM   #19
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Shouldn't you use an AEM injection system with this?
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:50 PM   #20
Tokay444
Anti stance.

Drives: 17 White 860. RCE Tarmac 2. RE-71RS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post
Shouldn't you use an AEM injection system with this?
Through the direct injection system, methanol has an effective octane rating of 180.
Tokay444 is offline   Reply With Quote