follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-15-2013, 03:40 PM   #29
so26

Drives: Raven FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve87j View Post
Hey Guys I'm also new to manual but on the FR-S i noticed 2 things.

Granny shifting: the only way to get smooth shifts from 1-3 is to apply gas when releasing clutch otherwise you get jerks.

Fast shifting: I cant seem to shift fast 1-3 without getting jerkyness is this normal?

Goal: I want to shift fast without getting jerks. but the clutch always either pulls unless i give it gas. and if i give it gas release clutch fast and shift I get a ROCK sensation rather than jerks. almost like i was trying to drive it hard but it wanted to engage at a higher RPM but im driving slow.
I think you're sweating it too much but that said. Have you adjusted the clutch pedal? (see this post) and I noticed that my fast shifts smoothed out once I installed the Perrin crank pulley.
so26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #30
so26

Drives: Raven FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by campy View Post
Granny shifting and not double clutching like you should
Why would you double clutch on upshifts?
so26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:53 PM   #31
tbwoodlee
I Void Warranties

Drives: Asphalt 86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs. sata View Post
I still get a little nervous when I come across any kind of an incline...
My first vehicle was a 1993 S-10 and it was a manual transmission. My driveway sloped up and by the end of it, it was a steep incline. To make matters worse, I lived on a busy street, so I always had to stop at the end of my driveway. Every time I left the house I had to deal with an incline, lol. I learned quickly.
tbwoodlee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tbwoodlee For This Useful Post:
mrs. sata (01-16-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 08:33 PM   #32
jmaryt
Banned

Drives: 2012 honda civic ex
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloist View Post
Ask people in the Philippines section

...Majority of cars in the Philippines are manual, and in heavily populated places like Manila, people get used to driving stick in traffic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by so26 View Post
If you're stuck in prolonged stop&go traffic on a highway then yes it can become annoying otherwise its fine. I would recommend having someone give you a couple of lessons before driving your FR-S off the lot. Also, its best to practice in a low traffic area like an industrial park in the evening or on the weekends.
once you get used to shifting in traffic,you won't give it a second thought!
as the french so eloquently proclaim, it's an "event psychological!" translation:
(it's all in your head!)
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:35 PM   #33
jmaryt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmookher View Post
NYC,Seattle,Denver, and now PHX

I drive a manual. Once it becomes second nature, you think about it as much as You think about making sure the spoon has the correct trajectory for your mount when eating cereal.
there is an element of truth in this!
Old 01-15-2013, 08:40 PM   #34
jmaryt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmookher View Post
NYC,Seattle,Denver, and now PHX

I drive a manual. Once it becomes second nature, you think about it as much as You think about making sure the spoon has the correct trajectory for your mount when eating cereal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by f0rge View Post
I've lived downtown in a big city with ridiculous traffic for the last 5 years, my previous car was a manual and my FR-S is a manual. I never found it to be a problem. It's obviously not as brainless as an autotragic but it's not hard or annoying in the least.

I have friends who bought automatics because they're scared of traffic or something. They think it will be too hard or too much hassle. It's not, and they bought the wrong car.

Anyone who has ever told you a manual in the city is too much work has never actually driven one, anyone who drives a manual will tell you it's cake.
ehe! he! he! ''slush" box in THIS car is "sacrilege"
Old 01-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #35
qijian

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve87j View Post
Hey Guys I'm also new to manual but on the FR-S i noticed 2 things.

Granny shifting: the only way to get smooth shifts from 1-3 is to apply gas when releasing clutch otherwise you get jerks.

Fast shifting: I cant seem to shift fast 1-3 without getting jerkyness is this normal?

Goal: I want to shift fast without getting jerks. but the clutch always either pulls unless i give it gas. and if i give it gas release clutch fast and shift I get a ROCK sensation rather than jerks. almost like i was trying to drive it hard but it wanted to engage at a higher RPM but im driving slow.
i'm feeling exactly what you're feeling..the mini jerks/rocks between the gears. Today i watched the rpms closely and noticed at the right rpms the jerking motion goes away...for example im shifting at like 3k rpms and releasing clutch at 2k rpms from 1st-2nd. dunno
qijian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #36
jmaryt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Matt View Post
Just leave it in second gear, you'll be fine. Autos are weaksauce.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT87 View Post
I think he means leave it in second in bumper to bumper traffic, you'd still shift into first from a stop.
this is true! when you get "good",and you will,you will learn to leave it in "creeper gear" (second),WITHOUT disengaging tranny,and just flow in bumper to bumper on very light throttle,without stalling the car! car will move forward smoothly with no jerking motions,but of course,when you have no more room,you must disengage tranny and hit the brake to stop.
The Following User Says Thank You to jmaryt For This Useful Post:
FR-S Matt (01-15-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 08:55 PM   #37
jmaryt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
Driving the car will kill the clutch in the long run. Just use sense. If you are doing 0-10, first is a good place. But if traffic continues rolling, you can take second all the way down to about 7-8 with out issue.
this is "dead nuts" accurate!
Old 01-15-2013, 09:02 PM   #38
jmaryt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
Driving the car will kill the clutch in the long run. Just use sense. If you are doing 0-10, first is a good place. But if traffic continues rolling, you can take second all the way down to about 7-8 with out issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Matt View Post
Automatics just make you lose a lot of thrill with the car. Take it on a windy road, where you have to brake, accelerate, downshift for power up hills. It's a ton of fun compared to flipping paddles on a steering wheel. Not to mention working the clutch is really fun as well. Even in traffic, I have no problems with a manual. Even from a dead stop, I'm able to take off from second gear without riding\burning the clutch at all. First gear is extremely short. Long term damage? Not at all, just normal wear and tear on a clutch. Second gear isn't jerky at all in bumper to bumper traffic.
car has sufficient torque to "light up" from second. generally speaking,1st gear gets the car moving forward from a dead stop.it's all it's really good for!
with sufficient torque down low, car will "pull a dead horse" in second!
Old 01-15-2013, 11:28 PM   #39
FRSupra

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbwoodlee View Post
I just have emotional responses to the local traffic's terrible driving.
this. The only problem with a standard transmission is everyone else. The majority of american's drive automatics and have lead feet. Over-speeding from a red light just to hit the brakes hard to sit at the next light. A lot of cars are in shops simply because of this, and the price of gas should not negatively affect anyone if they drive right. So, when you're at a light and someone is sitting three inches behind you and rides you at that range because you are not accelerating fast enough for them, let it roll as it will happen many more times. They won't be enjoying life nearly as much as you.

The FR-S BRZ is a car that was purpose built. Any model that was made with an automatic transmission is simply a waste, regardless of how fast the transmission shifts. You made the right choice.
FRSupra is offline   Reply With Quote