follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
Sam Strano

Old 01-30-2020, 10:36 AM   #4817
Mball19

Drives: Toyota 86 TRD/SE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
1. Yes. I have no experience with the Sachs, but the stock struts/shocks are very good. I would pick the Konis over the Cuscos and Sachs, but I still think the stocks are really good. I'm on the CS-legal MCS 2WNR set-up which are a different level of cost/performance. I don't know the cost of the Sachs, but I suspect they will be okay.
2. It depends on driving style and other set up choices. I am running both TRD bars and am content with it. I have previously run a 25mm Hotchkis and 19mm Perrin with success. I will eventually switch to the Karcepts trick bar, but I think you will be fine with the 22mm on soft.
3. Max camber, very slight toe out in front, 0 toe or very slight toe in in the rear.

I'm also switching back to CS this year, so let's see if we can surprise some NDs and S2ks!

I have my TRD springs and bars installed. I am getting it aligned on Saturday. My alignment plan, based on your suggestion is max front negative camber, 1/8" toe out and matching the front camber in the rear with 0 toe. I'll see how it goes.

I am signed up for the Dixie tour. So far I am the only car in CS with a fixed roof.
Mball19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mball19 For This Useful Post:
Clutch Dog (01-30-2020)
Old 02-07-2020, 01:54 PM   #4818
Jrwilliams

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mball19 View Post
I have my TRD springs and bars installed. I am getting it aligned on Saturday. My alignment plan, based on your suggestion is max front negative camber, 1/8" toe out and matching the front camber in the rear with 0 toe. I'll see how it goes.

I am signed up for the Dixie tour. So far I am the only car in CS with a fixed roof.
I just picked up a 17' BRZ non PP in november. I used to autoX my camaro but I'll be running in DS class. Got some RS4's on the way, OEM crash bolts but beyond that I am just gunna run the car flat out as is and see where I think it needs anything. Probably get a factionfab catback exhaust. They sound good and only weight 17lbs!
Jrwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 03:31 PM   #4819
BigTuna

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrwilliams View Post
I just picked up a 17' BRZ non PP in november. I used to autoX my camaro but I'll be running in DS class. Got some RS4's on the way, OEM crash bolts but beyond that I am just gunna run the car flat out as is and see where I think it needs anything. Probably get a factionfab catback exhaust. They sound good and only weight 17lbs!
BRZ performance packs are in CS, not DS.
Old 02-08-2020, 04:22 PM   #4820
nico_rsx

Drives: BRZ 2017 Pure Red, MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTuna View Post
BRZ performance packs are in CS, not DS.

That's why he said "non PP"
nico_rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 01:30 PM   #4821
BigTuna

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by nico_rsx View Post
That's why he said "non PP"

That'll teach me to not read too fast.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:54 AM   #4822
Scabpicker

Drives: 2019 BRZ with PP
Had my first autocross in the BRZ this weekend, and it was my first autocross in a RWD vehicle. Running in C Street, bone stock down to the tires.

It rained early, so the first group kind of dried out the track, and left the very heavily used TMS bus lot with it's oil/tire deposits with a surface like ice for the second group. Jeebus, never seen this car so tail happy. After my second run, I just shifted short out of first as soon as traction felt sketchy at the rear to keep myself from just completely doing a burnout up to the rev limiter.

On my first run, I totally spun, but kept myself from grabbing cones or adding myself to the legion of DNFs that morning. But it was appropriately a 72 second run when the FTD was already 48 seconds. I got progressively more in control of the thing, bringing my runs down to 61, 56, 55 and finally a 52. I was still 6/6 in C Street, and basically 1.5 seconds behind the slowest Miata in the class, but at the end of the day I had beat an STX prepped twin on raw time, and beat another twin on PAX. So I was almost happy with my first outing in it considering my prep level.

I had a nice coach with a Nationals jacket on my 56 second run. Other than she thought I was easy on the throttle because she was in the car (it wasn't because of her, it was because I totally spun on my first run and was gun shy), she just thought I needed to be easier with the steering inputs. And get some tires. She asked "So what's the story with the tires?", when she offered to coach my run. I answered "They're the stock Primacy HPs". "Oh, you know what your problem is, then." I'll probably run the stockers until I'm within a clean second of the next fastest car in my class, or they just die, whichever comes first.

Either way, the car is a glorious load of fun in that environment. Coming from FWD in the sport, it's a very different struggle.
Scabpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 03:45 PM   #4823
Mball19

I am looking at sway bar endlinks now that I have my TRD bars installed. Since the rules allow replacement of both sway bars. Can I swap front and rear endlinks to heim-jointed adjustable links or can I only swap one end from OEM style?
Old 02-26-2020, 04:00 PM   #4824
steverife

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I am looking at sway bar endlinks now that I have my TRD bars installed. Since the rules allow replacement of both sway bars. Can I swap front and rear endlinks to heim-jointed adjustable links or can I only swap one end from OEM style?
It gets a little weird in that the TRD conversion (which entails the swapping of both bars) is permitted in stock and classed differently...

...but the rules only allow the swapping of one bar, and thus only changing end links on one end.
steverife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:07 AM   #4825
Mball19

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverife View Post
It gets a little weird in that the TRD conversion (which entails the swapping of both bars) is permitted in stock and classed differently...

...but the rules only allow the swapping of one bar, and thus only changing end links on one end.
That is what I was assuming. I will probably replace the fronts to account for the TRD springs. Is there a preferred brand? I have looked at RacerX, SuperPro, Whiteline, and SPL.
Old 02-27-2020, 01:55 PM   #4826
TrqlessWonder

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Quote:
That is what I was assuming. I will probably replace the fronts to account for the TRD springs. Is there a preferred brand? I have looked at RacerX, SuperPro, Whiteline, and SPL.
I went through 3 sets of Whiteline links for my front 20mm bar. Some didn't make it far at all, but none made it a whole season.

The SPL ones I've got now seem to be holding up much better.
#24 CS/CSR
TrqlessWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrqlessWonder For This Useful Post:
Clutch Dog (02-27-2020)
Old 02-27-2020, 03:15 PM   #4827
Clutch Dog

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP , 2005 Saab 97X
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrqlessWonder View Post
I went through 3 sets of Whiteline links for my front 20mm bar. Some didn't make it far at all, but none made it a whole season.

The SPL ones I've got now seem to be holding up much better.
ive eaten a set of whitelines with autox, so has a guy in an Rx8 and another 86 owner.

i went with SPL, the other 86 guy went Perrin, and i think the rx8 guy eventually got around to SPL as well.

I recommend them over racerX they fit so much tighter
Clutch Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 07:14 PM   #4828
bmacfrs

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Dog View Post
ive eaten a set of whitelines with autox, so has a guy in an Rx8 and another 86 owner.

i went with SPL, the other 86 guy went Perrin, and i think the rx8 guy eventually got around to SPL as well.

I recommend them over racerX they fit so much tighter
Hmm. I think i have Whiteline links. So what is it that happens to them?
Old 02-27-2020, 08:11 PM   #4829
Clutch Dog

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP , 2005 Saab 97X
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacfrs View Post
Hmm. I think i have Whiteline links. So what is it that happens to them?
for me: I stripped out the driver side endlink bolts
86 guy did the same but it was rear driver endlink
rx8 guy bent his ( hes kinda aggressive 9k spring rate and 255 super 200s)
Clutch Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clutch Dog For This Useful Post:
bmacfrs (02-27-2020)
Old 02-28-2020, 01:30 PM   #4830
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,471 Times in 766 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I have no idea how the Whiteline links are getting damaged. I can see the issue with the balljoint ends being too fat and the center section being too long, but otherwise... WTF? Are you guys putting them in bind or something?
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote