follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 03-02-2021, 01:18 PM   #29
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decep View Post
Damn valve spring recall makes it harder to find engines huh?
Yeah it's just about impossible to find a good 13-16 motor. I finally found a good one recently after looking since August but couldn't put together the money quickly enough. My car has been sitting so long now the rotors are rusted trash and the battery is dead, no idea what else went wrong but I didn't get sta-bil in last fall so I'm guessing it will have fuel system problems too. Uggh...
Old 03-02-2021, 02:14 PM   #30
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decep View Post
I shift at 2500 rpm when the engine is cold with no lugging. At least in the first couple gears. It's not just RPM its load.

Anywho the OP ended up saying 3900 rpm.

Good lesson to be learned here, enjoy things rather than try to preserve em. I remember my old plasma TV i would keep the brightness down to half to keep things from burning in. And one day the motherboard fried randomly. Shoulda just enjoyed it while it was good.
You shift at 2500 RPM? Seriously?
I just tried it to see if it was possible and I guess it's possible but Damn, it sure isn't very "sporty" at all. I tried going 0-60 shifting at 2500 but I couldn't do it. I was laughing too hard. I suppose you could do it but it would take about 25 seconds. But you probably would get about 50 MPG.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:22 PM   #31
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I mean again, this is when the engine is cold and im not wanting to wind it out.
Edelbrock Supercharger installed @ 50k
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:04 AM   #32
itsAlex

Drives: 2016 4Runner / 2016 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Update: I got confirmation from Toyota that I need to replace my engine. They didn't say that it was specifically a spun rod bearing, all I was told was that a master tech diagnosed it and said the engine needs to be replaced. They quoted me $7-8k for a used engine with 116k on it, including labour.

Right now I'm searching for a used FA20 in my province. So far nothing has come up at all. I'm surprised my dealership was even able to find the one they quoted me for. I'll update with any new info once I figure out what I'm going to do. At this point, I'm just extremely bummed out that I'll have to park this car.
Old 03-03-2021, 03:20 PM   #33
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,795 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Well, that's a shame -

I wish you well in finding a replacement engine (or a replacement car).
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 05:15 PM   #34
itsAlex

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well, that's a shame -

I wish you well in finding a replacement engine (or a replacement car).
Just another update: My Toyota dealership was able to find a used engine with 114,000km up in Ottawa, they agreed to do the work for $6200 all in. This includes the engine swap, new spark plugs, and clutch service (nothing was wrong with the current clutch, but I figured since it's been 5 years and 109,000km I might as well put on a new one since the engine is out). I told them I'd source my own clutch kit and they agreed to install at no extra labour. With all that said, $6200 is a lot to pay but I think it's reasonable. Oh, they also gave me 90 days of warranty.

I'm taking the car in tomorrow morning, gonna be using a rental until they're done.
gravitylover (03-06-2021), humfrz (03-03-2021)
Old 03-12-2021, 09:52 AM   #35
itsAlex

Garage
Update: got my car back yesterday. Here's a list of stuff done:

- Used engine put in, has 115,000km on it (came from another 2016 FR-S, don't know if it was an auto or manual)
- New clutch, pressure plate, release bearing, pilot bearing, machined my old flywheel
- New spark plugs
- Filled with new coolant (blue coolant)
- New 75W90 oil in transmission

The old release bearing looked and sounded like shit. It didn't cause me any problems during the past 5 years, but examining it outside of the transmission would have me say it didn't have much life left.

The dealership said they found evidence that my old engine was burning oil along with the rod knock. Just thought I'd share this info here.

The car runs great, however it doesn't feel the same lol. It's not worse, it's just different. Shifting gears feels a bit notchier than before, the clutch pedal feels lighter, the bite point is a bit different too. Just need some time to adjust to it.

I feel like the engine takes a bit more time for revs to come down also. This would be a result of a heavier flywheel, no? I'm using the same flywheel from my old engine, it's just been machined. Not sure how to explain that one.

After taxes, I paid $6600. I'm just glad I have my car back. I now also have my old engine that I can tinker with and possibly sell/fix.
DarkSunrise (03-12-2021), NoHaveMSG (03-12-2021)
Old 03-12-2021, 11:22 AM   #36
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Since they pulled the engine, they likely had the battery disconnected. This would reset your fuel trims, will take the car around 100 or so miles before it relearns everything and it will start to run normal again.

Unfortunate circumstances but good to hear you got it back up and running. I think a lot of people would have tossed it on CL for $6k and walked away.
ermax (03-12-2021)
Old 03-12-2021, 11:29 AM   #37
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
As NoHaveMSG said, the car will need to relearn. Gears are likely to be more notchy with a new trans, you probably just don't remember how that feels from a "new" car. Good luck with your refreshed car!
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 12:11 PM   #38
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsAlex View Post
Update: got my car back yesterday. Here's a list of stuff done:

- Used engine put in, has 115,000km on it (came from another 2016 FR-S, don't know if it was an auto or manual)
- New clutch, pressure plate, release bearing, pilot bearing, machined my old flywheel
- New spark plugs
- Filled with new coolant (blue coolant)
- New 75W90 oil in transmission

The old release bearing looked and sounded like shit. It didn't cause me any problems during the past 5 years, but examining it outside of the transmission would have me say it didn't have much life left.

The dealership said they found evidence that my old engine was burning oil along with the rod knock. Just thought I'd share this info here.

The car runs great, however it doesn't feel the same lol. It's not worse, it's just different. Shifting gears feels a bit notchier than before, the clutch pedal feels lighter, the bite point is a bit different too. Just need some time to adjust to it.

I feel like the engine takes a bit more time for revs to come down also. This would be a result of a heavier flywheel, no? I'm using the same flywheel from my old engine, it's just been machined. Not sure how to explain that one.

After taxes, I paid $6600. I'm just glad I have my car back. I now also have my old engine that I can tinker with and possibly sell/fix.
Flywheel weight directly impacts engine spin-down time. I wouldn't expect a resurfacing to change the weight enough to notice though

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:03 PM   #39
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
Flywheel weight directly impacts engine spin-down time. I wouldn't expect a resurfacing to change the weight enough to notice though

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Resurfacing would lighten it which would cause it to drop revs faster not slower. But yeah resurfacing isn’t going to change the mass enough to be noticeable. The rev hang is just the ECU doing it’s thing. This car drives soooo bad after a reset and takes a crazy long time to be enjoyable again. I recently switched to a rom from Wayno and it seems to learn much faster than the OEM rom or OFT roms.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote