follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 09-20-2012, 07:13 PM   #1
kflanegan

Drives: 2013 FR-S in Argento w/Bespoke
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
kflanegan's Argento FR-S: GT86 Build

Hey everybody,

Well I figured I would start my own build page since I'm finally getting around to starting things off. I bought my FR-S from Serra Toyota here in Birmingham, AL August 17. I wanted a manual and they only had Automatics on the lot when I was looking. But they were getting a dealer trade the following day (which ended up having 494 miles on it already). I agreed to come back the next day and put down a deposit before I left. Got a call after lunch the next day from my salesman saying they got the car and it was in detail. So I got there and looked it over as it was being prepped and was happy with everything. At this point price still hasn't been locked down and I didn't get a final selling price till I got to finance. In the end they sold me the car for $29,277 and gave me my full payoff on the 2010 Civic I traded in. I got 4.74% financing from my local bank and only had to put $500 down to get my payments to $433 a month. Overall I guess I'm not totally bummed out anymore about the sale. I was pissed when I first realized how much they charged me over "pure price" plus the car already having 494 miles and that not being disclosed until financing was already working on the deal. On the upside though the did give me $13,050 on my trade and carmax and another dealer were only going to give me $11,000 or $11,500. The other three automatics they had while I was there had an asking price of over $30,000. The only options I have from the dealer are the bespoke radio $845 and gap insurance $799.

Anyway all that being said. Since my purchase I have tinted the windows locally to 30% and have bought the splash guards and wheel locks from the Clanton, AL Scion dealer. I received my Toyota badges today from Nigel-JDM parts and have already de-badged the car. After the sun sets and I get the car all cleaned up and detailed I will put the new Toyota front/rear and GT86 trunk badge on the car.

Hopefully my next mod will be vinyl wrapping the roof matte black. I also have my Perrin 4" antenna replacement on order and will hopefully receive that next week.
Attached Images

kflanegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:16 PM   #2
draggin_az
Small penis big dreams

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
whats your plans for where the scion badges were? full shave or re badge?
draggin_az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:58 PM   #3
jaymeister
Yo dawg!

Drives: I have a car..?
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by draggin_az View Post
whats your plans for where the scion badges were? full shave or re badge?
He posted that he got his Toyota badges from Nigel. Pretty sure he's going to rebadge it as a Toyota. So far so good. Quick question, how hard was it taking off the badges? Broke any tabs? Recommendations of taking it off? I ordered mines from Nigel as well but won't be getting it till the nxt 2wks. And I already read the DIY on the rebadge. Just want your input.
jaymeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:23 PM   #4
kflanegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymeister View Post
He posted that he got his Toyota badges from Nigel. Pretty sure he's going to rebadge it as a Toyota. So far so good. Quick question, how hard was it taking off the badges? Broke any tabs? Recommendations of taking it off? I ordered mines from Nigel as well but won't be getting it till the nxt 2wks. And I already read the DIY on the rebadge. Just want your input.
The front badge gave me some trouble. I used three tools to get them all off. The back two came off without any problems.

On all three I sprayed the goo gone gel around the emblem and held a microfibre cloth underneath to catch the runaway. Then I used the 2" putty knife and the little red devil tool to get under a corner. After I was wedged in there I could push down and forward to get the scion badges off. The back two were really easy. Took maybe 5-10 min. The front left a bunch of 3m tape residue and took maybe 15 min of scrubbing and using the putty knife to get clean. I only nicked the paint on the top outer edge a tiny bit on the front. Otherwise completely clean removal. The front tabs did break off because it was so hard to get off. The back scion badge didn't break at all.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to kflanegan For This Useful Post:
Got3n (09-21-2012)
Old 09-20-2012, 09:42 PM   #5
jaymeister
Yo dawg!

Drives: I have a car..?
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanks for the response! Need to do mines soon!
jaymeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:12 PM   #6
kflanegan

Just put my new badges on. I'm happy with how they look. Money well spent!
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2012, 08:52 AM   #7
draggin_az
Small penis big dreams

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
i like
draggin_az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:14 AM   #8
Got3n
86-75309

Drives: Toyota FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
awesome job, glad someone had a nice little tutorial on how to debadge.
Got3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #9
kflanegan

Thanks guys. I'm glad to help whenever I can. If anyone has any other questions or concerns about the re-badge let me know.

Only scion logos are left on the wheel caps. I'll try plastidip on those and see how the look. I'm not wanting to pay $70 for the Toyota replacements. Getting all the Scion out of the cabin is going to be harder and unfortunately much more expensive. Any ideas on the steering wheel logo with the airbag? That and the bespoke piece of a head unit.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2