follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-23-2021, 04:40 PM   #1
im.rocketeer

Drives: 2013 Toyota-86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Diagnosing P0172!

Hello everyone

I have been getting a CEL P0172 where the car starts but stalls every time to a point where the engine dies. So far I found out that the engine is
running rich. The only thing that I changed out was the stock pump with a deatschwerks 65c. Drove about 3months before this problem. I can datalog the scenario with my openflashtablet but I don’t know which parameters to record. Can anybody help me find the cause of this.

[UPDATE]

-I datalogged the scene for a clearer picture.

https://datazap.me/u/ishfaq-rubab/st...log=0&data=1-5

Last edited by im.rocketeer; 08-18-2021 at 07:17 PM.
im.rocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 09:53 PM   #2
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by im.rocketeer View Post
Hello everyone

I have been getting a CEL P0172 where the car starts but stalls every time to a point where the engine dies. So far I found out that the engine is
running rich. The only thing that I changed out was the stock pump with a deatschwerks 65c. Drove about 3months before this problem. I can datalog the scenario with my openflashtablet but I don’t know which parameters to record. Can anybody help me find the cause of this.

Check your air filter, if it's VERY dirty, you'll run rich.

If you're still running rich after you have replaced or at least cleaned the air filter, then pull the mass air flow (MAF) sensor out and clean it with mass air flow sensor cleaner, let it dry completely before reinstalling it, then clear your ECU of any remaining codes.

Get back to us.
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 01:56 PM   #3
im.rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S2GT86 View Post
Check your air filter, if it's VERY dirty, you'll run rich.

If you're still running rich after you have replaced or at least cleaned the air filter, then pull the mass air flow (MAF) sensor out and clean it with mass air flow sensor cleaner, let it dry completely before reinstalling it, then clear your ECU of any remaining codes.

Get back to us.
I cleaned the MAF sensor with the crc maf sensor cleaner. cleaned the airfilter, cleared out the codes but after starting the engine. the CEL lights up then it stalls till it dies. im sure its not the MAF or the airfilter.. one thing I noticed while I was datalogging the incident was that the O2S2 voltage was 0 the whole time. can it be the source of the problem?
The Following User Says Thank You to im.rocketeer For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (08-16-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 06:41 PM   #5
im.rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I tried going through the possible causes as mentioned

1.MAF cleaned and reseated.
2.the two vacuum lines were clamped.

But the only thing that I didn't get was the oil catch can overflowing. (mine does not have a catch can) I apologize for being a noob but can anybody help me understand the fix.no 3 or redirect me to a guide or something?
Old 08-10-2021, 09:27 AM   #6
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I tried going through the possible causes as mentioned

1.MAF cleaned and reseated.
2.the two vacuum lines were clamped.

But the only thing that I didn't get was the oil catch can overflowing. (mine does not have a catch can) I apologize for being a noob but can anybody help me understand the fix.no 3 or redirect me to a guide or something?
Try posting a data log, some knowledgeable folks here may be able to see a problem in there. It should naturally record all parameters.

I would check ALL lines for leaks or cracks just in case. How old is your vehicle? Any mods on it other than the fuel pump? Were you experiencing any other issues or odd things building up to this?
What made you replace the fuel pump? Maybe there are other issues related to the fuel system? - Fuel pressure regulator, restricted fuel lines, bad fuel injectors.

P0172 is a pretty general code and could be a number of things.
1. Bad or dirty MAF (seems like you've checked that already). Though it could potentially still be the cause if it is simply not working properly anymore.
2. Faulty O2 sensor (unlikely as your car should turn over I would think and be able to run, but possible).
3. Spark plugs (unlikely unless you have been experiencing a loss of power for some time now).
4. Injectors (rare to be the issue on this platform as far as I know, but possible).
5. Fuel pressure regulator.

EDIT: Out of everything mentioned, I think the most likely culprit is either an air leak somewhere in the hoses or something with the fuel system causing you not to get enough fuel to keep the car running. So I would do a solid check on all the hoses, especially at their bends and clamps. Then look into fuel system related items that I mentioned above.

Last edited by Dzmitry; 08-10-2021 at 09:43 AM.
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 08:53 PM   #7
im.rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzmitry View Post
Try posting a data log, some knowledgeable folks here may be able to see a problem in there. It should naturally record all parameters.

I would check ALL lines for leaks or cracks just in case. How old is your vehicle? Any mods on it other than the fuel pump? Were you experiencing any other issues or odd things building up to this?
What made you replace the fuel pump? Maybe there are other issues related to the fuel system? - Fuel pressure regulator, restricted fuel lines, bad fuel injectors.

1. Bad or dirty MAF (seems like you've checked that already). Though it could potentially still be the cause if it is simply not working properly anymore.
2. Faulty O2 sensor (unlikely as your car should turn over I would think and be able to run, but possible).
3. Spark plugs (unlikely unless you have been experiencing a loss of power for some time now).
4. Injectors (rare to be the issue on this platform as far as I know, but possible).

EDIT: Out of everything mentioned, I think the most likely culprit is either an air leak somewhere in the hoses or something with the fuel system causing you not to get enough fuel to keep the car running. So I would do a solid check on all the hoses, especially at their bends and clamps. Then look into fuel system related items that I mentioned above.

Thanks i'll go through all of it again.
I datalogged the whole scenario, all fingers crossed!! thanks you all!

https://datazap.me/u/ishfaq-rubab/st...log=0&data=1-5
Dzmitry (08-16-2021)
Old 08-15-2021, 01:27 AM   #8
im.rocketeer

Quote:

@Dzmitry

Vehicle Mods

- HKS v1 Supercharger
- HKS Superfire Racing Spark Plugs (installed it while dealing with this issue.)
- Deatschwerks 65c
- Grimspeed Airfilter

** Apart from the stalling, the rpm hesitates to go up upon wide open throttle. A sort of popping sound came from the engine bay when instant accelerating. I suspected it was the DI injector seal and got it changed but the problem remained like before. I also checked almost all the vacuum lines including the one under the manifold and found no potential leaks.

Thank you @Dzmitry and everyone for your precious time.

Last edited by im.rocketeer; 08-15-2021 at 01:41 AM.
Dzmitry (08-16-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 07:42 AM   #9
Dzmitry

Garage
@steve99 @tomm.brz Any thoughts on the datalog?

I have little experience in reading these and understanding what's going on. As you stated before, O2 sensor 2 seems to remain at 0 volts the whole time, so maybe the issue?
Old 08-17-2021, 10:05 PM   #10
JohnH
Professional wrench

Drives: 2020 BRZ ST RS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
how much bigger is that fuel pump? Too much pump can over run the fuel pressure regulator. This will definitely make it too rich.

Obviously this can be other things, but I'd look at that if you've done the other common stuff.

I've seen this before.

Also, if these cars have old fashioned fuel pressure regulators, and they fail, it usually fails rich like this
Gruppe-S UEL header/overpipe
Wayne Rom Stg 2 tune
JohnH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 06:08 PM   #11
im.rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
how much bigger is that fuel pump? Too much pump can over run the fuel pressure regulator. This will definitely make it too rich.

Obviously this can be other things, but I'd look at that if you've done the other common stuff.

I've seen this before.

Also, if these cars have old fashioned fuel pressure regulators, and they fail, it usually fails rich like this
@JohnH Im afraid the pump that i'm currently using is specifically made for the 2013 86. I don't really think that might be the issue here.

-Pump Details
https://86speed.com/deatschwerks-fue...-dw65c-brz-frs
Old 08-18-2021, 06:12 PM   #12
im.rocketeer

Quote:
@steve99 @tomm.brz Any thoughts on the datalog?

I have little experience in reading these and understanding what's going on. As you stated before, O2 sensor 2 seems to remain at 0 volts the whole time, so maybe the issue?
Yes @Dzmitry, I suspect the same. I recently purchased the part but haven't installed it yet.. can you tell if 02s2 (shown in the OFT) is the downstream or upstream?

Last edited by im.rocketeer; 08-18-2021 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-19-2021, 08:08 AM   #13
Dzmitry

Garage
Quote:
Yes @Dzmitry, I suspect the same. I recently purchased the part but haven't installed it yet.. can you tell if 02s2 (shown in the OFT) is the downstream or upstream?
Sensor 2 is downstream, after the cat.
Old 08-19-2021, 12:52 PM   #14
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Sensor 2 is usually not used in aftermarket tune since it is for cat efficiency(I believe).
p1l0t (08-19-2021)