follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Xero Limit
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 05-23-2020, 10:03 PM   #1
M0nk3y

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS / Chevy Colorado
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Verus Engineering UCW Rear Wing Install + Testing

Hey all,

If some of you are unaware - Verus Engineering has been putting a ton of time developing and testing their UCW Rear Wing. It's basically a universal application type wing but properly designed for specific applications like our FRS/BRZ/86 Chassis.

Verus a couple weeks ago put out an offer to submit an application to be chosen 1 of 5 to get early access to the first 5 production units of the UCW Rear Wing for our chassis to help test and get some lap time comparisons. I threw my name in the hat and was lucky enough to get chosen to be able to participate (Thanks again for the opportunity Verus!).

I received the wing this week, and of course naturally wanted to get in on ASAP. Set aside the day today to get it on and figured I'd show you guys how easy Verus made it for us to install such a critical Aero piece of the puzzle. Aside from this DIY, I'll be hitting some track events in June, starting with NCM June 6-7. The whole idea is to get some Apples to Apples comparisons with wing vs no wing. Since I purchased a whole spare trunk to mount the wing, it'll be pretty easy for me throughout the year as I visit new track to test back to back and hopefully show some pretty good data from an enthusiast perspective. Clearly, we know all the testing Verus has done on their end to validate their design. I'll be running a RaceCapture Track MK2 and I'll be pulling back all available CAN data @ 50hz as well as GPS at 25hz. I'll be able to record lap times and everything else, so hopefully we can show the value what Verus has brought to the table.

Onto the install! (Warning - this install is pre-Verus manual release. If anything as far as washer/bolt location is incorrect with their official release I'll be sure to edit accordingly)

If anyone has purchased anything from Verus in the past, you know their packaging of components is pretty convenient. As you can see this is pretty much everything you get + the wing which is secretly hiding

Verus provides some really nice drilling templates printed on some paper that you cut out and overlay onto the trunk. There are a lot of bends and angles to the trunk where this mount is going to go, so take your time and pay attention to where you end up.

From there, after I was fairly confident on my location for the template locations I went ahead and grabbed my brackets for the left and ride side respectively and overlaid them onto the holes. Sure enough, everything seemed to line up...for one exception however:

The top hole (on both sides) is slightly off center from the bracket hole location. No big deal, but this did throw me for a loop because I kept on thinking my template was laid wrong. Ideally, the hole should about 1/4" lower to center that hole, which..after a ton of time measuring and ensuring that this was the ok thing to do, I plotted a new center hole

Next thing you want to do is simply use a center punch to tap the sheet metal on our drill locations. This helps the drill bit not wander when it comes time to drill, which is going to be pretty critical.

I started out with a 1/8" drill bit. Specifically a Milwaukee Red Helix Cobalt drill bit. Super sharp, and honestly went through the sheet metal like butter. Really highly recommend buying a bit like this for clean pilot holes.

Time for the actual enlargement of the holes to accommodate the rivets provided in the kit. The shoulders on these rivets are pretty small (if you're at all familiar with the rivets used in the front splitter for example those have a much wider shoulder). It's really important to keep this hole as tight as possible. So I decided to mic the rivet and drill a hole just enough to fit.

I used a spiral step drill bit that I just purchased off Amazon. Including the awful non-focused picture below. I taped a diameter just below the actual mic'd diameter seen above to make sure I don't over drill. Then after the initial drill I went back to slowly enlarge the holes to their final diameter.

After test fitting the rivets. I did come into a small snag. The rivets for the lower bracket mounts would not fit flush with the trunk lid. After further investigation, the inner sheet metal kind of is in the way of the rivet. I took a small screw driver (probably should have used something else...) and hammered this sheet metal out of the way. Be careful to make sure you don't mistakenly hit your hole you just made and cause that diameter to increase

To make sure no rust forms, I took some touch up paint and roughly coated the exposed metal. No need for it to be pretty, this stuff is going to get covered up anyways

Time to install the Rivets. Verus included a hand tool to install the rivets. Personally I bought a tool to make it a bit easier. I know there is concerns with thread galling and didn't really want to mess around. This tool was ~$50 of so via Amazon and let me tell you, best investment ever. These rivets are pretty hefty and even using the tool it was some work to clamp them down. I would imagine using the hand tool and trying to turn with an allen wrench via their kit method would have been a tad more difficult. The one thing not in the photo that is a MUST. Make sure you coat the top of each Rivet with RTV Sealant for waterproofing

Use the provided 3M stickers to overlay the Rivets. I decided to put them over the bolt hole locations vs the actual mounting bracket because I figured it would be easier. Use your discretion.

Hardwork at this point is pretty much done. Time to attach the bracket with the provided hardware:

Assemble your uprights

You can now throw the wing on. The fit and finish and clearances between the uprights and mounts on the underneath of the wing is literally perfect. Goes to show all the time at the front of this install pays off big time now.

Throw on your endplates. I chose to upgrade my endplates to the CF offered version because why not?

At this point, you're ready to install the trunk back onto the car...or in my case swap trunks. If you've gotten this far with the wing install...4 bolts for the trunk is a breeze and I hope I don't need to cover that here.

And that's it! Time to admire your work, and thank Verus for offering something to our platform that I think a lot of people are going to enjoy.

Thanks guys. Hope you enjoyed!
Kyle H. - #89 STX
M0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M0nk3y For This Useful Post:
PulsarBeeerz (05-23-2020), the new guy (05-24-2020)
Old 05-23-2020, 10:04 PM   #2
M0nk3y

Reserved for Testing Data @ NCM June 6-7
Kyle H. - #89 STX
Old 05-23-2020, 10:04 PM   #3
M0nk3y

Reserved for Testing Data @ Mid-Ohio June 15th
Kyle H. - #89 STX
Old 05-23-2020, 10:04 PM   #4
M0nk3y

Reserved for Testing Data @ Pitt Race June 10th/July 4-5th
Kyle H. - #89 STX
Old 05-23-2020, 10:10 PM   #5
Joveen

Drives: Bone stock
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I was wondering when they would have released this wing. Looks amazing. I see a lot adjustability. How much downforce would this add to the car?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Joveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 12:31 PM   #6
M0nk3y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joveen View Post
I was wondering when they would have released this wing. Looks amazing. I see a lot adjustability. How much downforce would this add to the car?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Here’s a summary of what their testing has shown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kyle H. - #89 STX
The Following User Says Thank You to M0nk3y For This Useful Post:
Joveen (05-24-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 12:47 PM   #7
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 00 outback, 05 Colorado
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Looks good and and a simple install. Have been happy with every Verus product I have purchased.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote