follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 06-14-2012, 09:47 AM   #15
TriForce

Drives: Camry
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enemies View Post
85% assuming you'd be paying the car off in 12 months instead of 60 months.

Just keep in mind, life passes by quick. Here today, gone tomorrow. I just turned 34 today and I've been going back and forth on it in my head a little. Life's too short though. I've got a good job. Time to just bite the bullet and replace my beater.

Most important thing is that you're happy with your decision!

Well I'm only 23, and I think I still have some time And of course I am not too happy with my decision. It's really hard to say NO to a car you've been waiting for so long, with a car loan which you can potentially service(afterall monthly payments are only 25% of my monthly salary and it's not like we are talking about BMW here).

My situation is pretty much generic to any other college grad out there. Unless of course they've come in posession of inheritance, or have loaded parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip View Post
Haha I'm pretty sure this is the car that I ordered and backed out on for my 135i. Herman told me a couple weeks ago it would be there mid June.
Yeah I thought so too. 2nd person backing out from it. I guess this car now has a bad juju
TriForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:59 AM   #16
djdnz

Drives: 2013 BRZ WRB S/C
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Good decision, wait a year or two and see if it's still the car for you. By then you may have saved some more, or are in a better position financially. The 50% rule is a pretty good one.

You might want to consider picking up a lightly used on as well, when someone buys one and his wife gets pregnant with triplets and has to trade it in for a mini-van (poor guy). His loss, your gain right?
djdnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:11 AM   #17
phillip

Drives: 2011 135i
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriForce View Post
Yeah I thought so too. 2nd person backing out from it. I guess this car now has a bad juju
Honestly if it had gotten in a month earlier I'd be driving it today. Oh well. Surely the third time is the charm (especially with 20+ on the wait list over at Kennesaw).
phillip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:57 AM   #18
TriForce

Quote:
Honestly if it had gotten in a month earlier I'd be driving it today. Oh well. Surely the third time is the charm (especially with 20+ on the wait list over at Kennesaw).
I hope so, the car looks really great. The WRB color really impressed me. Especially looks great in the sun, so with our sunny climate this thing is a pure win.

Btw what's year/package on your 135? You took those addons from M (Steering Wheel/Rims etc.)?
Last month I seen an actual 1-series M, my god that thing was a beast. The owner of All Out Auto dealership in Marietta bought a brand new one and was stripping it down for for racing. I've always liked how 135 drives, and the price on the used ones was not so bad either. But 2 things always stopped me from considering it: First, I just don't like how the cars looks, at all. Second, every 1-series you see in GA, there is 90% chance that driver is a woman.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #19
phillip

Quote:
I hope so, the car looks really great. The WRB color really impressed me. Especially looks great in the sun, so with our sunny climate this thing is a pure win.

Btw what's year/package on your 135? You took those addons from M (Steering Wheel/Rims etc.)?
Last month I seen an actual 1-series M, my god that thing was a beast. The owner of All Out Auto dealership in Marietta bought a brand new one and was stripping it down for for racing. I've always liked how 135 drives, and the price on the used ones was not so bad either. But 2 things always stopped me from considering it: First, I just don't like how the cars looks, at all. Second, every 1-series you see in GA, there is 90% chance that driver is a woman.
It's a 2011 with every package and most if not all options. Factory cars are the way to go. Dealership person drives it for 5k miles and shows off all the options to customers, then you get it for >$10k under MSRP. Despite not seeing many on the road (mostly 3series), I would love it if 99% of the drivers were women

I never got to see the actual BRZ I was going to get, only saw one at the auto show a couple months back. Still haven't sat in one...
Old 06-14-2012, 11:23 AM   #20
eikond
Wish Nissan made one

Drives: '13 WRB BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
You made the right decision.

You protected your financial freedom.. and that is very important. College grads typically go through huge changes in life very rapidly. Those who are free to make changes wind up in way better shape than those who don't. If you bought this car because you can afford it now.. you might lock yourself into your current situation.. What if you wanted to move out of your parents house and buy your own place.. but now you couldn't because you have too much monthly debt..

Better off staying financially free until you establish yourself and settle down.
eikond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:30 AM   #21
serith

Drives: 2009 Scion tC RS 5.0
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Hey guys,
My car has finally arrived today.
But unfortunately I think I am gonna let this one go.

My OTD number is :
$31,527 OTD LT/MT/WRB
includes
(Atlanta MSRP + $750 doc/"dealer service" fee )

For the last week I had this dialog in my head.
A (reasonable, calculating adult with finance degree, who understands the consequences of this purchase)
B (crazy youth, car enthusiast, victim of media hype, who read too much initial D and tired of his old beater)

A: You can not afford this car
B: Hell yes I can, I have a steady finance job and no other obligations like mortgage or rent.

A: You just graduated from college. You have 630 credit score, and you got 7.5%APR for 60 months from Subaru financing. You can not afford this car!
B: Pffft. Car loan is the best way to rebuild credit score, and you can always refinance a few months later, when you get a better score.

A: David Ramsey says if car costs more then 50% of your annual salary, YOU CAN NOT AFFORD THIS CAR!!!
B: LOL UMAD BRO? OTD price is only 85% of your salary. It's not that bad. Besides you don't have any other obligations like rent/mortgage/school loans. Don't be a ***** roll like a man

Well as of today my reasonable side won the argument (as it always does). And I am gonna pass on this one. I just hope my crazy side will not overpower me when I actually see WRB in person later today.

Anyway if you're in GA and looking to pick up WRB Limited BRZ MT, send me a message I'll give you the details.
Smart decision. Wait until you move out and know what your rent/school-loans/cost-of-living will be like every month before you sink $30k into a car. I made a similar decision last week with a LT CBS 6MT last week. I died a little inside passing on the car even though I can afford it, it's just not the right choice financially for me either. I still love following the car and reading about others impressions on this forum though.
09 RS 5.0 -- #862 of 2000 -- 5spd
serith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:35 AM   #22
serith

Drives: 2009 Scion tC RS 5.0
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
afterall monthly payments are only 25% of my monthly salary
Just saw this. You definitely made the right choice here. IMO if your car payment is even approaching > 10% of your gross per month, you're over-reaching. Keep saving, do well at work, and one day you'll be able to buy a car like this without being a slave to it financially.
09 RS 5.0 -- #862 of 2000 -- 5spd
serith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:42 AM   #23
TriForce

Quote:
It's a 2011 with every package and most if not all options. Factory cars are the way to go. Dealership person drives it for 5k miles and shows off all the options to customers, then you get it for >$10k under MSRP. Despite not seeing many on the road (mostly 3series), I would love it if 99% of the drivers were women

I never got to see the actual BRZ I was going to get, only saw one at the auto show a couple months back. Still haven't sat in one...
Wow $10K under MSRP thats really cool. What do you mean, when you say factory cars? Older models that never been sold to anyone?

I am not sure but I think BRZ is still at Classic, you can take a look at it, if you like. One thing that really suprised me about it, is headroom. I am 6'4 and I've had A LOT of space. I could even wear a helmet if I wanted too
Old 06-14-2012, 11:55 AM   #24
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Well I'm only 23, and I think I still have some time And of course I am not too happy with my decision....
Well if you ever get desperate for an 86 fix we can always meet back up at the Big Chicken!
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
TriForce (06-14-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 01:12 PM   #25
phillip

Quote:
Wow $10K under MSRP thats really cool. What do you mean, when you say factory cars? Older models that never been sold to anyone?
They call them factory cars. Somebody who is high up at the dealership gets to spec a car how they want (almost always get every package/option) then drive it for ~5000 miles. They're technically 'new' since the dealership owned them the whole time. You can find them in the used inventory section online though. Some good deals to be found. The only downside is that the warranty starts when they start driving it, so you might get a year less on it. Oh, and they probably flog the hell out of the car too haha. I know I would.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:44 PM   #26
Enemies

Drives: '13 SWP Sport-Tech (Limited)
Quote:
Well I'm only 23, and I think I still have some time And of course I am not too happy with my decision.
I think the most important thing is being happy with your decision. Passing on it should feel right, and bring you a sense of relief rather than... "Damnit, I know I could've afforded it." etc, etc.

Years pass quick. Especially after you graduate. I have been putting off things for years and years.

I wanted a home theatre for years, to go on a vacation, a new car... I'm just starting to get around to them now and I don't regret it at all. Besides the car though I'm not going into debt for any of them. Just saving up.

I suppose one thing you could always do is have a little pile of cash you save on the side, and when it gets big enough... jump.
Enemies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enemies For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-14-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 02:17 PM   #27
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enemies View Post
...I suppose one thing you could always do is have a little pile of cash you save on the side, and when it gets big enough... jump.
This.

Since the orginal OP mentioned Dave Ramsey, I think this video is worth reposting on the forum. I know some folks won't agree with it 100% (heck I don't even agree with Dave 100% of the time and I do follow his program for the most part even before I knew there was a "Dave Ramsey") it's definitely food for thought.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKyV8CTHeJ0"]Drive Free Cars - YouTube[/ame]
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
TriForce (06-14-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 04:13 PM   #28
TylerD951

Drives: 2003 Accord EX V6 sedan
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I commend you on making what seems like the responsible decision but those that mentioned that the years fly by after you graduate are so right.

I went from driving a 944 Turbo for 7 years to getting a 2003 accord v6 sedan in 2008 when I graduated and got my job. That car has been payed off for about 9 months now and I have been continuing to make a car payment into my BRZ/savings account and I will make my move on a 2014 SWP BRZ limited next year*. I could get one easily enough right now and not be struggling at all but there is a certain number I want to hit before I sell my Accord privately and put down more on the BRZ. I don't mind financing because the money I don't put down will be invested and used for other things \ saved for rainy days. There is a 401k and Roth IRA that I am also contributing to so I am still paying myself towards my retirement and will continue to do so.

On days that I would consider perfect driving days it is like my heart is acheing not having a little sports car to drive. My rationale is if I can get into a brand new car with a warranty that I will love driving every day and make every day that much more enjoyable with payments less than what I was paying on the Accord then that is a good move.

Being 28 and heading towards 30 lightning quick it is time to pay myself in fun and I can't think of a better way than a BRZ.

*OK, so I might go for a gently used 2013 BRZ limited if anyone is selling when the time comes. That whole new car depreciation thing sucks!

See the eternal struggle?

It is great that you have that internal dialogue that some people completely lack...

A Friend: Buy brand new 370z in 2010 and rediculous interest rate and payments, trade it in on a 2009 Envoy Denali (cash out 401k, had the opportunity when company changed ownership) to pay it and other debts off, drive Envoy for 8 months, trade it for a 2008 BWM 335i coupe, start making payments on that. Fender bender with 1k deductable, 2 flat tires and damaged wheel, get car back from body shop. Hail damage that night. Drive hail damaged BMW until can afford another 1k deductible.

Ugly stuff.
TylerD951 is offline   Reply With Quote