follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 09-05-2012, 12:58 AM   #1
tintumz22

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Toyota 86
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Another way of starting from 1st gear..help

Hello guys.. I just want to learn this kind of starting from First gear.. But I know it takes practice but a vid can really be a help for me.. just trying to get help from this good community.. (But i know how to do the normal start of a manual car)

I saw this post from another site and heard this from a video here somewhere where he is doing a demo of a product but notice "heard the sound of engine" how he start from first coming from a stop(but can't find the vid already).. this is the post I read.. "punch the gas pedal once or twice" punch it so the RPM's climb some and take your foot off the gas pedal but still have it there"(meaning foot is not steadily revving the engine in a certain rpm?like a usual start). As the engine starts to Rev down, you are disengaging the clutch ">slowly<" . Even if the car is starting to move, you are still in the process of letting go of the clutch pedal."

Just want to learn.. Thanks!
tintumz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tintumz22 For This Useful Post:
Snozzberries (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 01:13 AM   #2
steeloyangster

Drives: 14' FRS 6MT; 16' WRX 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
There are a ton of techniques for how to drive a manual. A lot of people like to blip the throttle and ease off the clutch to get the car moving. Me personally, I slowly lift off the clutch and give it the tiniest bit of gas so that the engine doesn't stall. Then once it is moving, I give it more gas and slowly lift off the clutch.

One way that I have taught A LOT of people on how to drive stick was to go to a flat area, and tell them don't even worry about the gas pedal. Start the car, then put it in first gear, then slowly lift off the clutch. Once you feel the car moving forward slowly, and I mean slowly, let it out a little bit more. Once the car is moving slightly faster, then you're free to let off the clutch pedal and push on the gas.

First Gear and Reverse Gear are the hardest gears to get into. Especially on hills. But you want to start learning where your friction point in your clutch is. The friction point is the area of the movement of the clutch that your pressure plate engages the flywheel. Basically, when the car starts to move.

Getting into first gear, especially going uphill, is like playing a guitar or riding a bike. It's 99% muscle memory. The more practice, the better. Just be sure you understand the mechanics of what is happening before you go practicing going up hills. I hate scaring people, but it is very easy to burn out a clutch if you aren't driving it right.
steeloyangster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to steeloyangster For This Useful Post:
Guff (09-06-2012), ngabdala (09-05-2012), Texas BRZ (09-24-2012), tintumz22 (09-05-2012), Wes (09-23-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 01:21 AM   #3
tintumz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeloyangster View Post
There are a ton of techniques for how to drive a manual. A lot of people like to blip the throttle and ease off the clutch to get the car moving. Me personally, I slowly lift off the clutch and give it the tiniest bit of gas so that the engine doesn't stall. Then once it is moving, I give it more gas and slowly lift off the clutch.

One way that I have taught A LOT of people on how to drive stick was to go to a flat area, and tell them don't even worry about the gas pedal. Start the car, then put it in first gear, then slowly lift off the clutch. Once you feel the car moving forward slowly, and I mean slowly, let it out a little bit more. Once the car is moving slightly faster, then you're free to let off the clutch pedal and push on the gas.

First Gear and Reverse Gear are the hardest gears to get into. Especially on hills. But you want to start learning where your friction point in your clutch is. The friction point is the area of the movement of the clutch that your pressure plate engages the flywheel. Basically, when the car starts to move.

Getting into first gear, especially going uphill, is like playing a guitar or riding a bike. It's 99% muscle memory. The more practice, the better. Just be sure you understand the mechanics of what is happening before you go practicing going up hills. I hate scaring people, but it is very easy to burn out a clutch if you aren't driving it right.
Thanks for the heads up man!!
Old 09-05-2012, 01:24 AM   #4
steeloyangster

Garage
Seriously, if you don't understand something, just say so. I won't troll you. I can't speak for the rest of these folks, but I'll help. I understand where you're coming from.
The Following User Says Thank You to steeloyangster For This Useful Post:
Texas BRZ (09-24-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 01:31 AM   #5
tintumz22

I've driven manual cars in the past so the Normal way of starting the manual car like most people do is what I do.. just got into that post from another website and the clip i saw somewhere here in this forum.. hoping I might get somebody to do a vid for me or something.. Cuz seeing it happen is how I really learn at my best..

But yeah Thanks for your insights though! (This is why i like this community!)
Old 09-05-2012, 01:33 AM   #6
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Sounds like you're just over-thinking this...

You can rev the engine any way you want, but to start moving you need to slip the clutch a bit, whether you're in a parking lot or during a hard launch.

For normal driving, just rev the engine lightly and let the clutch slip a small amount as it engages, at the same time apply a bit more gas as you finish the clutch release to drive away. Done. Eventually you'll learn to do this quickly and smoothly without over-revving or bogging the engine.

Sounds like the guy in the video was just trying to let the engine's inertia to get the car moving. It works, but the way it's described really over-complicates the process.

Steelo's method of using ONLY the gentle clutch slip (no gas) is good for learning the feel and point of engagement. After this, you'll continue to learn when you should engage the clutch quickly and when to be more gentle. The whole idea, no matter the scenario, is to get the clutch engaged as quickly as necessary (but smoothly), because slip causes wear. Using special timing with double tapping the gas pedal and whatever is completely unnecessary. If you're engaging the clutch to get moving at the same time as engine rpm is dropping back down to idle, you just risk stalling more easily.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wheelhaus For This Useful Post:
tintumz22 (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 01:49 AM   #7
steeloyangster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhaus View Post
Sounds like you're just over-thinking this...

You can rev the engine any way you want, but to start moving you need to slip the clutch a bit, whether you're in a parking lot or during a hard launch.

For normal driving, just rev the engine lightly and let the clutch slip a small amount as it engages, at the same time apply a bit more gas as you finish the clutch release to drive away. Done. Eventually you'll learn to do this quickly and smoothly without over-revving or bogging the engine.

Sounds like the guy in the video was just trying to let the engine's inertia to get the car moving. It works, but the way it's described really over-complicates the process.

Steelo's method of using ONLY the gentle clutch slip (no gas) is good for learning the feel and point of engagement. After this, you'll continue to learn when you should engage the clutch quickly and when to be more gentle. The whole idea, no matter the scenario, is to get the clutch engaged as quickly as necessary (but smoothly), because slip causes wear. Using special timing with double tapping the gas pedal and whatever is completely unnecessary. If you're engaging the clutch to get moving at the same time as engine rpm is dropping back down to idle, you just risk stalling more easily.
Thank you wheelhaus, that was exactly what I was going for as far as the tutorial goes. I'm not a blipper. I know a lot of blippers, and I always felt like with the RPM's dropping as you're engaging the clutch, you were more at risk of stalling out. Not to mention it's much smoother if you just rev your motor a couple more hundred RPM and just let the clutch out slowly. I have always had a philosophy on driving and that is "The Smoother You Drive, The Faster You Go, The More Gas You Save." This applies more to twisty roads than a flat out drag of course.
The Following User Says Thank You to steeloyangster For This Useful Post:
tintumz22 (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 01:54 AM   #8
tintumz22

Thank you wheelhaus and steeloyangster Sir! I'll just go with your philosophy steeloyangster!
Old 09-05-2012, 02:10 AM   #9
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
...I have always had a philosophy on driving and that is "The Smoother You Drive, The Faster You Go, The More Gas You Save." This applies more to twisty roads than a flat out drag of course.
Agreed! I personally am always practicing to be smoother. Note, this doesn't read "slower"; sometimes smooth requires very quick and precise motions.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:15 AM   #10
steeloyangster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhaus View Post
Agreed! I personally am always practicing to be smoother. Note, this doesn't read "slower"; sometimes smooth requires very quick and precise motions.
Your right.

I just saw you're from Denver. I use to live right off of Federal off I-70! Then I was like,"I'm done with this weird ass weather." Then moved back to NC. Now that I know you live in Denver, YOU HAVE TO BOOST YOUR CAR! Those low octane ratings are gonna kill your engine.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:29 AM   #11
onthemove

Drives: ...
Half the time people are "blipping" the throttle to start in first only to "show off" the crappy exhaust on their Honda... ive blipped it a couple times on a STEEP hill, but besides that its just easily off the clutch while easily getting on the gas, dont hold the clutch too long or youll start burning it.

Sidenote: Remember, when you arent using the clutch, place your foot on the dead pedal

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
onthemove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to onthemove For This Useful Post:
tintumz22 (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 07:25 AM   #12
ngabdala
Vortech Supercharged

Drives: WRB BRZ 6MT LTD
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
+1 . That is how I learned and I still do that when I'm in traffic

Quote: