follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-13-2020, 12:04 PM   #1
paintdude258

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Removing a Full Blown FBM Oil Pan off BRZ motor

What up FT86 Fam,

I wanted to share some information that I sourced today straight from Full Blown Motorsports.

Back story - I blew my motor a few months ago, spun a bearing, and I am about install a new motor. Before I tore down the old motor and hoped to salvage the awesome oil pan from FBM, I decided to send them a few questions about the removal process to make sure I didn't bend or break the oil pan in the process, as is common during the OEM oil pan removal.

My questions to FBM:
1st - Is the oil pan ok to be reused?
2nd - If i can reuse it, how do you recommend I clean it to make sure no contaminants from my old motor contaminate the new motor?
3rd - Do you have any recommendations for me on how to get the oil pan off without denting or bending or hurting the FBM oil pan?

Response from FBM: "Hi blake it should be very easy to clean with just simple brake cleaner. Our pan is very strong and you can pry it off without worrying about it bending."

I didnt find anything about this topic specifically, so thought I would share in case someone winds up in the same boat as me in the future.

I will also update this post If I run into anything odd or weird or complicated during the uninstall process.
paintdude258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 09:35 PM   #2
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It is a cast oil pan with a much thicker flange than the stamped steel OEM one. The best way to remove it is to slide a blade between it and the block cutting as much of the sealant free as possible. As you do you can start to wedge a wide scraper in between the mating surfaces. You may have to hammer it in. Once you wedge it in you can continue cutting the sealant you can get to it. Once you feel you have all the sealant you can get to cut you can start to slowly pry off the pan. Cast aluminum will not bend. It's either going to come off or it is going to crack. Take it slowly working little by little. Once you get the pan off you can use a razorblade, brake clean and a scotchbrite pad to clean the remaining sealant off until you have a perfect surface. Brake clean can also be used to clean out the inside of the pan. The baffle is easily removed with a few bolts. Warning: you may need a bit of force as IIRC they a to have red loctite applied to the hardware. Keep cleaning with brake clean and fresh shop rags until spoltless. Once you get it cleaned the best you can you should be good to go. If you want to do a bit more cleaning most machineshops, mechanics and engine builder shop have a hot-tank (essentially a steam dishwasher for automotive parts) they can run the oil pan through to have full cleaning resulting in it looking brand new. They will probably charge you hand only need 1 day for turnaround.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kiske For This Useful Post:
paintdude258 (10-16-2020)
Old 10-15-2020, 01:35 PM   #3
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Brake clean and a brass brush work well to remove the sealant.
paintdude258 (10-16-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 10:54 AM   #4
paintdude258

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Tackled the job last night. I ended up taking the stock oil pan off the new used motor I picked up and the FBM pan off the old. The OEM pan did the same as before, bent it up to get it off, and popped off. The FBM pan on the other hand, the whole thing popped off all at once and made a noise that made me damn near jump out of my jeans! MUCH simpler and cleaner removal than the OEM one. Definitely some bearing material in there though, so tonight will be tackling the clean up job. Thanks for all the recommendations!
paintdude258 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paintdude258 For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (10-16-2020), Wally86 (10-19-2020)

Tags
fbm, full blown motorsports, oil pan, removal