follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 05-20-2016, 02:00 AM   #939
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Thanks @WNDSRFR for the diagram, helps clear up the circuitry. I was not aware that one dump cable was feeding while the other was receiving and the charging makes more sense. Does the voltmeter read the voltage of the dump pack or something else in the controller?

I've tried trickle charging the batteries but doesn't seem like that is the issue. Most of the signs point to no dump pack/bad dump connection. I'll see if I can tighten the contacts in the large dump wires in case they have come lose internally.

I might take off the whole system and reinstall it, I feel like I've tried everything at this point:
- Swapped for new dump batteries (this one helped as before I couldn't even go WOT)
- trickle charged dump batteries
- Tightened all nut connections
- Went back to WOT switch from Procede
- Replaced Starter Battery
- Crimped 3 blower connections.
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads

Last edited by l0aded; 05-20-2016 at 02:56 AM.
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:32 AM   #940
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Sorry for the confusion but I think you misread the diagram. The dump cables shown are the negative and positive cables. The dump packs are either being charged or discharged at any one time.
Which brings up a question.
Why are there negative cables anyway? Couldn't the dump packs just be grounded to the car chassis? This would really help those who want to adapt to RHD.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:56 AM   #941
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by l0aded View Post
Thanks @WNDSRFR for the diagram, helps clear up the circuitry. I was not aware that one dump cable was feeding while the other was receiving and the charging makes more sense. Does the voltmeter read the voltage of the dump pack or something else in the controller?

I've tried trickle charging the batteries but doesn't seem like that is the issue. Most of the signs point to no dump pack/bad dump connection. I'll see if I can tighten the contacts in the large dump wires in case they have come lose internally.

I might take off the whole system and reinstall it, I feel like I've tried everything at this point:
- Swapped for new dump batteries (this one helped as before I couldn't even go WOT)

Have you tried cleaning the contacts ?

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 12:23 PM   #942
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quote:

When i had my issue it was that the large red connector was disconnected. If you have a issue with the connector that will give you the symptoms you are observing.
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 12:26 PM   #943
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
When i had my issue it was that the large red connector was disconnected. If you have a issue with the connector that will give you the symptoms you are observing.
I believe there is also a fuse in the red connector if im not mistaken, maybe you tripped the fuse?
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fenton For This Useful Post:
l0aded (05-20-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 05:02 PM   #944
l0aded
Addicted

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
I believe there is also a fuse in the red connector if im not mistaken, maybe you tripped the fuse?
I'll take a look. Do you know if this connector can be bought off the shelf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
Have you tried cleaning the contacts ?
I have not, should I just use alcohol and q-tips?
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
Old 05-20-2016, 05:03 PM   #945
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
I'll take a look. Do you know if this connector can be bought off the shelf?

I have not, should I just use alcohol and q-tips?

I would use sandpaper.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
The Following User Says Thank You to Sojhinn For This Useful Post:
l0aded (05-20-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 07:14 PM   #946
l0aded
Addicted

Garage
Just want to throw out there how much I appreciate everyone selflessly helping me debug the situation. I love this micro-community within the forums.
The Following User Says Thank You to l0aded For This Useful Post:
Sojhinn (05-20-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 10:10 PM   #947
Gums

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
Why are there negative cables anyway? Couldn't the dump packs just be grounded to the car chassis? This would really help those who want to adapt to RHD.
My guess is that the negative cables give a better overall connection rather than relying on the car structure.

RHD isn't really an issue, dump and controller battery cables are longer (can increase the gauge of the dump cables to reduce voltage loss) some other wires are shorter.
Attached Images

Gums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:32 AM   #948
WNDSRFR

Quote:
Can you elaborate on this? The failure mode sounds the same as mine.
I tightened all the nuts and connections to the battery which were all very loose. Seemed seemed to help but only slightly.

Can you check my understanding of the ESC controller?
The ESC is connected to the starter battery terminals with 2 connectors. These connections, I assume, draw energy from the starter battery and feed it into to the 2 Dump batteries (when ESC is not active). This feeding to dump battery is done through the thick gauge wires with heavy duty connections which also draw energy from the dump pack batteries to feed to the blower.

The voltmeter reads the voltage on the 12V dump batteries, which wired in series result in 28.3V when charged. Wouldn't the ESC fail to read the 28.X voltage and not function at all if it wasn't using the 2 dump batteries? The failure I am experience seems like the dump batteries are only being charged to a certain point and stopping which is resulting in only a few seconds of WOT before voltage dropping too. Was this what you experienced on the dyno?

Do you think an aux charger would help? How do I order one?

The metal connections on the thick gauge wire seem offset and pretty worn, could this be an issue? Picture attached.

I will try slow charging the batteries to bring them back to 100% and see if that helps. Maybe they have been low too long and the controller isn't charging them past a point.

Thanks in advance.
I agree with Fenton on this. I'll bet it's the big red connector causing your issues. The reason is this: The two large cables connected by this connector are what both charge the dump packs and discharge them. And it seems you're doing neither. Do the contacts look arced? If you are making slight contact then these are exactly the symptoms you would expect to see.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:40 AM   #949
l0aded
Addicted

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
I agree with Fenton on this. I'll bet it's the big red connector causing your issues. The reason is this: The two large cables connected by this connector are what both charge the dump packs and discharge them. And it seems you're doing neither. Do the contacts look arced? If you are making slight contact then these are exactly the symptoms you would expect to see.
I think this is right. Everytime I mess with the battery the ESC performance seems to change, sometimes better and sometimes worse. I assume this behavior is due to the dump cables.

My cables were twisted for awhile and when I untwisted them the connection seemed to have gotten worse; I can no longer even go WOT again x_X. I posted a picture of my dump connections a few posts back. There is some signs of wear and maybe burn: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=932

Gonna try and clean them again tomorrow and maybe look into buying a new dump cable or resoldering the SB50? connections
Old 05-25-2016, 09:16 AM   #950
WNDSRFR

Here's a good video.http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106172
Old 05-25-2016, 04:37 PM   #951
Fab Racing

Drives: 2013 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Replacing the starter battery in my system.

Just recently replaced my starter bat in my system after 1 year and Sojhinn suggested heat might be the

cause of it's early death. Perhaps the dump batteries also need some heat insulation?
Fab Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 04:56 PM   #952
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab Racing View Post
Just recently replaced my starter bat in my system after 1 year and Sojhinn suggested heat might be the

cause of it's early death. Perhaps the dump batteries also need some heat insulation?

I'm switching out my batteries to the new standard: Odyssey 680's for all three. And I made sure to get the metal jacket on all of them just in case.

I'm wondering if only the starter battery needs it because the header is right below it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Installed Mods: