follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-24-2020, 04:14 PM   #1415
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Do we know the number of failures that have been reported here? I suppose someone could go through and count them but I don't recall seeing a specific number.

Statistically the sample size here would be valid, if we had true numbers showing the number recalled, the number of those recalled that were taken in, the number of those that failed and the number that didn't fail and the sample was limited to only those online here before the repairs were attempted by a dealer. That would be a valid sampling.

Unfortunately I don't think we have that number, and it certainly isn't random. It is likely there are folks on here that came to this forum only because they had a failure. There are zero folks on here that came to the forum because they had a successful experience.

The last I checked there were over 100 failure reports on this forum and yes there have been people that joined just to report the failure. I doubt anyone joins just to report a success though.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:34 PM   #1416
Little Mt. Fuji

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mt. Fuji View Post
Update:
Motor spun rod bearing 4 back in July 1500 miles after recall with about 85k miles.
Got car back 4 weeks later with a refurbished shortblock. They reused the heads and cams (probably the coolant and oil too). No hassle or arguing and at no cost to me (I really woulda liked a nice yell or two to the GM).
Just passed 1500 miles on the new shortblock today. No issues and still feels good. Did an oil change at 500 miles and oil looked good. Hopefully she doesnt have a temper tantrum and rod knock like the last one. Im still not sold on it not blowing up till I hit 3000 miles on it, but no matter what it will still look good in my driveway with or without a engine.
Update:

Put about ~4000 miles on refurbished shortblock, 6 months after the rebuild from dealer everything is good. Engine oil looks really clean, engine sounds great and revs freely, no drips or leaks, HPFP is as loud as ever. Only complaint is that they broke the rubber access cover for the hole to access the flywheel. They used a large piece of it and used a black putty to keep it in place instead of replacing the $10 part. oh well. Going to do an oil change in about 1000 miles and send a sample to blackstone to check on it.
Little Mt. Fuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 06:03 PM   #1417
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
The guy was asking about odds of failure. My whole point was that even with the limited data we have we already know the odds are worse to do the recall vs not. I understand the limited data creates a doom and gloom but comparing the odds of doing vs not isn’t based on emotion, it’s just simple logic.
OH sorry! I missed that point.
Yes, with what we know the odds of failure from the repair are worse than the odds of failure from the springs.
Dadhawk (01-24-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 07:24 PM   #1418
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,936 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
OH sorry! I missed that point.
Yes, with what we know the odds of failure from the repair are worse than the odds of failure from the springs.
Or do we? By replacing the springs we now no longer know how many would ultimately fail if the recall didn't happen. It is possible that the longer they were used metal fatigue would have come into play, or cracks would develop along the "bad parts".

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-24-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 07:33 PM   #1419
DeadBRZ

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
The last I checked there were over 100 failure reports on this forum and yes there have been people that joined just to report the failure. I doubt anyone joins just to report a success though.
Good point. I joined just to report the failure. If the dealer had agreed to repair the engine after it had failed I would not have joined so my recall experience would have been considered a success.
How many other people had an engine failure after the recall where the dealer covered the repair without question. They would all be happy owners and this forum would consider them part of the success numbers since they did not report their issue. I would consider that a fail with a happy ending. But definitely not a success.
It would be nice if those numbers could be included in the overall failure rate for the recall.
But we will never know - Only way to know is find out how many short blocks have been shipped to dealers. I doubt a block is a common item used in everyday repairs. I would then say, every short block ordered and delivered after a recall could be considered a failure. (I'd also include how many used engines have shipped from auto wreckers in that number)
DeadBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 07:47 PM   #1420
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Or do we? By replacing the springs we now no longer know how many would ultimately fail if the recall didn't happen. It is possible that the longer they were used metal fatigue would have come into play, or cracks would develop along the "bad parts".
Oh that is true too. The data is totally screwed at this point.
Dadhawk (01-24-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 07:52 PM   #1421
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadBRZ View Post
Good point. I joined just to report the failure. If the dealer had agreed to repair the engine after it had failed I would not have joined so my recall experience would have been considered a success.
How many other people had an engine failure after the recall where the dealer covered the repair without question. They would all be happy owners and this forum would consider them part of the success numbers since they did not report their issue. I would consider that a fail with a happy ending. But definitely not a success.
It would be nice if those numbers could be included in the overall failure rate for the recall.
But we will never know - Only way to know is find out how many short blocks have been shipped to dealers. I doubt a block is a common item used in everyday repairs. I would then say, every short block ordered and delivered after a recall could be considered a failure. (I'd also include how many used engines have shipped from auto wreckers in that number)
The last I saw about 60
% of the people that had failures the dealer covered it. There are of course the ones that came on, said they had a failure and the dealer was looking into it and then never updated as to what happened. We can probably assume that they got covered. Not all the dealers are sacks of crap!

We have no better way to determine short-blocks shipped than we do anything else. Also would not tell us how many failures were covered by the honest dealers.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:40 PM   #1422
Eazy-V

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
Do we have database of members who have had valve springs failures?

I don’t have many kms/miles on my 2013, but have it tuned to 400whp on E73 turbo’d, so still hesitant to do the recall.

1993 Mazda MX6 N/A Fully Built on MegaSquirt (work in progress)
2023 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 Stock
Eazy-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:49 PM   #1423
alan.chalkley

Drives: 4wd zooks
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Not getting your point?
The recall work itself is done for free. They extend the warranty on the springs after the work. The failures due to shoddy workmanship should be covered by the spring extended warranty but the dealerships that screw up are saying it isn't their fault so they are not covering it. Ironically enough even the pre recall spun bearing failures where excessive sealant was found were only covered by warranty about 50% of the time. The other cases the dealership always blamed the owner in some way so trying to extend the recall past the warranty period would not even come up.
My reaction to this was started by an 86 post valve spring recall that died right in front of my house and started my new recall phobia.
alan.chalkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 10:17 PM   #1424
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan.chalkley View Post
My reaction to this was started by an 86 post valve spring recall that died right in front of my house and started my new recall phobia.
Which completely and totally sucks in all ways but is not a reason to invent some hidden agenda on the part of Subaru.
Dadhawk (01-25-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 06:29 PM   #1425
alan.chalkley

Quote:
Which completely and totally sucks in all ways but is not a reason to invent some hidden agenda on the part of Subaru.
I am not inventing the passing of time that it took to issue the recall.
Was it about seven years?
A lot of cars were built in that period of time!
Old 01-25-2020, 06:39 PM   #1426
DarkSideFRS
Banned

Drives: 2013 pearl white FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I think it's a scare tactic on the part of Toyota and Subaru. First, they come up with the actual cost of this recall. Then they look at their budget and it's only enough to cover 1/3 of the repairs. So how do they lower cost? By scaring off ppl to not do the recall. It makes sense to me.....
DarkSideFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 06:41 PM   #1427
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan.chalkley View Post
I am not inventing the passing of time that it took to issue the recall.
Was it about seven years?
A lot of cars were built in that period of time!
The cars impacted by the recall were built in about an eight moth period in 2013.
It would take at least a couple of years for there to be enough spring failures to trigger an investigation.
The investigation into the problem and determining what was the issue would take several months to a year.
They would then need to inform various applicable agencies that they were performing a voluntary recall. Those agencies would then take time to process and release it.
The recall was released on November 1 2018.

This is in no way abnormal or dragged out for such a thing. The Takata airbag recalls are still going on for cars from as far back as 2003.

The recall is covered under warranty even when the standard and drive train ones are up so there was zero incentive to delay it in any way.

There is no indication that they continued to use the bad spring beyond the one batch made so it doesn't matter how many cars they made after the issue was found.
Dadhawk (01-25-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 01:10 AM   #1428
alan.chalkley

Quote:
The cars impacted by the recall were built in about an eight moth period in 2013.
It would take at least a couple of years for there to be enough spring failures to trigger an investigation.
The investigation into the problem and determining what was the issue would take several months to a year.
They would then need to inform various applicable agencies that they were performing a voluntary recall. Those agencies would then take time to process and release it.
The recall was released on November 1 2018.

This is in no way abnormal or dragged out for such a thing. The Takata airbag recalls are still going on for cars from as far back as 2003.

The recall is covered under warranty even when the standard and drive train ones are up so there was zero incentive to delay it in any way.

There is no indication that they continued to use the bad spring beyond the one batch made so it doesn't matter how many cars they made after the issue was found.
It took more time to filter here down under and covers the start of 2012 production to may 2013.
The airbag recalls here are being recalled again because the replacement airbags are also faulty.
Maybe the valve spring recalls should be recalled again to check everything that causes the recall failures.

Tags
brz, failure, frs, i cant even, j02, recall, so much glue