follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 05-09-2022, 12:18 PM   #981
Ebush

Drives: 2017 Hot Lava 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Just got back from a 1500 mile trip through the mountains (tail of the dragon area). Cars still in one piece, but if doing this swap I recommend valve spring upgrade. Multiple times through the weekend I experienced valve float, at first I thought I was just popping out of gear. So I would just shift to the next gear, then I realized it was actually in gear and when I slowed down a little the engine would get back to normal. Doesn't seem like I hurt the engine at all though.

Another issue I ran into was losing a throttle body bolt, and nearly losing a second one. Luckily I caught that in time. I started the trip with over 2000 miles on the swap so it's strange that I all of a sudden started losing throttle body bolts.

My header cracked at the head flange for cylinder 4, and my TRD mid pipe decided to instantly break right after the resonator. Im guessing this was due to vibrations, there was no warning (no small leak). I was just cruising and the car got really loud all of a sudden.
Ebush is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ebush For This Useful Post:
jacobe38 (05-09-2022)
Old 05-09-2022, 12:35 PM   #982
RedReplicant

Drives: None
Thanked 1,205 Times in 512 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
What did the valve float feel like? 8500 is about the absolute limit for the stock springs to control the stock valves with stock cams.

Sucks to hear about the crack, any pictures? Did you end up putting a flex in your exhaust?
Old 05-09-2022, 01:14 PM   #983
Ebush

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReplicant View Post
What did the valve float feel like? 8500 is about the absolute limit for the stock springs to control the stock valves with stock cams.

Sucks to hear about the crack, any pictures? Did you end up putting a flex in your exhaust?
No flex pipe, since it was never mentioned originally. Header Crack is so small it's not even leaking, there is just the smallest amount of black around a 1" Crack, and it didn't get larger or anymore black, and I noticed it at the start of the trip.

I'm not sure on what rpm the float was happening, but it seemed to only happen when I would stay in a single gear for a while. First time I noticed it was when I stayed in 3rd for a few minutes, I know I wasn't ever bouncing off the 8500rpm limiter, I was probably staying in the 6-7500 range. When I went to accelerate out of a corner it was hitting the limiter but sounded super weird, so I shifter to 4th and slowed down thinking it slipped out of gear.

Near the end of this video with about 45 seconds left you can briefly hear it do it. I let off the throttle coming into the corner and when I went to get back on throttle it was having the issue. From what I can tell during this instance, I wasn't even that high in the rpm.

Old 05-09-2022, 02:00 PM   #984
RedReplicant

Drives: None
Thanked 1,205 Times in 512 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebush View Post
I'm not sure on what rpm the float was happening, but it seemed to only happen when I would stay in a single gear for a while. First time I noticed it was when I stayed in 3rd for a few minutes, I know I wasn't ever bouncing off the 8500rpm limiter, I was probably staying in the 6-7500 range. When I went to accelerate out of a corner it was hitting the limiter but sounded super weird, so I shifter to 4th and slowed down thinking it slipped out of gear.
No new hidden DTCs in your Haltech? If you can replicate it I'd try datalogging.

I ran a Haltech 1500 in my last track car, which was a turbo NB Miata. I had a bunch of failsafes set up and depending on what triggered the car would drop rev limit, pull timing, etc. Valve float sounds kind of unlikely to me here, just my opinion though
Old 05-09-2022, 02:14 PM   #985
Ebush

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReplicant View Post
No new hidden DTCs in your Haltech? If you can replicate it I'd try datalogging.

I ran a Haltech 1500 in my last track car, which was a turbo NB Miata. I had a bunch of failsafes set up and depending on what triggered the car would drop rev limit, pull timing, etc. Valve float sounds kind of unlikely to me here, just my opinion though
I'll check and see if anything popped up, haven't had the laptop hooked up to it in a few weeks. I wasn't running the car all that hard, so it's definitely weird what it was doing. In some of my other videos that I haven't gotten around to editing the incident was much longer due to me not being able to hear my car over my brother's camaro. It would almost sound like the Trans grinding like it was stuck in gear, but I eventually figured out that I was still in gear and the car could free Rev (but sounded weird as if the valves were stuck open).
Old 05-09-2022, 02:21 PM   #986
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Drives: 14 FRS K24 swap - SOLD
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I'm really surprised I haven't seen a header crack on my setup yet. With over 6k miles of street and 3 autocross events it hasn't popped up. Thankfully I just installed the Xforce exhaust with the flex pipe but still.

I assume you guys are installing the rubber hanger bracket and making sure it's not in tension before tightening down? There is some wiggle room with the bracket and it can potentially add more force downward. In fact I ended up filing the opening on one side so it had more room to move.
captain awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 02:49 PM   #987
Ebush

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain awesome View Post
I'm really surprised I haven't seen a header crack on my setup yet. With over 6k miles of street and 3 autocross events it hasn't popped up. Thankfully I just installed the Xforce exhaust with the flex pipe but still.

I assume you guys are installing the rubber hanger bracket and making sure it's not in tension before tightening down? There is some wiggle room with the bracket and it can potentially add more force downward. In fact I ended up filing the opening on one side so it had more room to move.

I'll check on that when I fix the broken mid pipe. I've always installed the header with the small pipe attached, and the hanger with metal bracket already on it. I've always been able to easily bolt the bracket on.
Old 05-10-2022, 12:22 AM   #988
Four_wheel_drifts

Drives: Whiteout track car; lava donor
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobe38 View Post
have yours been cracking w/ flex pipe? does Trip's have a flex pipe?

sorry i cant offer much solution , I'm more of data gathering for my own potential kswap
The standard Perrin flex section on their 3”.

It broke about 3” from the front pipe flange the first time and maybe 3” more toward the engine the second time.
Four_wheel_drifts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 10:02 AM   #989
jacobe38
@slothbrz on IG

Drives: Track BRZ - Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by Four_wheel_drifts View Post
The standard Perrin flex section on their 3”.

It broke about 3” from the front pipe flange the first time and maybe 3” more toward the engine the second time.
both times while you had a flex section? man, i'm sorry to hear that...do you have any ideas on how to prevent it from keeping happening?
jacobe38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 02:18 PM   #990
B T

Drives: 15 BRZ, 2003 MR2, '70 Elky, 06 TBSS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
What are you guys opinion on the driving dynamics after swapping? Currently running a built FA20 with edelbrock, but considering going with a lightweight option and removing all unnecessary accessories.
B T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 02:31 PM   #991
jacobe38
@slothbrz on IG

Drives: Track BRZ - Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by B T View Post
What are you guys opinion on the driving dynamics after swapping? Currently running a built FA20 with edelbrock, but considering going with a lightweight option and removing all unnecessary accessories.
hows this been going for you? miles, youre usage, etc.

I ask because I'm considering built fa20 w/ my jackson racing kit or kswap down the line
jacobe38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 02:35 PM   #992
B T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobe38 View Post
hows this been going for you? miles, youre usage, etc.
I ask because I'm considering built fa20 w/ my jackson racing kit or kswap down the line
For daily driving, it's fine and fun on E85, which is hard to come by here. The front end is quite a bit heavier than I want, first engine blew at 59k miles, 45k boosted. on IAG 2.5 closed deck block with 12.1:1 comp now. I do some heavy track days and drive it to work every day. Main reason I'd switch is ease of maintenance and save weight. It won't be a dd if I do the engine swap. I'm at about 15k on the built block and heads with no major issues.
The Following User Says Thank You to B T For This Useful Post:
jacobe38 (05-10-2022)
Old 05-10-2022, 03:02 PM   #993
ML

Drives: 13 White MT FR-S
Thanked 1,125 Times in 520 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by B T View Post

I'm at about 325hp and 2250lbs (56 front). It feels light and nimble and ready to kill you. Revving to 8500 never gets old, neither does seeing 70-80psi on the oil pressure gauge.

Build Thread https://www.instagram.com/mount_tele_lion/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbiont View Post
I swear I will punch your car if you put these on. Right in the face.
ML is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ML For This Useful Post:
B T (05-10-2022), Irace86.2.0 (05-12-2022), NoHaveMSG (05-10-2022), RedReplicant (05-10-2022)
Old 05-10-2022, 03:19 PM   #994
B T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML View Post
I'm at about 325hp and 2250lbs (56 front). It feels light and nimble and ready to kill you. Revving to 8500 never gets old, neither does seeing 70-80psi on the oil pressure gauge.
Haha, yours is at a level I'm not quite planning to take mine yet. Would like to still keep it able to drive on the road, just in case.